Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #481
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
As I said, I frequently change the font size while reading, depending on how tired my eyes are, and whether or not I'm wearing my glasses
Ooops. Sorry, I didn't notice it, my fault. Of course, I had in mind reading with non–changing font. I always keep it the same and thus just didn't even think about this parameter as one more variable. Of course, with a variable # locations per page all my estimations become much more rough. But it might be that still, even with some approximate "mean number of locations per page" –– using number of page turns for a battery life characteristics makes more sense than much more individual "time of reading".
petrovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #482
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Ooops. Sorry, I didn't notice it, my fault. Of course, I had in mind reading with non–changing font. I always keep it the same and thus just didn't even think about this parameter as one more variable. Of course, with a variable # locations per page all my estimations become much more rough. But it might be that still, even with some approximate "mean number of locations per page" –– using number of page turns for a battery life characteristics makes more sense than much more individual "time of reading".
Ok...so I just did a little test. I read for 37 minutes at font size 8, bold 4, light 12. In that time, I read 480 locations, so about 120 page turns. The battery dropped by 3%.

So...a rough estimation of 1% drop every 10 minutes for my reading style (variable font size, constant light at 12 and constant wifi on), so ~ 6% per hour.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #483
petrovich
Connoisseur
petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.petrovich can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Ok...so I just did a little test. I read for 37 minutes at font size 8, bold 4, light 12. In that time, I read 480 locations, so about 120 page turns. The battery dropped by 3%.

So...a rough estimation of 1% drop every 10 minutes for my reading style (variable font size, constant light at 12 and constant wifi on), so ~ 6% per hour.

Shari
Wow! Of course, it's very rough, but 120 pages for 3% means 40 pages for 1% and thus 4000 pages for 100% of the battery charge. My result with light is about 1200 pages. Well, now I'm scared and unhappy... Wow-2: and this is all with wifi on, while my numbers are without wifi... So with wifi my 1200 turns into ~400, which is ten times less than yours. That's already kinda rather odd, but my Oasis is refurbished, and I've already behind these 30 days of Amazon's warranty for refurbished units, so let's live with what we have...
Old 09-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #484
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrovich View Post
Wow! Of course, it's very rough, but 120 pages for 3% means 40 pages for 1% and thus 4000 pages for 100% of the battery charge. My result with light is about 1200 pages. Well, now I'm scared and unhappy... Wow-2: and this is all with wifi on, while my numbers are without wifi... So with wifi my 1200 turns into ~400, which is ten times less than yours. That's already kinda rather odd, but my Oasis is refurbished, and I've already behind these 30 days of Amazon's warranty for refurbished units, so let's live with what we have...
Are you certain that having the wifi on leads to 3 times the battery usage? I'm asking because I tried turning the wifi off when I first got the Oasis 2, and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference with regards to battery life.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #485
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Yeah, I admit it. I am still clueless at all this math and how to figure out how many times I change pages. Am I suppose to write down the location I am at now and just flip through part of the book and count how many times I did that and then substract something from the initial number? Or am I suppose to count the minutes reading and do what? I'll stick with my time left in book. I know I can read a full book in 2-4 hours. Full book is 300-450 pages or so. Book pages that is. I have a sideloaded font, read at #3 with it, otherwise it would be #4 with say bookerly I think. I have my lines as tight as I can and always leave wifi on. I use bold #1. Light is always at 8, no matter time of day.

So if i read a book a day, I can go about aprox. 3 days. And that doesn't mean its empty. I charge it often long before its empty. Anywhere from half full to a third, but not below that. So say I read 3 books at 4 hours each. That would be 12 hours reading time and be about 33-50% at battery. So I could read almost 2 more before running out getting to 20 hours total? Seems about what it is suppose to be. But again, my wifi is on always.

But I also at times go to the store, to goodreads and all that so I assume its using a bit more in those cases.

Math hurts my brain.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #486
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Amazon are still looking at my log files. I’ve been in touch with then a few more times. They originally asked me to leave my WiFi on so they could pull the log files remotely. But as I didn’t hear back after that for a day or so, I contacted them again and they told me how to generate the log files myself, which I emailed to them yesterday. I don’t suppose I’ll hear back from them now til Monday at the earliest.

I now have the battery displaying as a percentage, which I stopped doing six months or so as it was distracting me from reading/I was becoming obsessed.

It is a lovely reader, and I have all my books, magazines and audible books on it, so I would be reluctant to part with it.

I’ve started reading with a smaller font (size 3), using the Charis SIL ModifiedLarger font which is naturally bolder than the other fonts. I’ve also reduced my line width. So I’m hoping to get more life out of my battery this way in the meantime.

Here is how it looks with those settings. I’m pleased with this set up, so here’s hoping this gets the battery lasting a few more hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4AD5615A-E418-4B6C-BDB4-A0EB84A82A99.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	816.4 KB
ID:	166313  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #487
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Are you certain that having the wifi on leads to 3 times the battery usage? I'm asking because I tried turning the wifi off when I first got the Oasis 2, and it didn't seem to make that much of a difference with regards to battery life.

Shari
No, leaving WiFi on definitely doesn't triple the power consumption! It obviously does increase it somewhat - my guess would be by something like 25%. What it does do, however, is drastically increase the power drain if you leave the Kindle asleep for a long period of time (days, that is) because it'll wake up every so often and have a nice chat with Amazon's servers. It doesn't do that in aeroplane mode. With WiFi off, my Kindle's battery charge doesn't change from one day to the next while it's asleep. If I switch on WiFi, it'll typically drain by maybe 5% overnight. I've got the WiFi+4G version of the Oasis which uses more power for its wireless comms (because it's powering the 4G module, too) than the WiFi-only version does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #488
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My non scientific observation:

The new Oasis battery seems to deplete faster than the Voyage battery, but, OTOH, it charges much faster.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #489
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have left my Oasis 2 for over 2 weeks unused and it has lost about 5% of it battery. No it did not have the WIFI on. Now when I do read I read for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours in a day (rainy days). I will charge it once I have stopped reading, I do not even check to see how much battery power I have left.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #490
petrovich
Connoisseur

Quote:

Shari
No, I might be wrong. This was my first impression, it was loosing charge really much faster, but it could be, for example, be caused by running in parallel indexing etc. I didn't run any serious profiling, and maybe I will once
Old 09-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #491
petrovich
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, leaving WiFi on definitely doesn't triple the power consumption! It obviously does increase it somewhat - my guess would be by something like 25%. What it does do, however, is drastically increase the power drain if you leave the Kindle asleep for a long period of time (days, that is) because it'll wake up every so often and have a nice chat with Amazon's servers. It doesn't do that in aeroplane mode. With WiFi off, my Kindle's battery charge doesn't change from one day to the next while it's asleep. If I switch on WiFi, it'll typically drain by maybe 5% overnight. I've got the WiFi+4G version of the Oasis which uses more power for its wireless comms (because it's powering the 4G module, too) than the WiFi-only version does.
Oh, sorry, by talking about WiFi on I meant Airplane mode off, and my KO2 is WIFI + 4G too. Before I did have a pure WIFI one and can confirm the observation about its' slower discharging
I'm not sure regarding 25% increase of power consumption, my impression is different, but I didn't profile this part. However, 5% overnight discharge seem to me rather to match my triple-estimation: my overnight discharge in Airplane mode is about 1-2%. It's rather non-reliable recall, but I believe my KO2 barely could run on a single charge for a day with wireless on versus about two days offline(I had a short vacation then and was spending almost a whole day reading). Still, I do not insist on my impression, need to profile this aspect
Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #492
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, I didn't make myself particularly clear.

If you have WiFi/4G on, my experience is that you won't notice any great increase in power consumption while reading. You will, however, then get a sizeable power drain while the Kindle is asleep that doesn't happen if you leave it in aeroplane mode.

So if you read in long sessions, having WiFi on won't make that much difference to battery life, but if you read for only a few minutes a day, leaving WiFi on could result in a dramatic decrease in battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #493
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just noticed you save a ton of battery life when you invert the black and white. Mine loses about 10% siting idle overnight but switch to invert black and white while the device is idle or off I loose only 3% battery life
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #494
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I doubt that invert black and white has any effect on 7" Oasis battery life.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #495
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara 2E, Libra 2, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I just noticed you save a ton of battery life when you invert the black and white. Mine loses about 10% siting idle overnight but switch to invert black and white while the device is idle or off I loose only 3% battery life
That's really interesting - for some reason I thought invert mode would use more power...

Has anyone compared battery drain with using screen taps to turn page versus buttons? There shouldn't be any difference, I know, just thinking aloud.

I'm now reading at size 2, light off... battery is lasting longer like this (not surprisingly).

With my battery issue investigation, the latest is that amazon have now asked me to charge to 100%, then use my kindle until it reaches 10% then send these new logs.

I'm reviewing my logs from last week, does anyone know if there is anywhere I can find a guide to interpreting them? I've searched on google and here, but can't find what I'm looking for - in the developer's corner, it seems to be assumed you can interpret the logs easily, which I can't do.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2