Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #46
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Yes, probably just graph paper would be easier and quicker but then I couldn't play with my toy as much. Anyway, here's a map for the short but cute adventure 9:05 created with Popplet.

It has been reduced a little, the idea is that the small red boxes attached to the rooms contain the articles found in the rooms. I think once the OS update that allows multitasking it will be a lot easier to create these.

Popplet does need a few improvements. There is no way to draw just a plain line (outside of the popplet) or to put a 90 degree bend in a line. This would be a limitation on organizational charts or schematic diagrams.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #47
madman
madman has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rique View Post
Wow, I truly feel like a dinosaur now. I always used to simply create a grid on writing paper with room names shown in row headings, and destinations shown in the column headings (N S E W NE NW SE SW U and D). Crude but effective - and faster than drawing boxes.

And I guess I could use "Numbers" for that.

-- Riq
You're not a dinosaur, I still have a working c64 and an apple][e and that's how we made games for them, even pen&paper D&D type stuff as well! I can't wait to play the Zork games on my ipad - this is awesome!
madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #48
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Thank you, Harry. This is a great find. For me, it's the best app for the iPad yet. It's tragic that Activision refuses to sell the Infocom games anymore.

Many thanks.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #49
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Thank you, Harry. This is a great find. For me, it's the best app for the iPad yet. It's tragic that Activision refuses to sell the Infocom games anymore.

Many thanks.
I agree. They could charge $10 on their website for all their games and rake in some dough.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #50
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I still have my Babelfish t-shirt... Without walkthroughs, I tore the hell out of that game. Took forever.

I want IF on my Sony now... Why did you have to bring back these memories? Oh infocom, you treated me so well!

Last edited by dorino; 06-09-2010 at 05:57 PM.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #51
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
I agree. They could charge $10 on their website for all their games and rake in some dough.
Or put them up for $.99 each on iTunes. All they have to put up is the little DAT files, how hard can it be?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #52
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Being that it's apple's store, probably fairly hard. Remember all the turmoil with the C64 app? Apple tries to avoid emulators, even when they're used legally.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #53
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well. apple doesn't allow interpreters, or apps with dynamic code execution. but frotz is already in there, so allowing you to download games should be nothing. they are just data files (databases actually) for the frotz engine.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #54
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.

It's odd, apple has made exceptions to that rule (like how you can buy the c64 app, yes?) but still seems to enforce it on new developers and such. Pity...

I actually never played Frotz. Was too young, and my brother didn't own it.
Still, played some of the later infocoms.

Hitchhiker's Guide is still my favorite, as said.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #55
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post

I actually never played Frotz. Was too young, and my brother didn't own it.

I may have misunderstood your comment, but Frotz is the name of an interpreter that allows playing the Infocom games on various platforms, not the name of an actual game.

BTW, for anyone that hasn’t seen this article, here is a link to blog from a fellow who found one of the backup drives from Infocom with a partially completed unpublished Douglas Adams game on it.

Unreleased Infocom

I found it very interesting.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #56
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

actually the c64 app isn't really an interpreter. apple had him change the app. the original app included the c64 BASIC interpreter which violated apple's rules. the one that was eventually released only plays set "cartridge" games that are coded into the app. no user-generate content is available. since the author is unable to go out and license some of the popular commercial games that were available at that time you're stuck with pretty much unknown freebies. needless to say the c64 app isn't selling as well as it could have.

i'd love to see an old apple // emulator, it could easily be done on the ipad with full screen. and at 143k a floppy i could load up boxes of my disks. unfortunately unlikely to ever happen.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #57
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post

i'd love to see an old apple // emulator, it could easily be done on the ipad with full screen. and at 143k a floppy i could load up boxes of my disks.
Ooooh, the original Castle Wolfenstein. Wasted many an hour of study hall on that game.

I'm not really into the jailbreaking scene - are there many emulators available?
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #58
scottjl
Reader of Books

nes and snes.. there used to be a PS one but i think it was discontinued. i thought the C64 one was available as well but he had to pull it to get into the app store. i think there is one for the gameboy. it's been a long time since i bothered to look for any of them. i believe someone attempted to port basklisk as well but it was buggy.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #59
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Interesting change to Apple's iPhone Developer License Agreement:
http://www.appleoutsider.com/2010/06/10/hello-lua/

Quote:
Unless otherwise approved by Apple in writing, no interpreted code may be downloaded or used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Documented APIs and built-in interpreter(s). Notwithstanding the foregoing, with Apple’s prior written consent, an Application may use embedded interpreted code in a limited way if such use is solely for providing minor features or functionality that are consistent with the intended and advertised purpose of the Application.
Bolded parts are new this week. Sounds like Apple is loosening up a bit on interpreted code.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #60
scottjl
Reader of Books

wow.. this is a very nice change. it would open the door to emulators. thanks!