Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #31
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Well, I do actually need it for calls and text in case of emergency but a $25 reload every 3 months should be more than enough for that. No idea if it's possible to activate without setting up service first. I think it should but since this came from Verizon, I won't really know until I get it. So far, all my Androids have been factory unlocked GSM models. Apart from the initial load which may or may not be required, I don't really see any reason why you won't be able to use it as a wifi-only device. I reckon the Moto G should work quite nicely as an Android equivalent to the iPod Touch. I do think this would be a nice upgrade over the Galaxy Nexus and low-end/mid-range Xperias I have right now.
I use my Lumia 920 as a wifi only device. I just turned off my 3G option. I presume Android has a similar option somewhere... (I don't have a 3G android device, so I can't help you there).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I use my Lumia 920 as a wifi only device. I just turned off my 3G option. I presume Android has a similar option somewhere... (I don't have a 3G android device, so I can't help you there).
Yep, there's a similar option for Android. Usually, an easy off switch is available either as a widget or in the notification bar. What I'm not sure about is whether the device would require Verizon service activation during initial set-up. As I mentioned, all my Android phones so far have been factory unlocked GSM with no carrier bloat. I didn't even need to have a SIM card inside for set-up. I have no idea if initial set-up would be the same for Verizon's Moto G (CDMA).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #33
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm quite happy with my Samsung flip-phone (Convoy 2) and Nexus 4 16GB combo. If the Moto X 16GB was available for $120 (the additional $20 between models), then it would be tempting (for a gift).
Somehow, I don't see the Moto X going for that cheap anytime soon. Or did you mean the Moto G 16GB?

Lol, I've actually got tons of phones but they're all GSM. I don't need another Android but I do need a prepaid phone that will work on Verizon's network. The Moto G is cheap so figured what the heck. It will be a nice addition to my collection.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Somehow, I don't see the Moto X going for that cheap anytime soon. Or did you mean the Moto G 16GB?

Lol, I've actually got tons of phones but they're all GSM. I don't need another Android but I do need a prepaid phone that will work on Verizon's network. The Moto G is cheap so figured what the heck. It will be a nice addition to my collection.
Sorry, I meant Moto G
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote