Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How long should a liseuse last for?
Forever and a day 9 10.47%
Up to 50 years 2 2.33%
Up to 20 years 4 4.65%
Up to 15 years 1 1.16%
Up to 10 years 19 22.09%
Up to 5 years 39 45.35%
Up to 3 years 4 4.65%
Up to 2 years 4 4.65%
1 year 1 1.16%
They're just an expensive gadget and won't last 5 minutes: get used to it 3 3.49%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #46
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I still use the stereo system amp/receiver and speakers I bought in 1975, and the Atari 1040ST computer I bought in 1987 (for my music database). So I voted for "up to 50 years".

That's why I am leaning toward the jetBook Lite, which runs on AA batteries. However, the life expectancy of the jetBook LCD screen is a question mark for me.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
a lisuesue? -100 years.

A dedicated ebook reader? About 5 years. By that time the device has been so out-dated that even when it still works, you just want to have a new one...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #48
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
E-readers should last 5-10 years.
Trolls should go away in 5 minutes.
You should start leading by example.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #49
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Let's not start flaming, otherwise I shall have to put my moderator's hat on.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #50
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I voted for five years, but am hoping for much more. My worry is that there will be some terminal failure of the hardware - e.g. one of the page turning buttons. If/when that happens then I may be tempted to upgrade my liseuse. I guess because I view it as a super version of a book, I expect a similar lifetime!
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #51
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
I voted 5 years as MTBF - mean time before failure - barring any accidents of course (I cracked the screen on 2 Rocket eBooks in the first year!).

I tend to consider the active lifetime as a preferred gadget limited based on the attractiveness of new models. Starting with the PRS-500 I purchased the new model each year until the 700, which I returned. Since then, I'll be happy to get three years before succumbing to the charms of a new model, but my old one will likely live on either as a passed down model or sold here or ebay.

All that said, I do still have a working RCA 1100, RCA 1200, Gemstar 1150, Gemstar 2150 and eBookwise 1150.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
I still have quite old piece of electronics hanging around and working fine. I'm still using daily my circa 1995 HP 38G scientific calculator. Stored somewhere in a box I have an original Gameboy still in working order.

I expect no less from my 505, which feels a very well engineered product. Sure, the battery will someday have to be replaced, but it's relatively simple and easy with the unibody design of the 505.
I will probably replace it far sooner with a more advanced reader though.

Ps : lol @ all the foreign-words haters trolling around.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The long-term durability of eInk screens is current an unknown factor. We know that the 1st-gen screens (such as that of the PRS-500) did fade somewhat over time (long-time board members will remember innumerable threads on the subject!). The 2nd gen screens that most of us are now using seem relatively immune to the problem over the 2 years or so that they've been available, but who knows whether the screen will last 10 years, or 20? Only time will tell.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 AM   #54
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
I'd like to think my liseuses a closed self-sustaining environments.

I'm hoarding all the PD books I can find, I'm scanning my to-be-read paperbacks, and I'm buying a lot of books when sold internationally.
All in the hope to fill a couple of memory cards and make my readers independent from a computer.

I don't think it will be entirely possible, even if I can read at home with a power supply when batteries fail...
But that's how dedicated devices should work, IMHO.
And the same applies to media players: I'm waiting for a small 1TB device to store once for all my whole CD/LP collection in it...

I voted for 50 years, meaning infinite: it's very unlikely I'll be still alive then....
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #55
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
So how many dedicated ebook readers have you bought thus far? How many a year is that?

:P

I'm in the 5 year bracket, but I fear two years may be more of a realistic view.
I bought my first one in April. Since then I have purchased 3 more.

Last edited by SolRaven; 10-29-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Now why did this post before I was finished then post again? Weird.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #56
Cabe
Connoisseur
Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cabe has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone
In excess of 5 years, I tend to keep good care of my electronics and have never broken a laptop screen personally. My Sony TR5MP laptop is still operational (although the OS is showing the fact its never been reinstalled, I fear it so!) and will be 5 come November. I have high hopes for my 505 (silver of course )

My phones tend to suffer repeated trips to the pavement though.
Cabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #57
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
So how many dedicated ebook readers have you bought thus far? How many a year is that?

:P

I'm in the 5 year bracket, but I fear two years may be more of a realistic view.
I bought my first one in April. Since then I have purchased 3 more. Albeit one to replace one that my beau took to work and broke, but boy do I LOVE that Sangria Red! Ever since I saw it in person I wished I had one. I still love my broken blue one, but the red one?!! Wow!! I swear it improves my reading skills.

Last edited by SolRaven; 10-29-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #58
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I voted up to 5 years, although I think I was being a bit pessimistic...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #59
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I voted up to 5 years, although I think I was being a bit pessimistic...
I voted 5 years not because I think they won't work, but they'll have improved so much that I'll want a newer one.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #60
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
I voted 5 years not because I think they won't work, but they'll have improved so much that I'll want a newer one.
I was trying to ignore that as a factor
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote