Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #526
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
When any site, illegal or not, can't be accessed without the site's owners having a chance to defend themselves against such action, their rights are indeed affected.
They were given the opportunity to demonstrate that they were a legitimate business by complying with requests to remove links to copyright-infringing material. They declined to do so. So yes, they've lost the "right" to continue to offer copyright-infringing material to people in the UK as a consequence of their own actions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #527
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They were given the opportunity to demonstrate that they were a legitimate business by complying with requests to remove links to copyright-infringing material. They declined to do so. So yes, they've lost the "right" to continue to offer copyright-infringing material to people in the UK as a consequence of their own actions.
It is more that the people in UK have lost the right to access the legal material at certain sites. Seem to me to be like blocking all post and packages from certain places just because some of them contain contraband.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #528
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is more that the people in UK have lost the right to access the legal material at certain sites. Seem to me to be like blocking all post and packages from certain places just because some of them contain contraband.
The sites have brought it entirely upon themselves by failing to comply with take-down requests. They have nobody to blame for that but themselves.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #529
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Lets be serious here, nobody that's tech savy in at least small way has lost anything. (Maybe some mamas and papas in 50s and 60s at best)
You cant ban people from getting things on internet illegally as long as they have connection.
The only way they could have stopped piratebay, was to take it down, like they did with megaupload.
But then another piratebay would pop up, because all of piratebay torrents
weigh 75 MB. Take the piratebay down, and another sites will pop up like mushrooms after the rain. I mean how much space do you need to keep 75MB online?

All this legal action is waste of time and money. Internet cant be regulated in this way. I am not even sure it can be regulated at all.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #530
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Lets be serious here, nobody that's tech savy in at least small way has lost anything. (Maybe some mamas and papas in 50s and 60s at best)
You cant ban people from getting things on internet illegally as long as they have connection.
The only way they could have stopped piratebay, was to take it down, like they did with megaupload.
But then another piratebay would pop up, because all of piratebay torrents
weigh 75 MB. Take the piratebay down, and another sites will pop up like mushrooms after the rain. I mean how much space do you need to keep 75MB online?

All this legal action is waste of time and money. Internet cant be regulated in this way. I am not even sure it can be regulated at all.
You appear to be suggesting that it's not worth taking action against criminals merely because it's not possible to wipe out all crime. That's not an attitude that I can agree with, I'm afraid.
Advert
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #531
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well whether we agree or not is irrelevant.
On the other hand, I wasn't suggesting what you concluded.
What you can take from my post is this:
The legal action you take in real world and which works there, doesn't work in world wide web.

Last edited by Geralt; 03-11-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #532
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Well weather we agree or not is irrelevant.
On the other hand, I wasn't suggesting what you concluded.
What you can take from my post is this:
The legal action you take in real world and which works there, doesn't work in world wide web.
Apologies if I misunderstood you. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that this action will wipe out piracy; clearly it won't. But it's certainly a step in the right direction. The only way to tackle these criminal organisations is one site at a time. The is certainly (to my mind) a better approach than that of prosecuting individual downloaders.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-11-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #533
Geralt
Witcher

Quote:
Apologies if I misunderstood you. I don't think that anyone is suggesting that this action will wipe out piracy; clearly it won't. But it's certainly a step in the right direction. The only way to tackle these criminal organisations is one site at a time.
No problem.
The way they are tackling them as you said is what doesn't work here. Legal method is the way to go in real world, but its just laughable if applied online. It doesn't work. You take one site down, another one pops up. Internet works faster then any court can.
Obviously lawyers and courts have a hard time dealing with this and they still haven't. Honestly I think people will find this ruling as minor annoyance, if even that, and go about their business as usual.

I don't think piracy will ever go away. Of course that is my opinion, and you're free to hate it, disagree with it, take offence to it, not care for it or agree with it. As I said whether we agree or not makes no relevance at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #534
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, I entirely agree with you. Piracy has been around for centuries, and will probably always be around. But, with the greatest respect, I don't think that accepting piracy as a fact means that no steps should be taken to try to combat it. People who operate web sites are not "above the law", as the founders of TPB found out, for example. It's far better to try to tackle the problem at source - go after the sites - than it is to go after individual downloaders.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #535
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
No, I entirely agree with you. Piracy has been around for centuries, and will probably always be around. But, with the greatest respect, I don't think that accepting piracy as a fact means that no steps should be taken to try to combat it. People who operate web sites are not "above the law", as the founders of TPB found out, for example. It's far better to try to tackle the problem at source - go after the sites - than it is to go after individual downloaders.
True.

But until there is a legal offer that matches the customer's wants and needs, they won't go anywhere.
The new game of throne season will be aired in France, with subtitle, one week after the US airing.
That will do more to reduce piracy than blocking websites IMHO...
They need to stop complaining and start working on "Why do people prefer the illegal way ?"

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-11-2013 at 06:33 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #536
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
They need to stop complaining and start working on "Why do people prefer the illegal way ?"
Because it's free. Unless you're suggesting that copyright holders give everything away free of charge, how are you going to stop people from downloading stuff for free? Eg, I look on Amazon and "Game of Thrones, Season 2" is available on DVD for £25 (€29). If I can easily download it free of charge, why would I pay £25 for it? The best approach - IMHO - is to remove temptation and prevent people from casually accessing the sites where it can be accessed for nothing.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #537
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Because it's free. Unless you're suggesting that copyright holders give everything away free of charge, how are you going to stop people from downloading stuff for free? Eg, I look on Amazon and "Game of Thrones, Season 2" is available on DVD for £25 (€29). If I can easily download it free of charge, why would I pay £25 for it? The best approach - IMHO - is to remove temptation and prevent people from casually accessing the sites where it can be accessed for nothing.
The price part is only part of the problem.
It's also about DRM, geo-restiction, anti piracy "ads" on dvd you've paid for.... All the crap the legit user have to deal with, and not pirates...
You've said it was easy to download stuff, trouble is, the legal offer is not as easy.

You don't need to make them free, affordable is enough. A price where the customer don't fell it's a rip off.
Or use some ad supported model.

Admitting they succeed in removing all illegal sources, if the legal offer don't exist, or is at price customer feel too expensive, they still won't sell.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #538
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Were they obligated by law in the place where they are located to comply? If MR would be asked to remove books that are infringing on copyright that is valid in the UK do they have to do comply?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #539
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I find it obscene that you make any comparison regarding copyright infringement to something as illegal, immoral and disgusting as child pornography.

My wife was sexually molested by a family friend and a relative from the age of 8 to the age of 14. The experiences she endured have caused significant mental scarring.

To trivialise such crimes thus in your post is truly obscene.
I did not trivialize crimes against children. Just the opposite, I find it offensive that you are twisting my words and are making it sound as if I said that child abuse and copyright infringement are equally bad. Using this extreme example I pointed out that it would be the logical extension of the position taken by some forum members that websites are only responsible for observing local laws where the site is situated and should be free to distribute their material worldwide. A slippery slope indeed when people take that legal position.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-11-2013 at 08:43 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #540
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I did not trivialize crimes against children. Just the opposite, I find it offensive that you are twisting my words and are making it sound as if I said that child abuse and copyright infringement are equally bad. Using this extreme example I pointed out that it would be the logical extension of the position taken by some forum members that websites are only responsible for observing local laws where the site is situated and should be free to distribute their material worldwide. A slippery slope indeed when people take that legal position.
Are you suggesting that as long as people in the UK are blocked from seeing crimes against children on the internet all is right with the world?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote