Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Amazon doesn't "sell" Kindle eBooks. They license them.
Sure, but it is a one time fee perpetual lease. I'm not concerned about what happens to my ebooks after I die.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #47
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well, if some horrible fate befell my 505, I'd just get it replaced under warranty

But assuming for the moment that wasn't an option, I guess I would wait a couple of months to see if there was a new offering from Amazon (Kindle 2.0, anyone?) and then decide.

I had a Kindle for a few weeks, and would consider another, better Kindle model that addressed some of my previous concerns...but if that wasn't forthcoming, I'd definitely buy another 505.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 01:51 PM   #48
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, I can still backup my full library to my PC and I can still use them on my Kindle. Nothing changes that. Even if Amazon went away. There is no need for the Kindle to phone home to read the books.

BOb
Bob,
Lets not forget the specific thread we are in; what if your Kindle was lost or damaged? If Amazon no longer supports the Kindle, you won't be able to get a new one or even a used one to work with your DRM'd kindle files. Sure, I am sure it would not be hard to break Kindle DRM, since it is similar to Mobi, but then you would be a criminal according to DMCA.

No DRM, then it is a simple matter of burning the books to a backup media, and if the format they are in is no longer supported, you can probably find a way to convert them to a new format.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #49
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Sure, I am sure it would not be hard to break Kindle DRM, since it is similar to Mobi, but then you would be a criminal according to DMCA.
Yep, then I guess I would be a "criminal". Imagine me doing a horid thing such as reading ebooks that I purchased.

Quote:
No DRM, then it is a simple matter of burning the books to a backup media, and if the format they are in is no longer supported, you can probably find a way to convert them to a new format.
Billl... I admire your conviction. But, there are books I want to read that are only available in ebook form with DRM. It is not such a religious issue with me. Of course, I prefer DRM free (or a format I can crack) but that is probably more psychological than practical... as long as I can read it. I could of course buy the DRM free versions (pbook) and convert them (scan/ocr) myself. But, that is just to much trouble for me. If it were as easy as RIPPING a CD I would certainly do it. But even that some have said is not a decided leagal issue.

Lets not make this thread about DRM. I don't think that ever was intended. See the neverending thread thread.

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 01:56 PM   #50
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
While I agree at the current moment, it seems unlikely that Amazon will discontinue Kindle support, I would not say in the slightest that it is unlikely in the future. Consider the whole flap of Walmart deciding to discontinue its DRM servers. True they reversed their decision, but for a while there a lot of people who bought music from them were stuck with music that would not be transferable in the future (and still may not at some point in the future). I believe Yahoo did discontinue its support for the DRM'd music they sold.

Lets say that in 5 years the industry finally settles on ePub or something else as a standard and ultimately Amazon is forced to support it... how long do you think they are going to maintain support for Kindle formatted books? And what if Amazon actually goes bankrupt?

As for the flood or fire analogy; those acts of God and ultimately there is nothing you can do about them. A company deciding to no longer support a DRM'd format is not an act of God.
Okay, lets say this happens. I was sitting here thinking about the books I already have downloaded. I realized, that with the exception of 4 Stephen King books, my most treasured are the classics I downloaded for free. If I am forced to buy another brand of e-book reader, what am I out? Meanwhile, I have instant access to whatever book I choose to buy. Or download free. I have access to mobileread, feedbooks.com, or mnybks.net whether I am at home or across the country.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #51
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep, then I guess I would be a "criminal". Imagine me doing a horid thing such as reading ebooks that I purchased.
Reading is fine, as long as you don't circumvent the DRM on the book. Remember, DMCA makes it a crime to break DRM independent of any questions regarding fair use of said DRM'd work.

Quote:
Billl... I admire your conviction. But, there are books I want to read that are only available in ebook form with DRM. It is not such a religious issue with me. Of course, I prefer DRM free (or a format I can crack) but that is probably more psychological than practical... as long as I can read it. I could of course buy the DRM free versions (pbook) and convert them (scan/ocr) myself. But, that is just to much trouble for me. If it were as easy as RIPPING a CD I would certainly do it. But even that some have said is not a decided leagal issue.

Lets not make this thread about DRM. I don't think that ever was intended. See the neverending thread thread.

BOb
Bob, I suppose it may be a matter of conviction with me, but its not religious, its one of simple practicality. I make a good living, but I don't want to have to rebuy any books down the road. I also don't want to risk going to jail or paying heavy fines down the road because I decide to break DRM. The easiest way for me to avoid it is to avoid DRM. Yep, some books are not available to me in ebook form that way, but then again, lots of books are not available as ebooks period. But if enough of us vote with our dollars, perhaps more and more books will be made available DRM free and not tied to a specific device.

In any case, I agree, lets end the DRM discussion in this thread here and now. I won't say any more on this issue if everyone else agrees not to. (in this thread of course... I plan to happily continue in threads dedicated to DRM issues ... and to espouse my View Point to others looking to buy their first ebook reader .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #52
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
one question,
What happens if you lose your player; doesn't that mean you no longer can read drm format even on a new kindle? I mean,drm formats are only readable on 1 device,no?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #53
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
one question,
What happens if you lose your player; doesn't that mean you no longer can read drm format even on a new kindle? I mean,drm formats are only readable on 1 device,no?
If I"m understanding your question, say I lose my Kindle. Any of the books I bought can be re-downloaded on a new kindle for free.........they are stored at Amazon.

If thats not what you were asking, ignore.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:48 PM   #54
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Do you really think that will happen?
They've done it twice already.

Quote:
And again......no one is forcing anyone to buy anything.
And in the case of your Kindle eBooks, you didn't buy anything.

Quote:
I think a lot of the 'anti-kindle' propaganda is because its not available world wide. Well, that will change. The potential profits are too large to ignore.
You got that right.

Make them pay every time they want to read a book and don't let them buy a copy that they can read forever. The potential for profits is pretty good in that business model - assuming that consumers will go for it.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #55
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
one question,
No, they are readable on 6 devices I believe. A family can share eBooks from one account.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #56
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
They've done it twice already.

And in the case of your Kindle e Books, you didn't buy anything. Yeah, I did. I bought a copy of a book I can read for as long as I want. I don't care that its limited to reading on the Kindle. Its the only device I have, and way better than reading on a laptop.

You got that right.

Make them pay every time they want to read a book and don't let them buy a copy that they can read forever. The potential for profits is pretty good in that business model - assuming that consumers will go for it.

We aren't paying every time we want to read a book. We are paying every time we want to download a book. Apparently, judging from the world wide screaming for Amazon to go to Canada, Europe, India and Saudi Arabia for Chrissakes, consumers ARE going for it.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-16-2008 at 02:58 PM. Reason: spelling. I hate spelling errors!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #57
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
So does that mean I can download the .drm encrypted book on a multitude of kindles at the same time?

How does Amazon check on how many kindles I upload a book?

And, also,
Does that mean I can download the book onto anything different than a Kindle?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So does that mean I can download the .drm encrypted book on a multitude of kindles at the same time?

Yes. A Kindle's s/n is registered to an Amazon account. This is similar to Mobi DRM... but they allow 6 s/ns to be registered at the same time. If you d/l a book that is encrypted to one of your registered Kindles, that kindle will be able to read that book.

Actually, they don't know how many kindles you d/l the book too. Unless you use Whispernet... I assume that is logged somewhere... but probably not stored for to long.

Quote:
Sure, it just won't work because that reader won't be able to decrypt it.

BOb
Old 10-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #59
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:

And, also,
You can have up to 6 Kindles registered to the same account, and share books you've purchased to those accounts.

Go to Amazon.com, and checkout the informational video. Also, check the FAQ thread here.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...00127470&#what

No, you can't download kindle books to Sony.........legally.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

And, also,
You can only purchase Kindle books if you have a Kindle.

My understanding of how to share content is; you could own 1 Million Kindles (all registered to the same account). The Kindle that placed the order will receive the book via Whispernet. Then 5 other Kindles (for a total of 6) can download to a computer and transfer the books via USB.

Once those 6 have finished the book, they delete it from the Kindles and the next 6 in line can download to computer and transfer via USB. And so on and so on and so on.

Basically only 6 Kindles at a time (on the same account) can share the same book.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buy, ebook, lose, reader