Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 12:59 AM   #31
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm somewhat disappointed too They look great but between the attachment method and the size I just cannot justify their cost. Even if it used the original hinge pin attachment and was comparable in size to the original it was going to be a tough sell in my book (no pun). So, since I have been holding out for a leather cover I've gone ahead and ordered a Mocha M-Edge Executive tonight. No comparison to the Oberon, other than being made of leather, but it will have to do.
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #32
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by makincheez View Post
I'm somewhat disappointed too They look great but between the attachment method and the size I just cannot justify their cost. Even if it used the original hinge pin attachment and was comparable in size to the original it was going to be a tough sell in my book (no pun). So, since I have been holding out for a leather cover I've gone ahead and ordered a Mocha M-Edge Executive tonight. No comparison to the Oberon, other than being made of leather, but it will have to do.
I'm going to wait & see what actually ends up on the website (the actual ones may not end up being exactly like the prototypes. That's why they do betas). But if it's as big as this, and requires Velcro... I think I may go with the M-Edge, too. The Oberon covers are gorgeous, but a cover that won't fit in my purse is pretty useless to me.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #33
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by makincheez View Post
Makincheez, I found out M edge are releasing a new range of 505 covers and should be avilable on their web site from 8th May. Hopefully they will be similar in colour/style to the kindle 2 covers ( this just hope as I have no idea what they will be like). I too had just placed an order and they are super helpful and are trying to stop the order shipping ( thats if you got it direct from them). So from the 8th of may a whole new set of covers will be avilable.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #34
ax42
ax42 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's mainly one person who kept on breaking the clip of the cover. Most people have no issues with the clip system. And f they want to switch covers say to the lightwedge cover, the reader won't have lumps of velcro on the back.
Must be at least two, because I also had the hinge on the Sony leather cover break (within 3 hours of purchase - bah). The original cover seems to have the hinge better attached to the flap, but the design of the leather one is flawed.

I now have the Reader velcro'ed to the leather cover, FWIW. Works for me, ymmv.
ax42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #35
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax42 View Post
Must be at least two, because I also had the hinge on the Sony leather cover break (within 3 hours of purchase - bah). The original cover seems to have the hinge better attached to the flap, but the design of the leather one is flawed.

I now have the Reader velcro'ed to the leather cover, FWIW. Works for me, ymmv.
I'm thinking at least three. I had my original cover for a year and a half, no problem, though I read with interest that others were having issues with the hinge breaking. Then, out of nowhere, I picked up my eReader, and it fell out of the cover because the hinge was broken (fortunately, it didn't fall far!) I ended up ordering a tri-fold cover on ebay to replace it, and a little over a month later, the clip on THAT broke. So I'm now in the market for a hinge-less cover.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 04-24-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I'm thinking at least three. I had my original cover for a year and a half, no problem, though I read with interest that others were having issues with the hinge breaking. Then, out of nowhere, I picked up my eReader, and it fell out of the cover because the hinge was broken (fortunately, it didn't fall far!) I ended up ordering a tri-fold cover on ebay to replace it, and a little over a month later, the clip on THAT broke. So I'm now in the market for a hinge-less cover.

Sayhello
M-Edge would be your best choice. You can get a cover now that uses 4-corner straps to hold the Reader in place.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Makincheez, I found out M edge are releasing a new range of 505 covers and should be available on their web site from 8th May. Hopefully they will be similar in colour/style to the kindle 2 covers ( this just hope as I have no idea what they will be like). I too had just placed an order and they are super helpful and are trying to stop the order shipping ( thats if you got it direct from them). So from the 8th of may a whole new set of covers will be available.

Natalie
Are they going to be compatible with the booklight?

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-24-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 PM   #38
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I am also a beta tester, but I didn't say anything because I didn't know if it was kosher - I've never beta tested anything before.

One thing is to remember these are not necessarily the covers that will be on sale -hence the whole beta part of it. I commented on my feedback on the added size that it brought to the reader and how I probably would not pay for one at that price because of the added size and weight. However, they did ask about if the added size and weight was an issue with the cover, so they are aware of it and may be making decisions off of that.

I'll admit it is a lot bigger, I can't fit it in the cargo pocket of my shorts like I can with my other ones. I will also say that while I hated it when I first put my reader in it (it's gorgeous but the size and weight thing), it grew on me within a day of use. I'll probably use my tuff luv cover more, but then again I tend to read while eating, which is why I got the tuff luv one in the first place.

This cover, as it is right now, feels more like a book. It stays open when you read it, so you can have it lying flat against a table without touching it, or as I found waiting in line, hold it with one hand on the back spine, like you would a normal (not new) book, and it stays open, if that makes sense. I have found it the most comfortable to read while standing of the three; with the main cover I have to use the thumb-pinky method to keep the cover opened, and with the tuff luv cover I have to actively grab the reader/cover. With the oberon cover I can just rest it in my open hand.

It has it's flaws currently, which may or may not be fixed as they get the feedback from us beta testers. Would I buy one? No, but it took winning a $25 gift certificate before I finally caved in to buy the $40 tuff luv cover, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. I'm less than a year from starving college student mode, and buying the reader was a BIG purchase for me. I like the oberon cover though and would love it if I recieved it as a gift, even if I don't always use it. The fact that it has the sleeve option to use the original cover makes me think that I can double use it as a journal cover, and it is really nice. Also, since someone seemed confused, you can use the cover inside cover OR the velcro; you don't need to use both. (I'm not going to velcro my reader, personally).

Wait to see what the final product looks like before you discard the option would be my two cents.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #39
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Are they going to be compatible with the booklight?
no idea what so ever as they didnt say. So I am waiting until 8th May to find out! Wouldnt it be great if it did.

Natalie
Old 04-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
no idea what so ever as they didnt say. So I am waiting until 8th May to find out! Wouldnt it be great if it did.

Natalie
That it would. Might give the lightwedge a run for it's money.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:23 PM   #41
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
M-Edge would be your best choice. You can get a cover now that uses 4-corner straps to hold the Reader in place.
Cool! Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be waiting for May 8 for M-edge, or soon for Oberon, depending on what the final product ends up looking like...

Sayhello
Old 04-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #42
makincheez
makincheez began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
nwinter, thanks for heads-up as I really appreciate it but I think I'll keep my order in place. I really love leather and I really love the look of the Oberon covers. That being said, the only problem I had with the standard Sony cover was that I always seemed open it up only to find myself looking at the back of the reader . That and it isn't leather. Pretty minor quibbles. I have to admit the Mocha cover with the Saddle strap closure for the Kindle 2 looks mighty tasty but, based on the feedback I've read, I'll be perfectly happy with the all Mocha Executive. I hope you find something you like

Quote:
Makincheez, I found out M edge are releasing a new range of 505 covers and should be avilable on their web site from 8th May. Hopefully they will be similar in colour/style to the kindle 2 covers ( this just hope as I have no idea what they will be like). I too had just placed an order and they are super helpful and are trying to stop the order shipping ( thats if you got it direct from them). So from the 8th of may a whole new set of covers will be avilable.

Natalie
makincheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #43
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MeeBook, Kobo Libra Colour
I must say I'm disappointed, too, by what's shown here. It looks like they added velcro to their journal cover and called it good. They have a four-corner strap version of the Kindle cover, why not for the Sony?

I just got the M-edge Executive cover (red for my red reader) and I love it. Smells like an old book, feels good, the pockets are in the right place, holds the reader securely, seems to offer good protection. What's not to like?

Yes, I'd like something prettier, but unless Oberon sizes it down and adds corner holders, this isn't it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
nwinter
Zealot

Quote:
That it would. Might give the lightwedge a run for it's money.
This is what I got today. They are a great company and cancelled my order that I placed so I can order the new cover as well. being itnernational it was going to cost me and addition $29 shipping to get a second cover sent over so now I can combine them. Sounds positive....

Natalie,
Your order has been cancelled and refunded. Our new Sony 505 jackets will have a light pocket, but our light would be a sold separately accessory. Additionally, we are working on our Kindle compatible eLuminator, and our Sony 505 light will come out afterwards. I am not sure on the exact delivery time for the 505 compatible light. You may want to check back early May for the updated 505 jackets.

Take care!
Team M-Edge

exciting!

natalie
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #45
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't care about the clip - in fact, I could do without it. My biggest complaint about the clip is that when I bend the front cover over to the back the entire reader ends up moving. If velcro or some other method (like a four corner strap - which I see for their existing Kindle covers) is available, I'd go with that instead.

I would, however, much prefer that they not make them as big as they were in the beta. I'd like it to keep as close as possible to the original cover dimensions.

Visually, I love the designs. I will, in all likelihood, buy one of these anyway. However, if I had my own preference I'd choose one that didn't strap closed but was magnetized like the classic covers. In other words, one that looked like their Icon Journals rather than then Classic Journals. But, if Kindle (and the beta) is any indicator, it's going to be Class Journal-based.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote