Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #451
del1357
del1357 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ 7 (prospective)
Hi guys, these are complete noob questions but there are two things that I hope you might be able to help me with.

How easy is it to transfer and view .cbr/.cbz files on this? I've read ColdSun's very helpful thread on this - once those steps have been taken to install the app, is it simply a matter of transferring the comics to the right folder on the Q7? Would it not be simpler to convert comics into pdf files, then view the pdfs?

Secondly, is the Q7 compatible with Macs?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by del1357; 06-26-2009 at 11:10 AM.
del1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #452
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Hi Del,

All you need to do is move the comic files (CBR/CBZ) over to the SD card and then just use the Comix application to browse to the folder and open them. I would not suggest converting them to PDF, as the Comix application has much better support for viewing comics. I'll try to post more comic screenshots this weekend.

As far as it working with a Mac, I'm not quite sure. Does your Mac have a SD card reader? Can it read FAT32 formatted disks? If the answer to both of these is yes, then it should be just fine.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #453
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Anyone else having problems with their touchscreen?

Half the time I can't get it to register, and the other half it seems to be inaccurate.

It's related to flexing in the case, I think. Or maybe I just have a buggy one. The desktop constantly pops up a context menu, for a while, whatever was in the upper right corner would register taps. The keyboard doesn't work right, etc. Very frustrating. I'm guessing I won't get a decent exchange, either. But I'll try.

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #454
Project
Enthusiast
Project began at the beginning.

Device: none
I finally got my Smart Q7 today! (I ordered it May 30, so it's been a long wait) and I've got a few (silly) questions:

What is the fastest way to suspend the unit?
I can't find the option suspend if I press the power key and I don't want to go to the start menu etc..

I'm charging it right now, but how do I know when the unit is fully charged?
(sorry for the stupid question, but I can't find any mention of this in the manual I downloaded a while ago)

What's supposed to be inside the unit?
I found the power adapter, bluetooth dongle, usb cable, but no user guide or headphone that appear to be included reading the downloaded manual.

Is it a good idea to upgrade to the 3.0 firmware, given the basic use I intend to do of the unit? (reading e-books, mostly pdf, and browing the internet)

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Project

Rome, Italy
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:54 AM   #455
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post

Half the time I can't get it to register, and the other half it seems to be inaccurate.

It's related to flexing in the case, I think. Or maybe I just have a buggy one. The desktop constantly pops up a context menu, for a while, whatever was in the upper right corner would register taps. The keyboard doesn't work right, etc. Very frustrating. I'm guessing I won't get a decent exchange, either. But I'll try.

m a r
Sorry if I misunderstand your question. If you hold down your stylus/finger on the desktop for a second or two it acts like a (R) mouse button, hence the context menu. Hope this is what's happening and not a faulty unit.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #456
Nation.A.List
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project View Post
What is the fastest way to suspend the unit?
I can't find the option suspend if I press the power key and I don't want to go to the start menu etc..
On mine if I push the power button (top edge nearest the centre) it brings up the "System Manager Setup" page and 'Suspend' is the 2nd option down

Quote:
charging it right now, but how do I know when the unit is fully charged? (sorry for the stupid question, but I can't find any mention of this in the manual I downloaded a while ago)
Charged mine (putting it into standby) last night, when I woke it up the battery indicator had a window open saying "fully charged"

Quote:
What's supposed to be inside the unit?
I found the power adapter, bluetooth dongle, usb cable, but no user guide or headphone that appear to be included reading the downloaded manual.
Mine came without user guide (the only 'official' one at the moment is in Chinese) your supplier may have removed it, and without headphones (no idea where they are?) but I have loads anyway.
Quote:
Is it a good idea to upgrade to the 3.0 firmware, given the basic use I intend to do of the unit? (reading e-books, mostly pdf, and browing the internet)
You may already have ver 3.0! It seems if your version of Midori (help option in menu) is 0.1.7 it's likely you already have ver 3.0 loaded.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #457
Project
Enthusiast

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply

Quote:
On mine if I push the power button (top edge nearest the centre) it brings up the "System Manager Setup" page and 'Suspend' is the 2nd option down
I don't have this option; the only option are: Lock screen and Keyboard, enable USB OTG, calibrate touch screeen, Task manager, power off and quit. maybe you have a different firmware; is there a way to check the installed firmware version?

Quote:
Mine came without user guide (the only 'official' one at the moment is in Chinese) your supplier may have removed it, and without headphones (no idea where they are?) but I have loads anyway.
Ok, so it seems I've got everything that was supposed to be included, good!

Quote:
You may already have ver 3.0! It seems if your version of Midori (help option in menu) is 0.1.7 it's likely you already have ver 3.0 loaded.
My Midori vers is 0.16; also, the unit shipped june 10, it just took a lot of time to arrive here, so I doubt it has new firmware

Thanks again

regards

Project

Rome, Italy
Old 06-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #458
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post

m a r
I'm pretty sure that's 2 separate problems, actually.

The screen does need to be recalibrated fairly often. Press the power button (like you would to suspend the Q7). Screen calibration is one option of that menu.

I'm not sure what the problem is with the desktop, but I've noticed that the problem doesn't occur inside an application.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #459
AlanMc
Enthusiast
AlanMc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7
Quote:
First of all, thanks a lot for your reply

I don't have this option; the only option are: Lock screen and Keyboard, enable USB OTG, calibrate touch screeen, Task manager, power off and quit. maybe you have a different firmware; is there a way to check the installed firmware version?

Ok, so it seems I've got everything that was supposed to be included, good!

My Midori vers is 0.16; also, the unit shipped june 10, it just took a lot of time to arrive here, so I doubt it has new firmware

Thanks again

regards

Project

Rome, Italy
I don't agree you to upgrade the firmware to 3.0. It is a lot of bug, buletooth and WIFI and so on. And don't refresh the Mer image, it is not a complete version. I hear about a lot of user have trouble when refresh it again and again. A last they have to return it to factory for repair.
AlanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:21 AM   #460
Nation.A.List
Addict

AlanMc: I believe I have ver 3.0 (no absolute way of telling) What bugs are you referring to as I don't appear to have found them yet?
Old 06-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #461
Project
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply AlanMC, I'll not upgrade for now; the strange thing in my unit is that if I press the power botton I don't get the option to suspend, only to power off. Is there a way to enable this in system preferences?

regards

Project
Old 06-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #462
AlanMc
Enthusiast

Click the Start icon and select the logout, that you can see the suspend option.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #463
Project
Enthusiast

Thanks AlanMC, I know that I can suspend from the Start icon, but it just seems much quicker to me the possibility of doing it with the power key. Any hint on this? How is it possible that some people are able to suspend from the power key and others not? Is there some system preference?

regards

Project
Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #464
AlanMc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks AlanMC, I know that I can suspend from the Start icon, but it just seems much quicker to me the possibility of doing it with the power key. Any hint on this? How is it possible that some people are able to suspend from the power key and others not? Is there some system preference?

regards

Project
Copy these two files to the folder /home/user/desktop/, that you will have the shortcuts of shutdown and suspend.
Attached Files
File Type: rar desktop-icon.rar (512 Bytes, 163 views)
Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #465
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
SmartQ 7 Shipment Delay Until July 10th

I ordered a 2nd SmartQ 7 from Eletroworld last week and thought it would ship around July 1/2.

Today, Eletroworld indicated that there will be a delay in my order and those of anyone with a similar time frame because of demand and the need for a firmware correction.

Eletroworld's email indicated that my Q7 will ship around July 10 with Firmware 3.1 from the OEM (SmartDevices).

Part of their email makes the following statements:

"[The]...manufacturer is upgrading the firmware to solve [a] wifi connect problem.... Factory also found some users miss wifi when they flash firmware many times. WinCE for Q5 will upload this week, Q7 next week, [but] only chinese version. Need [to] store [WinCE] in SD card to run [on the] SmartQ. It is free first, need pay later."

I hope folks will be patient and wait for firmware 3.1 because I'm one of those who flashed the firmware many times to experiment with Mer, etc.

I'm also glad to find out more about the WinCE firmware timeframe. I'm looking forward to experimenting with that as well.

Overall, the strong demand for the SmartQ 7 is a very positive thing and I'm glad that SmartDevices is taking the time to fix the Version 3 firmware issue some of us ran into.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote