Notices

Old 02-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #46
Kamikuza
Connoisseur
Kamikuza began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle Previewer uses kindlegen to produce a Master MOBI that includes the older MOBI7 and newer KF8 in a single file. Kindle devices and apps will use the KF8 portion if they support that format or the MOBI7 portion if they do not.
So mobi is fine then
Kamikuza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:35 PM   #47
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Can you elaborate on that? Why KFX is "messing up" your heading sizes? Can you show us? I'm genuinely curious as to what's happening here.

Don't get me wrong--I personally prefer mobi, as a bookmaker. But I'm not clear on why KFX would mess up your heading sizes. What's your CSS?

Hitch
Using all the default settings in Calibre, so there may be a setting there, but ...

If I do a title page and have something like

<h1 style="font-size:5em;">Title</h1>

it just appears to revert to either whatever is declared in the stylesheet or the "default" 2em.

It also messes with table layout.

I suspect it's something to do with Calibre's conversion. I've stuck with KDP for a long time because what I get there looks almost exactly like what I get on-screen in Sigil.
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #48
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
Using all the default settings in Calibre, so there may be a setting there, but ...

it just appears to revert to either whatever is declared in the stylesheet or the "default" 2em.

It also messes with table layout.

I suspect it's something to do with Calibre's conversion. I've stuck with KDP for a long time because what I get there looks almost exactly like what I get on-screen in Sigil.
Ah. Calibre. Sorry, can't help there.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:32 PM   #49
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikuza View Post
  • Inline styles are usually a bad idea.
  • You might want to follow jhowell's suggestion and use the command line interface if you want the cleanest conversion from your source file to KFX with no manipulation of formatting by calibre's conversion pipeline. If you're not a command line person, you can also use my KindleGen Sigil plugin, which uses the command line interface of the KFX output plugin to generate KFX files.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #50
Kamikuza
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
  • Inline styles are usually a bad idea.
  • You might want to follow jhowell's suggestion and use the command line interface if you want the cleanest conversion from your source file to KFX with no manipulation of formatting by calibre's conversion pipeline. If you're not a command line person, you can also use my KindleGen Sigil plugin, which uses the command line interface of the KFX output plugin to generate KFX files.
That might explain why Calibre creates ten thousand classes...

Oh that last one looks like a nice idea. KFX files automatically hyphenate on the Kindle, don't they?
Advert
Old 03-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #51
Kyriosity
Kyriosity began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Previewer, Kindle for PC, Kindle
Just wondering what the consensus is on exporting from Kindle Previewer for books to be distributed by Amazon. Does Amazon now prefer KPF over MOBI? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the end user for each option?

Thanks!

~Valerie
Kyriosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #52
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The epub2 format is best option to upload to KDP.
Testing on real Kindles is better than an app or Kindle Previewer. At a minimum a Kindle Keyboard and a PW3.

Mobi is nearly the worst to upload to KDP. The MS docx format (even from LO Writer) is better than Mobi upload, but a verified epub2 is better still.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #53
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
How happy I am to read that! I have been doing this since January 2012, when Hitch told me it was possible, and I've never looked back (or upgraded to epub3).
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #54
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Testing on real Kindles is better than an app or Kindle Previewer. At a minimum a Kindle Keyboard and a PW3.

Mobi is nearly the worst to upload to KDP. The MS docx format (even from LO Writer) is better than Mobi upload, but a verified epub2 is better still.
Well....that's not really what I'd say. Saying that 'MOBI" is the worst...I mean, that's like saying that tacos are bad, but pot roast is good--when in fact, you can make one (tacos) from the other (pot roast). When my firm gives MOBI files to our customers, those are built from ePUB2. So...that's a distinction without a difference.

Because we're a commerical firm, too, (with picky-ass customers!) we use MQs in the ePUBs that are used to build those mobis, to optimize the file for this environment or that.

If you mean "MOBI built from a Word file through Calibre" or some other farrago, I'd agree with you. :-)

Hitch
Old 03-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #55
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriosity View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is on exporting from Kindle Previewer for books to be distributed by Amazon.
Don't submit a Calibre-created MOBI/AZW3 or anything like that into Amazon... that's just asking for trouble.

Kindle Previewer is the official tool to use.

There's also:
  • KindleGen
    • Commandline tool.
  • Kindle Create
    • Designed to take your original document in, then let you make changes/adjustments to the text/formatting within the ebook.
    • DO NOT use this piece of junk.
      • Any changes made won't make its way back to the source document. So in the future, if you update your Word document to "Book v1.1", you'll have to redo all your work.
      • Best to fix your actual document (using Styles), then keep using Kindle Previewer.

Side Note: For more information on using Styles to clean your documents, see the middle of my post in "MS Word vs Open Office Word". I link to two videos on the why/how of Styles, and why they'll make your life WAY easier.

Quote:
Does Amazon now prefer KPF over MOBI? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the end user for each option?
KPF is just Amazon's newer packaging format.

KPF was initially designed for Kindle Create, but now it's an option (on by default) in Kindle Previewer. I believe Amazon pushed it just to make it easier to share files between KC<->KP.

Personally, for now, I'm just sticking with the "Dual MOBIs". In Kindle Previewer, press File > Export > MOBI.

This keeps the workflow exactly the same as it has been for years and years...

Side Note: For more details on all the different Amazon formats (MOBI/KF8/KFX/[...]), see my Post #29+ in "Epub-problems in tablets".

Quote:
Well....that's not really what I'd say. Saying that 'MOBI" is the worst... [...]

If you mean "MOBI built from a Word file through Calibre" or some other farrago, I'd agree with you. :-)
Yeah. That's why I try to specify "Dual MOBI".

There's just too much confusing discussion and nonsense information out there about MOBI/KF7/AZW, KF8/AZW3...

It kind of stinks that KF7 is still hanging around our necks. KF8 is great, since it's pretty much EPUB. And KFX... *spits on the ground*!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-17-2020 at 05:33 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well....that's not really what I'd say. Saying that 'MOBI" is the worst...I mean, that's like saying that tacos are bad, but pot roast is good--when in fact, you can make one (tacos) from the other (pot roast). When my firm gives MOBI files to our customers, those are built from ePUB2. So...that's a distinction without a difference.

Because we're a commerical firm, too, (with picky-ass customers!) we use MQs in the ePUBs that are used to build those mobis, to optimize the file for this environment or that.

Hitch
I think we need to to say dual-format Mobi for dual-format Mobi and Mobi for Mobi so nobody can get confused as to which format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
And KFX... *spits on the ground*!
Solution. Just figure out what doesn't work when converting from Kf8 to KFX and do that every time so the conversion failed and then no more KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #58
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Solution. Just figure out what doesn't work when converting from Kf8 to KFX and do that every time so the conversion failed and then no more KFX.
I just don't like it because of the DRM, and instead of using HTML, it's converting to JSON and adding in all this other proprietary nonsense.

Where KF8 can pretty much converted back to "the source EPUB" with minimal distortion.

You need open book formats/standards, not locked-down proprietary formats.

Side Note: KFX itself is "okay" for reading + Enhanced Typesetting and better kerning, etc. etc... but as you've discussed before, those rendering enhancements could've been backported to KF8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think we need to to say dual-format Mobi for dual-format Mobi and Mobi for Mobi so nobody can get confused as to which format.
Kind of like how we got a lot of the posters here specifying "This only works in EPUB3/ADE, doesn't work in Kindle..."

I know Hitch is one of the good ones, explaining all the difference between the different "MOBIs" and Amazon formats.

It's just that there's all this other awful information out there. (I believe it was all discussed in detail in the linked topics above.)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-17-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I know Hitch is one of the good ones, explaining all the difference between the different "MOBIs" and Amazon formats.
Yes, thank yew, thank yew verra much....

Hitch
Old 03-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #60
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyriosity View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is on exporting from Kindle Previewer for books to be distributed by Amazon. Does Amazon now prefer KPF over MOBI? What are the advantages/disadvantages to the end user for each option?
I have also wondered whether or not publishing a book using a KPF file produced by the Kindle Previewer results in anything different in the final published book compared with uploading a Mater MOBI or an EPUB source file.

If anyone ever does ever publish a book using a Previewer KPF I would like to know the ASIN so that I can check it out.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote