Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM   #571
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Fair enough! If you can figure out how to set it up, teach us all. I'd be interested!

But that would primarily be for developing Mer, right? Which would be fine, because we need to leave Hasty and move to Jaunty, which Mer is based on.

I think at the current exchange rate, your info was actually closer to 60 satang.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #572
Suwat
Enthusiast
Suwat began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, SmartQ7
Quote:
I think at the current exchange rate, your info was actually closer to 60 satang.
Which bank are you doing the currency exchange? I'd like to buy a lot of US$. Last I checked, my 2 satangs were only worth one thirty-fifth of 2 cents, meaning my comment's worth that much.

Joke aside. Being a linux noob, I thought that Nokia Sandbox could provide an easier-to-use tools to compile and manage sources, and one only need to change the INCLUDE files and such. So, it's more complicate than that. I think I'd better keep my silence.
Suwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #573
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

And there I was, thinking that your comments were worth the same as mine! Perhaps more!

And the Thai government likes that exchange rate -- while my government likes cheap dollars... if my gov't gets its way, your comments will be worth even more!

I've never cross-compiled, so I'll leave it to you -- if you think it's time to wait for an expert to come along, I'll definitely take your advice.

But keep your eyes open for the ARM boot process -- we might be able to do a lot if we knew that.

m a r
Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #574
Suwat
Enthusiast

Quote:
But keep your eyes open for the ARM boot process -- we might be able to do a lot if we knew that.
I'm a bit confused, here. I thought all linux systems have the same core/kernal compiled for different architectures and different hardware drivers/layers. The boot process is at the kernal level and should be technically similar, if not the same, whether it's ARM or x86.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #575
rogue_ronin
Banned

There are lots of ways to boot, and there is no BIOS. So I think that there is something to be figured out here.

m a r
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #576
Suwat
Enthusiast

There should be some sort of BIOS in the q7. At least, it can read SD card either internal or external and then boots from there or just reads the firmware from external and unpacked and writes them to internal SD. And from what we see on how it can multi-boot WinCE/stock OS/Mer etc., that piece of software is more capable than we thought. For the booting process, the Mer people should know the detail. I read somewhere that someone on the team said that Mer packaged and boot the same way as the stock OS. I might remember wrongly though.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #577
serwei
Connoisseur
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
The ARM boot processes should be similar, I don't think it needs a BIOS like a PC. the ARM's bootstrap should be a quick jump into the kernel code...
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #578
Suwat
Enthusiast

How to get rid of "My Documents" icon

Hi there, on the q7 desktop there's an icon "My Documents". Can it be deleted without ill-effects? The property sheets said it's a folder(inode/directory) with chmod property equals '000'. Untouchable? Since I'm a linux-noob and with that kind of property, I don't dare delete it. Please advice.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 PM   #579
rogue_ronin
Banned

Lots of people would like to be rid of it, but it is actually part of PCManFM (the file manager, that manages the desktop, too.) So, nope, can't be rid of it yet -- although the new version of it will likely be much more configurable -- should we ever figure out how to upgrade to Jaunty.

m a r

ps: remove PCManFM if you really hate it. But then you'll have to find a desktop manager, and likely a file manager too. PCManFM is really light, and is an integral part of LXDE.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #580
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Hi guys, just have a few questions about the functionality.
1) The device can't handle big pdf files, how big can it handle?
2) Is there anyway to install applications like lingoes (dictionary) or at least run in from USB?
Cheers
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #581
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

And 3) is there a way to add ram like SD card on this one/ 128 seems too slow
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #582
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
And 3) is there a way to add ram like SD card on this one/ 128 seems too slow
No, unless you are extremely brave and a soldering GOD , or just plain bonkers even then it's unsure whether the OS would recognise/be able to use it.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #583
jshzh
Addict

Thank Nation.A.List :-))

I heard N800 has the same 128 RAM and can handle almost any PDF with just a little deplay (5-6 seconds) to open 50-60M files

How big can Q7 handle? Can the dictionary pop up on any texts? webpage, doc, and text-based pdf? I found someone on the internet say it has a large collection dictionaries to add. Sounds good for people who read in different languages
Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #584
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Thank Nation.A.List :-))

I heard N800 has the same 128 RAM and can handle almost any PDF with just a little deplay (5-6 seconds) to open 50-60M files
I have a Nokia n810, and that's simply not true. For PDFs over about 10 MB, there are a few that crash it altogether and for most it takes between 20 and 90s seconds to open and 15 to 60 to turn a page. I'm considering a Q& both because of the larger screen and the fact that it's processor is more than half again as fast, but I still don't expect PDF reading to go swiftly.
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #585
jshzh
Addict

Thanks. I read the Chinese forum for smart devices. It seems that pdf files under 10M open instantly, about 50M 5-6 seconds, over 100M not recommended.

Now they have dual systems pre-installed version (with 4G SD, not sure it is SDHC class 2 or 4). I suppose under Wince Lingoes will run (maybe even pop-up?) so a reader can add dictionaries of many languages. Lingoes run in pdfs on my XP, not sure about foxit on Q7. Otherwise at least Stardict runs on Q5 and Q5. Certain settings need to be done before one can swipe the stylus for definition in fbreader. Stardict should work in Foxit according to their website but I didn't see comments on the forum.

I am thinking to ask a friend to bring one from China next week. About 208CAN$ (1298RMB), including 4G SD card and genuine Wince. Fits my needs, budget, and gadget fetish:-) Just wish the ram was larger. The Sony 600 is 399 plus tax here in Canada. Crazy.

They are launching a 3G version but I don't think I need it. That is a real "commodity fetish"...

Last edited by jshzh; 08-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.