Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #46
haiyeekayakee
haiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enoughhaiyeekayakee will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS650
I'm in Ireland and bought a 650 in a Sony shop about two weeks ago. I went back yesterday to buy another as a Christmas present only to be told they're all out of stock, and it's a nationwide problem (they're getting calls from people from all over the country for 650s).
They have 350's left though and the salesman said people are after the 650 just because of the sd slot. Beats me why though, I had had a play of the 350 and it's really, really nice so I got one of those instead.
haiyeekayakee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:49 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want a black 650 ... http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=027242805149

If you want a red 650 ... http://www.borders.com/online/store/...u=027242805163
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #48
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Sony is reporting that the Touch Edition is almost sold out in Japan. Plenty of 350, though. From Ubergizmo:

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives..._in_japan.html

Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #49
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I've just managed to find a a black 650, I had to try lots of shops and different area Sony Stores to get it though. Strangely enough, even though red wasn't originally available in the UK, that's the colour it's easiest to find here now. It is available at quite a few PC World and Currys stores in the Beds/Bucks area.

I was going to get the red one, but when I actually saw it, didn't like the outside silver rim and non-matching red shiny buttons. I much prefer the matching ones on the black version. Not that it really matters for me as I've just ordered a skin from Decalgirl.

I'm watching a 650 on Ebay and it's going for £206 so far - the price direct from Sony with the VAT back offer is only £170!
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #50
grissley
Enthusiast
grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.grissley has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-950sc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I'm watching a 650 on Ebay and it's going for £206 so far - the price direct from Sony with the VAT back offer is only £170!
Recently, I was checking the prs350 prices across the world (trying to get it somewhere in reasonable price and before Christmas).
The prices in UK are killers!
grissley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #51
WendyH
Enthusiast
WendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toysWendyH shares his or her toys

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
It is almost impossible to get a 650 in Sydney. I got my red one at Sony Central last month, then last week we went to Borders to get a black one for my daughter and they had plenty. This week when we wanted to buy one for my husband for Christmas they had sold out and so had every other Borders and Sony store. We managed to track one down at a Myer department store, but it was the last one they had and I had to get them to hold it for me. The Sony website shows them but you can't click on the page to buy one and it doesn't say when they will be back in stock. Everyone I have rung has said they won't have any until February 2011. The Borders website says back in stock February 2011. It seems there is a world wide shortage of the 650. We feel very fortunate to have three of them in our household.
WendyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #52
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Maybe this indicates that on a worldwide basis Sony is competing (hardware sales-wise) with Amazon and that it is only in the U.S. that the Kindle device dominates. If true, I bet Bezos isn't happy.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #53
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
When I bought mine, I showed it to my mom who immediately wanted one too - a red model with a red lighted sleeve. So I went back a week ago to the store I had purchased mine, but they were out of 650s, red or otherwise. After calling up several places in town, I finally located one at a Sony Center store. When I went pick it up, they told me I was lucky, it was one of the few remaining units, as they had shifted over 65 in a week almost immediately after receiving them.

I guess Sony Readers must be really popular
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #54
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Maybe this indicates that on a worldwide basis Sony is competing (hardware sales-wise) with Amazon and that it is only in the U.S. that the Kindle device dominates. If true, I bet Bezos isn't happy.
I was also thinking that was true. As the rest of the world has gone epub I would expect that epub readers would sell more than Kindles. Somehow I don't like to fact that when you buy Kindle ebooks you purchase them in US dollars wherever you are and get slugged an International transaction fee. I am quite impressed that I get charged $AUD when I buy from Kobo even though they are in Canada
Maybe the sales of the Sony 650 has ben unexpectedly high for Sony or maybe they are going to add Wifi into it to compete with Amazon. Who knows ?
Kindles are also sold out until Jan sometime.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #55
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
What has one to do, to discover, that Amazon Kindle exists? (in any country, not only US, by the way I don't get why situation in EU is any different from US as far as Kindle's market share goes) Visit amazon. Nearly all active readers go to www.amazon.<whatever> from time to time.
What has one to do, to discover, that Sony Readers exist? Be interested in ereaders and read a number of reviews, maybe one out of 6 reviews would mention Sony Readers.

So kindle has huge advantage and you can't blame it on marketing dept.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #56
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
I am quite impressed that I get charged $AUD when I buy from Kobo even though they are in Canada
Check your credit card statement - I get charged an international fee from them for my $USD purchases.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #57
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Check your credit card statement - I get charged an international fee from them for my $USD purchases.
That's Weird,
After checking my CC Statement online I can confirm that I don't get charged an International fee when I purchase from Kobo but I have been charged it when I have purchased from other US and UK ebook stores.
It's usually about 30 to 40 cents per ebook but It adds up and when the exchange rate moves adversely it will make purchases less attractive.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just took a look at Sony Style's website and the 650 is showing as in stock for black and out of stock for the red.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #59
pete_1967
Connoisseur
pete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguepete_1967 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony PRS-650
Still available in UK
Black:
ChiwawaUK selling through Amazon UK has them (at bit inflated price): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-eBook-R...5131770&sr=8-2
Looks like Cheapelectricals have them too: http://www.cheapelectricals.co.uk/ac..._prs-650b.html

Silver:
purelygadgets: http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/Sony-...ew/33735-SL/10
Power-on: http://www.power-on.co.uk/ProductDet...roductID=13220
Electromania: http://www.electromania.co.uk/produc...789#googlebase
we are electicals: http://dropship.weareelectricals.com...k-readers.html

Red:
Broadbuyer: http://www.broadbuyer.com/SONY-PRS-6...161245116.html

Just some from the top of search results, look for more shops: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=p...=next&start=10
pete_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #60
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_1967 View Post
Still available in UK
Black:
ChiwawaUK selling through Amazon UK has them (at bit inflated price): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-eBook-R...5131770&sr=8-2

Broadbuyer: http://www.broadbuyer.com/SONY-PRS-6...161245116.html
Amazon - PRS-600

Broadbuyer is an iffy website. It locks your browser window. You cannot go back. Even if you open history and click on a link of what you had before it would not leave Broadbuyer. Only closing down the window/tab helps. Being control freak it is a very frustrating experience when website takes control of my browser.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote