Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Old OLEDs don't, but the new crop Super AMOLED (the ones in new Samsung Galaxy) are much better in sunlight then old AMOLED or LCD (including IPS).
Would those be the ones in short supply, currently hampering phone rollouts?
Maybe that's the cause of the shortage?

I have an MP3 player with an OLED screen. It is outdoor viewable: on cloudy overcast days. Bright light? No go.
Readable in Cleveland, Seattle, or London.
Less useful in Dallas, Miami, or points south.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #32
Genaro Zamora
thriller tale
Genaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheeseGenaro Zamora can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle app
I think this is just a rumor, but if it's not. It should be interesting to check out.
Genaro Zamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #33
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Old OLEDs don't, but the new crop Super AMOLED (the ones in new Samsung Galaxy) are much better in sunlight then old AMOLED or LCD (including IPS).
No they're not. They're better than standard AMOLED displays, but are about equal to LCD, or perhaps slightly inferior in bright light. A lot of the hype came from a bit of a misleading video of someone holding a Samsung in what some people construed to be bright sunlight.

Here's a slightly better video in actual sunlight:

And again, you CAN make the screen more visible in sunlight if you ramp up the light output, but you are draining batteries quite badly by doing so. That's how these displays work.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #34
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
This obsession with sunlight readable displays is just a matter of personal preference. I have never understood why anyone would want to read even a paper book in the sun. I'd have to wear sunglasses just to look at the page. Very unpleasant.
People end up in different situations where they need to use their reader in the open elements. I have a friend that uses hers on the beach since she lives in Miami while working on her tan. They also work great for amusement parks. I took my nephews to Disney World and Six Flags amusement parks and the lines where so long that you spend part of it in the open (they only have limited covered space for waiting in line). Of course I had my Sony reader to help me with the waiting and it would have been a real bummer if I could not use it in the sun.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #35
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
People end up in different situations where they need to use their reader in the open elements. I have a friend that uses hers on the beach since she lives in Miami while working on her tan. They also work great for amusement parks. I took my nephews to Disney World and Six Flags amusement parks and the lines where so long that you spend part of it in the open (they only have limited covered space for waiting in line). Of course I had my Sony reader to help me with the waiting and it would have been a real bummer if I could not use it in the sun.
Personal preferences vary, of course. I don't like reading in direct sunlight, but if I were standing in a nightmarish Disney line, I'd rather have a paperback. No worries about dropping in case someone bumps you; no worries if you get tossed around on a ride. I wouldn't bring a Kindle to a beach, either. I'd wanna be able to walk around without my e-device being stolen if I put it down. I like e-reading fine, but people (not you specifically) get obsessed with gadgets sometimes.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #36
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Didn't we start discussing the potential for 5" and 7" iPad variations cum e-readers? Really? I can't believe Apple would bother. The next edition of iPad will be somewhere in the same screen size but thinner and faster etc. But smaller and cheaper? Somehow that doesn't sound like an Apple product road map.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #37
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But smaller and cheaper? Somehow that doesn't sound like an Apple product road map.
Depends what they have in mind for the iPod Touch line.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 PM   #38
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Didn't Apple make cheaper and simpler versions of iPods? I own a video one from generations ago, but have seen newer, smaller, cheaper ones without video, for instance.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #39
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Didn't Apple make cheaper and simpler versions of iPods? I own a video one from generations ago, but have seen newer, smaller, cheaper ones without video, for instance.
Yes, the Shuffle, the Nano, the Classic, and the Touch, from $60 to $400.
Be interesting to see how Apple re-orients all of these in November. I'm guessing the Classic disappears, the Touch gets a front facing camera and FaceTime, and the Shuffle and Nano uphold the whole music thing
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #40
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
What will be the price for 5.6- and 7-inch iPads? I guess somewhere between $149 and $199 to compete with Nook and Kindle.
Given Apple have the iPod touch, I'd say the price would be about $399 for a 8GB 7" model, perhaps $350 for the 5.6".

However I don't really see Apple actually coming out with a device like these. Apple have never been one to have a huge product line up. If they did release they have the iPod Nano, The iPod (the mini one), iPod Classic, iPod Touch (both the 8G hardware and 32GB hardware), iPad, iPhone and now the 5.6" or 7" units.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:19 PM   #41
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
I don't think Apple will go that low with a "new" product.
I don't think so either. Steve Jobs could put the Apple Logo on a rock, sell it for $800 and the sheep will camp out for days to get in line to have it.

Steve jobs has this country in the palm of his hand.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #42
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I don't think so either. Steve Jobs could put the Apple Logo on a rock, sell it for $800 and the sheep will camp out for days to get in line to have it.

Nice to see its not just Apple fans caught in a Reality Distortion Field
Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 AM   #43
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I think that's stereotyping it a bit. True, the hype about the eyePhone and everything Apple is a bit silly and people have been jumping on the said bandwagon like there's no tomorrow.

But it also has to be said that Apple did have their eyes on the ball (the ball being defined by Steve'o of course) when it comes to the design, marketing and quality of their products.

But they seem to have fallen on their own knife with eyePhone 4 (don't play with sharp object, I keep telling my kids!).
I think they are in for a reality check now. The playing field is being levelled somewhat with Android adoption, erosion of quality of their products and bad press (the app store boo-ha, impeding lawsuits, etc.). Apple will need to drop prices and/or find another way to keep ahead of the pack. Will this require an iPad minor? Who knows, maybe.

PS: eyePhone is from the Futurama "Attack of the Killer App" episode of course! It's a must see!
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #44
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I just switched from my iPhone 3Gs to a Samusng Galaxy S (Android). The Galaxy S has a 4" Super AMOLED screen, which is easier to read under sunlight than the LCD screen of the iPhone.

Under normal conditions, the AMOLED screen is so good, that going back to a regular LCD would be very hard.

The Super AMOLED screen seems easier on the eyes than the LCD of the iPhone, and I can stare at it considerably longer than I can stare at the iPhone, without my eye being blurry when I look away.

But I still wouldn't use it as my main reading device. I am kind of getting back into the e-ink camp, and thinking of jumping on the next PDF-sized device with the new and contrastier screens.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #45
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
No they're not. They're better than standard AMOLED displays, but are about equal to LCD, or perhaps slightly inferior in bright light. A lot of the hype came from a bit of a misleading video of someone holding a Samsung in what some people construed to be bright sunlight.

Here's a slightly better video in actual sunlight:

And again, you CAN make the screen more visible in sunlight if you ramp up the light output, but you are draining batteries quite badly by doing so. That's how these displays work.
Well even on your video I see more on Samsung screen, then on Sony Xperia. The higher contrast make it easier to see stuff.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote