Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #31
Trouhel
Enthusiast
Trouhel began at the beginning.

Device: none
in case someone someday is interested enough to give it a try

new version uploaded that fixes previously mentioned issues:

1) works out-of-the box with MS-Word ("how-to" as sample included in the documentation)
2) provides a FreeBSD package to install script and all dependencies via the ports collection (fairly easier than looked like at first glance). Provides every hints needed to port on any wxLUa/ConTeXt compatible OS

plus (from the README file):

* support for MS Word floated graphics (and a new "sample" annex to the documentation on how-to use with MS Word)
* partial support for:
* Complex Text Layout scripts (works with ConTeXt, relies on the ePUB reading system ability to use "Open Type" lookups: not the case with any ADE based ones)
* on-demand "Open Type" lookup tables (such as "Old Style" numbers, ligatures, etc.) for other scripts (PDF only)
* Right-to-Left scripts in paragraphs (mixed bi-directional text layout still relies on the rendering engine: i.e. wrong in the ConTeXt generated PDF, if directionality (i.e. "lang") is not explicitly and carefully set in the source documents (which is not available when using Microsoft Word and/or Open Office Writer)

roadmap for next(s) version(s) (if any):

a) user control over microtypography via GUI

b) integration of ICU BiDir and Layout Engine -- if technically feasible -- in any case, will be provided separately as (C++) sources only, if it works
: will give access to a) correct ordering of glyphs b) true set of glyphs (=far more efficient font subsetting) used for a few RTL and CTL scripts. Won
't clear every issue (character positioning) with every CTL scripts anyhow: some cannot be handled except inside the rendering engines. Will, to the best of my knowledge, do the job for Arabic scripts, not Devanagari, and maybe other Hindic scripts

c) Arabic as a main language (i.e. full Arabic projects, including titles, ToC, etc. + Latin as far as ConTeXt permits)

d) try to find a way to do Devanagari (resorting to ConTexT MkII/XeTeX instead of ConTexT MkIV/LuaTeX, while poorer when it comes to microtypography, may be one)
Trouhel is offline   Reply With Quote