Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #31
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
kennyc,
I finally found the video for installing the firmware to get me through the install this morning, as the FAQs online were incorrect, The manual has a few problems too and is a bit difficult for me to use. I have had to reinstall the newest Astak firmware for the third time this afternoon in order to read the ADE DRM library ebook, so am not sure if I am keeping the Astak. One more firmware reinstall and it goes back.
The TTS sound quality is really bad. Lots of hiss. As I said before, the Kindle TTS is better than the TTS of the Astak. Not that I use it very often, but it should be better than it is. My major complaint is the smallness of the fonts on menus, and on the main screen for the ADE DRM library ebooks. Can't make it comfortable for easy reading.

I do have a fair amount of computer/electronics savvy learned from dealing with balky MP3 players and a computer that is always hiccuping. Most beginning users are not going to be able to use the Astak. The people I have contacted that loved their Sonys are those who have a good amount of computer know-how.
Your comment about the UI being 1,000 percent better refers to the Sony readers? Wasn't sure what you meant.
luvshihtzu
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #32
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
Your comment about the UI being 1,000 percent better refers to the Sony readers? Wasn't sure what you meant.
luvshihtzu
Yeah the firmware upgrade instructions are way less than clear. For me at least the Sony UI is very much like the Kindle UI - very straight-forward and intuitive, much less so for the Astak IMO.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #33
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Kennyc,
Thanks for the advice about the Sony readers. I got my used Sony 505 from eBay today and both my husband and I are happy with the intuitiveness of the product. No longer do we have to plug in USB just to delete a book and page turns seem to be easier. I like the way the SD card works too. None of this going back and forth with the internal and card memory. Very nice reader to go along with my Kindle for the other formats and easy to run.
luvshihtzu
Old 10-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #34
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
Kennyc,
Thanks for the advice about the Sony readers. I got my used Sony 505 from eBay today and both my husband and I are happy with the intuitiveness of the product. No longer do we have to plug in USB just to delete a book and page turns seem to be easier. I like the way the SD card works too. None of this going back and forth with the internal and card memory. Very nice reader to go along with my Kindle for the other formats and easy to run.
luvshihtzu
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #35
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Sony UI is very straightforward as well. The PRS-300 is priced right and very intuitive to use.
problem is 300 does not come with a case, wall charger, weighs more, is processor wise slower (although pp needs more firmware upgrades to take advantage), and u dont get personal customer service.

pros and cons.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 08:49 AM   #36
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncdoc View Post
problem is 300 does not come with a case, wall charger, weighs more, is processor wise slower (although pp needs more firmware upgrades to take advantage), and u dont get personal customer service.

pros and cons.
You don't particularly need a wall charger, the Astak case is bulky and the stupid little wrap-around flap is troublesome as compared to the magnetic closing on the 505 - not sure about the 300 cover, speed is the same as far as the user is concerned. The UI is intuitive as I said above, not like the Astak/Hanlin which has definite issues.

I've never had to use Sony customer service. That in itself says something I think.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-25-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
Oh great. More stories about how we are killing off our 'cuddly' wildlife - both imported and native.
But Roo is so tasty, and they aren't really cuddly. Coarse fur and hard muscles...
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #38
luvshihtzu
Groupie

Oh, forgot the best part of the Sony 505 for us is the LARGE size fonts on the Menu. No more squinting for our old eyes. The Astak is better for younger readers with good vision.

luvshihtzu

Last edited by luvshihtzu; 10-25-2009 at 07:39 PM.