Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #466
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Oh man.... you just HAVE to compile this into an ebook once it's done! I'll take mine in PRC format thank you very much!

But what the heck happened to the pirate ninja squirrels?
All I got is mobipocket creator, so someone else will have to translate. I could send the finished Word doc to anyone who is willing...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #467
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
prc = mobipocket, actually.

but i'm sure that we'll be able to find people willing to make other formats...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #468
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
All I got is mobipocket creator, so someone else will have to translate. I could send the finished Word doc to anyone who is willing...
I'll make a book in all three formats: lrf, prc and imp.

But will someone turn that music off, please.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #469
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Miyatake got a distant look on his face. He pointed the gun at his pants, not losing eye contact with Harv.

"You can come out right now, you little bastiches. I've had enough kids in this life and don't care about collateral damage!"

Four meek looking squirrels scurried out form his pockets and ran off into the jungle. One stopped and threw a salute at Vera before disappearing.

"Now that was just wrong," said Vivaldi.

"Okay,"said Harv, "Just let my dog go, and you can take the boat and leave. We're not in a place we can stop you."

"If I keep the dog, then I am ina better position to accomplish my goals, don't you think?"

"Look, he's just a dog! If I'm going to try something, he wouldn't figure too greatly in my plans."

"I'm standing right here, you know!"

"My children will appreciate having Vivaldi-san back in their playroom."

"I mean, does anyone ever bother to ask me if it would be okay for me to be used as a hostage? No!"

"Don't worry, Viv. Miyatake is a gambling addict. I'll win you back next week."

"Like I'm a piece of property or something! What kind of a life is this? I wouldn't make my cat suffer like this."**

"I am afraid that I will probably be losing Vivaldi-san to the Crown Prince next week, Mr. Harv. After I have finished my business here, I will be recalled and given a hero's welcome at home.

"Besides, my GA group meets on Mondays, so I should be okay."

Miyatake nudged Fujimora, who was whimpering "The fangs! The awful fangs!" to get in the sailboat. He dragged Vivaldi over the gunwale and pulled the mooring line free. The sailboat slipped into Lake Gatun. Fujimora started the outboard with undue haste and they buzzed into the twilight.

"Hasn't anyone ever heard of lifting a dog into a boat? No? Just haul him over by the collar! I'm writing the SPCA!"

**He would have said "dog," but did not, for obvious reasons.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #470
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh noes !!!! they got vr !!! how is he going to get away ??? (or is this part of the cunning plan ?)
Advert
Old 11-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #471
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
"Hasn't anyone ever heard of lifting a dog into a boat? No? Just haul him over by the collar! I'm writing the SPCA!"

Uh oh! No thumbs makes writing angry letters difficult!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #472
pshrynk

"Oh, Harv! That's just awful! Can't we do something?"

"Well, Viv's a pretty strong swimmer. I think he'll be okay."

"He can't swim from Japan!"

"No, even though you can see Russia from Japan and Alaska from Russia. But he can swim from the middle of the Canal."

"What?"

"Well, I was fixing the sailboat this morning. When I got tired of that, I went to have a drink. That's when I found out that you were missing."

Faint screaming in Japanese drifted over the water.

"Harv, never, ever let me complain that you can't fix a leaky boat!" She leaned in and kissed him.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM   #473
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Uh oh! No thumbs makes writing angry letters difficult!
Vivaldi can talk. I'm sure he'll just dictate to a secretary. After he swims ashore.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #474
zelda_pinwheel

a happy ending ! aw, *snif*, that's lovely !!

my sincere and extreme felicitations to you for this masterpiece ! this story is destined to become a timeless classic if ever any story was. i laughed, i cried, and it's got a good beat and you can dance to it.

:standingovation: champagne for everybody !!
Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM   #475
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Satisfying indeed. I love a happy ending!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #476
pshrynk

EPILOGUE

The two lovers sat and watched the twilight blend to darkness. There were no cares in the world.

"Harv?"

"Yes, Vera?"

"I'm really sorry."

"About what?"

"Well, in all the excitement of the fight, I sort of pulled the safety switches off the Nippo-Montsnmags Mark IV depth charges in the sailboat. I thought that if there weren't any switches, they would have to not try to destroy the locks."

A faint "crump" sounded out in the Canal, folllowed by largish waves lapping the shore.

"Ah, well," said Harv, "Biggles has a runabout that I can win off him next week at the poker game. He's as bad as Miyatake."

"Does it leak?"

"Sometimes."

"Well that's all right, then." She snuggled back into his arms.

"Mutter, mutter, mutter! Couldn't even give a dog a bit of warning! One minute I'm looking at having to try to swim to Russian and then to Alaska, not to mention finding a way back to Panama, the next I'm swimming for my life! I'd like to see a Jack Russel Terrier do this scene!"

A wet, bedraggled, irritated, gray dog scrambled ashore and shook vigorously. Sitting there, enjoying a few beers and, in at least one case, a smoke were Hugo, Lefty, and the squid.

"You guys got a brew for a poor dog?"

Hugo lifted him out a cold one and offered him a cigarette.

"No thanks! I'm trying to quit."

The squid looked at his companions, as if to say, "Louis, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship!"

"Who's Louis?"
Old 11-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #477
zelda_pinwheel

oh !!!! CLASSIC !!! brilliant ending !!!! really, hats off to you. we should create a new literary prize, so we could give it to you. how does "pshrynk, recipient of the Llama* for outstanding fiction work" sound ?

*or something
Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 PM   #478
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Farking early in the morning!

This story starts once upon a time. Actually, some of the events happen more often, but some, like the bit with the pony, only happened this once because he got used to it after the first time, and actually kind of disillusioned with the whole predictability of the thing. That's why I always say "You can't please every pony, especially those snooty mountain bastards". Ironically, one of the events in it does happen all the time, which is kind of the point, but, hey, who doesn't like a story that starts, “Once upon a time...”? Only dog-haters and people who like those chips made out of reconstituted potato, that's who. And so...

Once upon a time (not really once, except for some parts), at just before 5am, in a shy, cool, little corrie beneath Craig Cerrig Gleisiad that didn't get the attention of some of the bigger Brecon Beacon numbers just because an official from the local office of the Countryside Council once lost a son to its more vicious meterological elements which was the kid's own fault really because it was a bad winter and he didn't tell anyone where he was going but what are you going to do against the man who holds the purse-strings of publicity, and anyway it's all probably for the best when you consider the corrie's little idiosyncrasy which is what we're about to hear about, because...

Once upon a time (not really once - see above), at just before 5am, in a shy, cool little corrie beneath Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, a pony (wild Welsh Mountain variety, obviously) could be heard, if there was anything to hear it (Hush now), stamping his front-left hoof against the steel-hard moraine-stones and shaking his head and mane in a manner that suggested impending violence at the intruder (Hush, people! He doesn't know we're here, but if he does I wouldn't put it past the narky bastard to track us down). The place at which he stared, tucked into the lower slopes beneath the crags, was - in a manner that would be perfectly naturally if only the laws of nature we're used to were entirely different and perhaps had a bit more of the colour zorange about them - kind of turning inside out. This, I think you'll agree, could likely be quite disconcerting, and probably moreso when you're only up there to eat some of it. Stamp! Stamp! (that's the pony). At 5am precisely, which occurred just as a third stamp was on its way to exclamation, there was a mild sizzling noise that ascended into a pitchy squeal, and then the air completed its self-evisceration with a grim "glrrrOPP!" and, before the pony could add another punctuation mark (hoof still raised, now thinking "Bloody hell! What's that?!), there appeared, stamping its own mark, a tiny village. Well, when I say "village", it was more of a collection of stone buildings that looked like it was aspiring for village status if someone could just rustle up a town clock and maybe more than one intersection. Regardless, at 5am, in a shy, cool little corrie beneath Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, there appeared the village of (as indicated by the ice-worn sign, with faded, cracked lettering struggling to name and populate it)...

"Farking".

The black to the west gained the barest dark blue hint of the impending quantacular display of atoms being torn apart a mere 146 million or so kilometres away. Windows in some of the buildings became outlined with the glow from bedside lamps (one presumes) being switched on. The roaring silence of the corrie - uneasy of anything more than gravity settling the occasional rock into a more comfortable position for a few more decades - was wisped away with the melodic, mono-sussuration of clock-radios being alarmed by the testicular tones of "Never gonna give you up...".

Farking awoke. The pony ("Oh, right, is that all?") went back to eating the landscape, now no longer so Farking surprised.

Last edited by montsnmags; 12-03-2008 at 12:24 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #479
zelda_pinwheel

at last ! the story of Farking !! (in our next episode, we'll talk about Lower Farking, twinned with Farking, also known as "Farking L").
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #480
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Lovely. It sounds just like the Brecon Beacons.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera