Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #46
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I've settled on one book per device...but that ends up making the less used device book move so slowly that I forget where I am in the story and what's happening.
That's basically why I'm buying a Kindle 3; simple synchronisation of books regardless of the device - I don't even try the same books between an iPad/Cybook as it's just not worth the effort.

HTH Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #47
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
I found this good youtube video comparing an iPad and an eReader side by side in sunlight.

Skip 2 min into this video.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQm9...eature=related
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I just bought an iPad a week ago, and so far, have not been that interested in reading on it. (Great for games, web, etc.) To me, the text just does not look as clear as my Kindle. However, for most other things, I find it to be far better than my pc monitor, and easier on my (terrible) eyes.

I think I could read on it, but still prefer the Kindle for books. The iPad is kind of heavy for the way I typically hold a book.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #49
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree to the post above. I still prefer my PRS600/505 for reading novels over the ipad. I tried once but gave up. But for colored books/mags it's just awesome (besides the convenient surfing from the couch )
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #50
Cassoaki
Cassoaki began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Oops; deleted my post because I wandered too far off topic.

Last edited by Cassoaki; 09-03-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Cassoaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #51
jamesbeat
Connoisseur
jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.jamesbeat once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I don't have an iPad, but I do have an iPhone.
I've found that I hardly ever use my Sony PRS505 any more!
The reasons are threefold:

Firstly, I always have my iPhone with me. I have to remember to take my eink device with me and I don't carry a bag, but my iPhone is always in my pants pocket.

Secondly, I read a lot in the dark.
I like to read before I go to sleep. The light is always off because my wife goes straight to sleep rather than reading first, so the illuminated screen is perfect.

What may be perceived as glare is actually an advantage in a dark room, the illuminated LCD is much easier to read from than the various rather disappointing lighting solutions available for eink readers.
Using Stanza (which I believe is superior to iBooks) a vertical swipe of the finger instantly adjusts illumination.

The third reason is that Stanza on the iPhone has a proper menu system, which makes it easy to find any book from a large library.
I'm sorry to say that the software on the Sony is incredibly badly written, so much so that my dream of having an entire library on the device was unrealizable.
There is a project on these forums to hack the firmware to make it more useful, and it is orders of magnitude better than the original firmware, but you can't polish a turd...
The firmware is by far the worst thing about the Sony. I feel like I'm constantly fighting against it. Firmware should be 'transparent' in use, not a chore. Using the Sony Reader is like using one of those crappy datapads from the early '90's and there's no excuse for it.

I'd say that although an eink reader is slightly better at what it does, given all the other stuff an iPad can do, the difference would not be enough to persuade me to buy an eink device over an iPad.

If you have to choose one or the other, go for the iPad. If you can afford both, get both.
jamesbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #52
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thymaster View Post
I found this good youtube video comparing an iPad and an eReader side by side in sunlight.
Quote:
if you're looking for an eReader, stick to an eReader... but if your looking for a tablet, iPad is a really good deal
in other words: iPad is a lame eReader, claims the reviewer. In a similar study, I compared the jetbook and iPad on a moonless midnight... and concluded the iPad was far superior as I couldn't see anything on the jetbook.

In bright light--either outdoors or under bright fluorescents--the iPad sucks. Otherwise, it's a most excellent eReader; i love it.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #53
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
In bright light--either outdoors or under bright fluorescents--the iPad sucks. Otherwise, it's a most excellent eReader; i love it.
Having spent a few days this week with an iPad I'd have to extend "bright light" to "even moderately bright light". It was unusable in the conservatory and much of the kitchen. We had to retreat to an inside corridor of the house at one point.

But... what a fun device it is when you can see what's on the screen!

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #54
Iain
Enthusiast
Iain began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Has any one tried any of the anti-reflective coatings? Do they work? Which are the best?

I was reading an ibook on my iPad yesterday outside around noon in clear skies, but it was tiring and difficult. You had to angle the iPad so the reflections did not obscure the text and even then it was a struggle to read.

Perhaps we need an eInk for outside and an iPad for inside?

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #55
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

I,ve been looking into anti glare screens on amazon, but all of them seemed to still look glossy. Is there a screen with some matte finish like on dedicated ereaders?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #56
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain View Post
Has any one tried any of the anti-reflective coatings? Do they work? Which are the best?
As mentioned further up the thread, I've had one for a while (from Switcheasy, the case people) and it's cut down on reflections significantly, albeit at some small cost to clarity of fine text. Overall I find it better with the matt screen protector than without.

Quote:
Perhaps we need an eInk for outside and an iPad for inside?
I think this was mentioned early on in the thread as well - it's what seems to work best for many people, myself included

Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 AM   #57
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
I think this was mentioned early on in the thread as well - it's what seems to work best for many people, myself included
Pete
I'd like to include me here, too
Old 09-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #58
txvoodoo
txvoodoo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Interesting discussion. I have both a Kindle and an iPad. I think if you're limited to buying one device, you have to think about what you want to do with it. I think the iPad is a great media consumption device - video, music, podcast, etc. Also, it's great for news apps, games.

I tried using it for ebook reading, but wasn't very happy with it. For just straight reading, I prefer my Kindle. The weight of it is ideal, the lack of glare means my eyes don't get tired. Add in that it's also far better on battery usage.

I still really enjoy my iPad - I just read with the Kindle.
txvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #59
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
I,ve been looking into anti glare screens on amazon, but all of them seemed to still look glossy. Is there a screen with some matte finish like on dedicated ereaders?
I have the following on my iPad, and it has a nice matte finish. There is still some reflectivity, but much less. Note that I have this on solely for glare-reduction, and it makes a big difference.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/acces...-film-set.html

Power Support generally makes some of the best screen protectors/films out there. There is a real difference between their stuff and other vendors.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote