Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #31
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
What would be *really* awesome is the ability to set a custom zoom. Much like Jump to --> input page number, instead Zoom to --> Input zoom percent.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #32
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
What would be *really* awesome is the ability to set a custom zoom. Much like Jump to --> input page number, instead Zoom to --> Input zoom percent.
Just my opinion, but I don't think the jetBook or any such small screen reader is suitable for reading PDF, unless you have no other choice. Although the zoom scaling by a factor of two needs to be changed to a more reasonable set of values, I don't think Ectaco should be putting too much effort into PDF related features. IMO there are other features and enhancements that I would like to see first, which would be more useful to the largest group of users.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Just my opinion, but I don't think the jetBook or any such small screen reader is suitable for reading PDF, unless you have no other choice. Although the zoom scaling by a factor of two needs to be changed to a more reasonable set of values, I don't think Ectaco should be putting too much effort into PDF related features. IMO there are other features and enhancements that I would like to see first, which would be more useful to the largest group of users.
I would agree with that assessment, regardless of the model, company or features available in that screen size.

I'll be returning to Peru later tonight and will work on a review/opinion on my new Jetbook.

I can tell you right now that I'm impressed by its performance, although there are some features and design implementations I would like to see, one of which is a totally new direction I would like to see them take.

Overall: Very favorable, indeed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM   #34
stepwiz
stepwiz began at the beginning.

Device: ectaco jetBook
jetBook firmware upgrade

Just purchased my jetBook from NewEgg... very nice device.
Trying to upgrade the firmware, but the power + >, I assume is the "Right key" does not start the firmware upgrade. I can view the files, so I know the card and slot are not an issue.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
stepwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #35
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Depends on the PDF. For a full 8.5" x 11" PDF, probably not... but I have a fair number of PDF books that have a more reasonable size of 5.5" x 8". When the white margins are cropped out, it works great with a text size comparable to size "3" on the jetBook. Larger text if landscaped.

Also, PDF's generated from FeedBooks or ManyBooks are particularly nice.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 AM   #36
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
PDFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Depends on the PDF. For a full 8.5" x 11" PDF, probably not... but I have a fair number of PDF books that have a more reasonable size of 5.5" x 8". When the white margins are cropped out, it works great with a text size comparable to size "3" on the jetBook. Larger text if landscaped.

Also, PDF's generated from FeedBooks or ManyBooks are particularly nice.
I have read some novels that display OK in landscape mode when the margins are removed. I just have to remember which is the scroll button and the next-page button - but it reads well.

I've formatted books from ManyBooks according to the jetBook screen specs and they come out great!

So, although PDFs are not ideal -they can display well in some cases, actually easier to read than on my 9" tablet which shrinks the page to fit 1 screen.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #37
alxab
alxab began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
What I really like about this gadget is the form factor, folder system and screen readability. Would be my favorite toy if not for one serious problem (for me, at least). I read mostly Russian texts in fb2 format. There are lots of them on the Net. Most are encoded in the older Win 1251 charset while about 1/3 of them use the current industry standard: Unicode (UTF-8). The trouble is JetBook does not support Unicode! You load a bunch of book in the reader only to see a screenful of garbage for many of them.

Does anyone know if the new firmware version adds Unicode support?
alxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A quick question:

Curly quotes (typographers' quotes) do not turn out correctly and produce garbage on the screen. Is there a fix for this so that I can retain these quotes?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:20 PM   #39
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
So, although PDFs are not ideal
Unless you need something professional--in which case only PDF is up to the task.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #40
sein
Connoisseur
sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sein could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle, inkBook, Kobo
The new firmware update is still not available for download. Quite frustrating, what with all the new features and improvements mentioned here. I wonder when will it be ready. One feature that I think would be also very useful is a clock on the title bar.

Well, we continue then with the wait.
sein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #41
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxab View Post
What I really like about this gadget is the form factor, folder system and screen readability. Would be my favorite toy if not for one serious problem (for me, at least). I read mostly Russian texts in fb2 format. There are lots of them on the Net. Most are encoded in the older Win 1251 charset while about 1/3 of them use the current industry standard: Unicode (UTF-8). The trouble is JetBook does not support Unicode! You load a bunch of book in the reader only to see a screenful of garbage for many of them.

Does anyone know if the new firmware version adds Unicode support?
In the beta firmware, while a book is open - under Settings/Encoding is a UTF-8 option. So, the answer seems to be yes
Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 PM   #42
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A quick question:

Curly quotes (typographers' quotes) do not turn out correctly and produce garbage on the screen. Is there a fix for this so that I can retain these quotes?

Don
I mentioned in my review of the first beta firmware that I obtained that curly quotes, em-dashes and such display fine.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #43
jgray
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sein View Post
The new firmware update is still not available for download. Quite frustrating, what with all the new features and improvements mentioned here. I wonder when will it be ready. One feature that I think would be also very useful is a clock on the title bar.

Well, we continue then with the wait.
I wish I had something to tell you. Ectaco isn't telling me anything about a release date either. Even though they are letting me test this beta firmware, they are being very close mouthed about everything.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #44
akira28
Nameless Being

The one thing Ectaco (or whoever is in charge of the software) needs to address quickly is the selection in the menu. A 1 or 2 pixel box around the selection is just ridiculous. It is just too hard to see where the cursor is. It should be displayed either as a negative or with a big arrow on the side as done with the Sony. This issue is my biggest peeve, one that should be easy to fix, just to give you an idea how satisfied I am so far with the Jetbook.

As for PDF display I am still experimenting with Feedbook's custom PDF. I tried setting it to match the Jetbook display (3x4). It works OK but something isn't right because it doesn't maintain the margins I set, even when set to full screen. Viewing the 3x4 at 100% shows that the actual size is only 1/9 the screen size.

Update: PDF display seems a little inconsistent. As mentioned above setting the PDF to match the physical display of the Jetbook has 2 different results depending on the setting. Using the full screen mode it covers pretty much the entire screen. But at zoom 100% the PDF tiny, about 1/9 of the screen size.

Now if you zoom in about 400% you can get a PDF with margins that looks like a book page. Actually I go back and forth about what I want - a reader to display as much text as possible or a display that emulates a book. Since I use my finger as a guide when I read I tend to like some margins especially at the bottom.

For use with 400% zoom the custom PDF setting I have settled on so far in Feedbook is as follows:
  • Doc size = 80x107mm
  • Font size = 10pt
  • Font = New Century Schoolbook
  • Margins = 5mm(top)x7(bottom)x4(sides)

BTW the above is using fw 30i.

Last edited by akira28; 08-01-2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #45
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepwiz View Post
Just purchased my jetBook from NewEgg... very nice device.
Trying to upgrade the firmware, but the power + >, I assume is the "Right key" does not start the firmware upgrade. I can view the files, so I know the card and slot are not an issue.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
You should reboot first.