Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #31
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I fully appreciate your viewpoint, and obviously the decision is entirely yours to make.
Likewise my friend, likewise
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #32
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Like you, I bought an iPad largely for the convenience of being able to read books from multiple sources, and, from my perspective, the new app-store rules don't change that in the slightest. I don't spend enough time buying books for it to concern me one jot whether I buy them from the reading app or from the web browser. Moreover, we've known about these changes for - what? 3 months? 6 months? A long time, whatever it is, so it was absolutely no surprise whatsoever that these app changes have been made.
From my point of view, I was buying Kindle books anyway, which was already being done through a web browser rather than in the app, so the only difference would be that now I would have to open the site up myself, rather than opening it from within the Kindle app.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon has complied as well:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...TxFSUR2H7D8D9W
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #34
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Well, that's that. I guess there's no one left to say nay.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #35
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Et Tu Brute.

I would suggest that Apple has zero legal recourse if suddenly only links to stories at least a month old relating to apple show up anymore on Google's search engine, and all sales links disappear.

I think it would be funny to watch this happen.
Sure, if Google were shortsighted, whiny, and as caught up in silly fanboy wars as people tend to be on the Internet I see much the same sentiment posted about Adobe ("They should stop selling Photoshop for OSX! That will show Apple!"). But business is business.
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #36
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Well, that's that. I guess there's no one left to say nay.
Google hasn't re-released their Books app yet.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Sure, if Google were shortsighted, whiny, and as caught up in silly fanboy wars as people tend to be on the Internet I see much the same sentiment posted about Adobe ("They should stop selling Photoshop for OSX! That will show Apple!"). But business is business.
Business is business, but so is hardball.
And Goggle is not shy about hardballing anybody.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...s-from-search/

Considering how little business Google Books gets off iOS, the PR benefits from a boycot might outweigh the lost revenue if Google wants to play it up. Especialy considering Google Books is more of an online service anyway.

They'll probably take the path of least resistance, anyway.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #38
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
What happens if you don't install the updates? My son's ipod has the warnings that the updates are there but he hasn't installed them and still has the old versions. Haven't tried buying anything yet so it will be interesting to see if it works.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #39
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
It would cost Google little to do this, as Apple would cave inside of two days.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #40
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
But business is business.
Damn right, I'm thinkin' maybe we should cut school budgets so we can extend them some tax incentives, soes they can continue to create wealth and people in China don't need to worry bout losing their jobs.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #41
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Pippa, you can still use the old Kobo app. You need not install the update. That being said, one of the problems with the older version was that sync was for some unknown (to me) reason not working properly on the old Kobo App for iOS. I'm assuming that sync was fixed in this version. I haven't heard about it yet from my iOS friends .

More then that, the App is fairly frequently updated for new features, which, if you do not update, you will not get. There are alternatives to in-App purchasing, so that might be the best bet.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #42
Season
Season began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
My viewpoint is, I bought a product with certain expectations. Apple has now changed those expectations. Apple made a choice to make their product less user friendly for their customers in order to increase what I would assume are already healthy profit margins.

They have a right to do so, just like they have a right to force you to sign new terms and conditions every other month, although you bought their product based on the terms and conditions in effect at the time of your purchase.

While they have the right to do these things they also have to accept the subsequent risk that some of their customers will get tired of their policies and say enough is enough.

I'm in total agreement with you! I got an iPad as a gift and will not willingly get another apple product. My next tablet will also have flash. Sheesh!
In my case they lost a customer. I an very sure they can afford to lose me as a customer, but then I can also say with equal assurance I can live life without Apple products and at this point, quite happy to do so.[/QUOTE]
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Business is business, but so is hardball.
And Goggle is not shy about hardballing anybody.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...s-from-search/

Considering how little business Google Books gets off iOS, the PR benefits from a boycot might outweigh the lost revenue if Google wants to play it up. Especialy considering Google Books is more of an online service anyway.
But if Google Books left the iPad, how many people would even notice?
They don't have the sort of leverage that Amazon, Netflix, etc... do
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #44
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I'm proud to say I don't own an iPad -- or any Apple product -- and don't expect to ever own any Apple product precisely because I don't want Stevie-boy deciding what is good and what is bad for me. At my age, I think I can manage to make those decisions myself. Besides, if it weren't for Apple we might not have agency pricing. Considering that Stevie believes reading is dead, the least he could have done is wholly ignored ebooks rather than making life more miserable for consumers.
It's clearly a business decision.

I actually dislike iTunes, but I believe the iPad is the best tablet out there and an excellent PDF and IT books reader (because the size)

The user has the choice. But Jobs does not take decisions on my behalf. I like Amazon and besides O'reilly, is my main online bookstore source. I do not buy books from Apple but Amazon.

Now, the ability to use different reading apps, is what makes iPad a nice device. We can install B&N Nook, Kindle, GoodReader, etc. If Apple decides to block that, then I would say the iPad will be a piece of junk. But as long as I have the ability to read on same device and buy from the online store, I don't see any issues.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #45
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Pippa, you can still use the old Kobo app. You need not install the update. That being said, one of the problems with the older version was that sync was for some unknown (to me) reason not working properly on the old Kobo App for iOS. I'm assuming that sync was fixed in this version. I haven't heard about it yet from my iOS friends .

More then that, the App is fairly frequently updated for new features, which, if you do not update, you will not get. There are alternatives to in-App purchasing, so that might be the best bet.
Thanks Taming, you're right, it is pretty easy to navigate to the store via safari. We download the epub for all books anyway so have to go to kobobooks.com to do this. Hopefully they will develop a mobile interface soon though.

It's the principle of it that annoys me more than anything.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote