Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #31
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Color me confused.

I just got my first Kindle, the Fire HDX 7. Do I already have what you folks are talking about? There was no note from Jeff on my device. How do I find out, on the device, what OS version its actually running?
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Color me confused.

I just got my first Kindle, the Fire HDX 7. Do I already have what you folks are talking about? There was no note from Jeff on my device. How do I find out, on the device, what OS version its actually running?
They didn't do a new model HDX 7 this year so it should have Kindle OS 3. The current software version can be found under Settings--->Device--->System Updates. The current sw for the HDX is version 3.2.6, my 8.9 uses a 14 prefix so says 14.3.2.6. Not sure if the 7 uses the same prefix or a different one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Sangria wont be here for a few more weeks but I'm sure I read the HDX will get it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They didn't do a new model HDX 7 this year so it should have Kindle OS 3. The current software version can be found under Settings--->Device--->System Updates. The current sw for the HDX is version 3.2.6, my 8.9 uses a 14 prefix so says 14.3.2.6. Not sure if the 7 uses the same prefix or a different one.
HDX 7 is 13.3.2.6. I listed the most current software versions in post 9.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #35
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sangria wont be here for a few more weeks but I'm sure I read the HDX will get it.
It will.
Advert
Old 10-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #36
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for the info, everyone. Much appreciated.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #37
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
That's great. I see my HD 7 (2013) got some sort of system update on 23 Sept. I'm curious how much space this upgrade will need on my 8 gig device as there's not lots of space left. I understand Kitkat runs lighter on hardware than Jellybean, that could be impressive for battery life, especially adding in the new battery saving setting.
It is nice to get new versions of an OS but many OEMs are cautious because big upgrades can create bugs on older hardware. My guess is that Amazon has just been cautious in the past, but they tightly control hardware and software so I don't expect any issues with the upgrade.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One app we will lose is GSAM battery monitor. KitKat doesn't allow you to grab battery info. I don't think there was ever a fix. I had to find a different app on my Nexus after I got KitKat
Old 10-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #39
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is more info:
http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon...kindle-fire-os
But there is one concern, Amazon's app store is frequently running behind the Google Play app store when it comes to updated apps, and that makes me think we may run into a number of apps that won't work or be updated for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I want the Kitkat/Sangria version, but we may have to wait for some Amazon app store apps to catch up again. One concern I have in particular is a review I read on the new HD 6 that says Overdrive doesn't work on it. I think the apps will catch up, but it may take awhile.
edit/update: I have not got the actual letter yet. Does it say "some features" of Fire OS 4 or actually a system upgrade to Fire OS 4 for 2013 Fires?

Fire OS 4 is available on the new Fire tablets, with some features coming to the 3rd generation Kindle Fire HDX and Kindle Fire HD (released in 2013) as part of free, over-the-air Fire OS updates starting later this year.
https://developer.amazon.com/public/...n-Fire-Tablets

Last edited by conan50; 10-06-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
But there is one concern, Amazon's app store is frequently running behind the Google Play app store when it comes to updated apps, and that makes me think we may run into a number of apps that won't work or be updated for awhile.
It could be a bit of a concern as some app devs don't seem to do a good job of keeping their apps up to date on Amazon.

Quote:
One concern I have in particular is a review I read on the new HD 6 that says Overdrive doesn't work on it. I think the apps will catch up, but it may take awhile.
The app is the same version (3.2.0) on both Amazon & Google Play so perhaps there is some other kind of issue.

Quote:
I have not got the actual letter yet. Does it say "some features" of Fire OS 4 or actually a system upgrade to Fire OS 4 for 2013 Fires?
The first sentence of the letter is, "Your tablet will be updated to Fire OS4 in the coming weeks."
Old 10-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #41
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I don't see why Overdrive would have issues. Is the person using the latest version. I use it on Nexus 7 without problems.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #42
conan50
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

The app is the same version (3.2.0) on both Amazon & Google Play so perhaps there is some other kind of issue.

The first sentence of the letter is, "Your tablet will be updated to Fire OS4 in the coming weeks."
It could have been that the reviewer was having other issues unrelated to the Overdrive app. I hope so as I need that one.
That is awesome that they are doing a full OS upgrade. And a pretty big deal.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
One app we will lose is GSAM battery monitor. KitKat doesn't allow you to grab battery info. I don't think there was ever a fix. I had to find a different app on my Nexus after I got KitKat
Color me sad. I really like GSAM battery monitor. I hope there is something that will give actual battery usage!
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Color me sad. I really like GSAM battery monitor. I hope there is something that will give actual battery usage!
Not without root. You can get battery percentage I use a app for that on my Nexus but you don't need it on the Kindle Fire as it shows the percentage in the status bar without an app. You just got to turn it on in settings. Alot of things KitKat has changed like on tablets with SD Cards you can't move or delete files in app anymore. You have to manually do everything. Shouldn't be a problem with the Kindle Fire though no SD Card.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #45
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
It could have been that the reviewer was having other issues unrelated to the Overdrive app. I hope so as I need that one.
That is awesome that they are doing a full OS upgrade. And a pretty big deal.
Yeah, makes me wonder if I should unroot and go back to the Amazon OS on my 2012 Fire HD. I'll wait and see how I like it on the Fire 6, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote