Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #31
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Wrong again. If you're going to attempt to debate, at least do it in good faith.

Napster 'died' in 2001. The iTunes store opened in 2003. The iPod was released in 2001. Windows support was added in 2003.
wrong again? Really? So consumer's sided with the labels and were so upset being able to download their favorite music for free? Ok, I don't know what's the color of the sky is in your little world.

and when did the iPod take off? the iPod was not dominate between 2001 and 2003 . It wasn't until after iTunes store came into play, Apple made deals with the lables, who were in fear of another Napster like company emerging, so they lined up with Apple. and the rest is history. Also Apple purchased Soundjam in 2000 or 1999 which is the basis for iTunes. And besides weren't the first iPods only Mac compatible? And they were most likely less than 1% of the consumer market of computers back then.

iPods did not take off before iTunes. only after the iTunes store came into be.

Last edited by boswd; 06-22-2011 at 10:07 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #32
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
wrong again? Really?
As usual.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #33
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=RockdaMan;1623040]As usual.[/QUOTE

So you are telling me that there was this huge group of consumers who were opposed to napster and we're glad to see it come down?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #34
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"

I thought the thread was about HP Touch Pad ,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #35
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
MS muscled, and got whacked by the antitrust courts for it.

Apple did no such thing in the MP3 player market, the touch-phone market, nor the tablet market.

They just built and offered products that people wanted to buy.
When I said "same thing", I wasn't talking about the "muscling". I was referring to coming into an already established class and dominating it. I was just addressing the notion that you have to get in on the ground floor with a new device/software class. That's demonstrably false. What you need to succeed in a situation like that is marketing muscle (at least). HP certainly has that. If they put the kind of thought into the ads that they put into their laptop ads a while back (the ones that had celebrities talking about them, showing only their hands), that would do really well, I think.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #36
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

I thought the thread was about HP Touch Pad ,
and I thought this subforum was about Android.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #37
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
and I thought this subforum was about Android.
Actually, you are right, that's a good point.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #38
BenjaminJames
Enthusiast
BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.BenjaminJames for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony 505 (2nd one), had a Cool-er but broke it, Dell Streak
Quote:
As usual.
"troll" How can an apple fan boy come into the android forum and act like this??. You seriously must be about 13 therefore I will not use profanity or be horrible to yoU I will simply ask you to move along please
BenjaminJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #39
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ben,

No name calling please.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminJames View Post
"troll" How can an apple fan boy come into the android forum and act like this??. You seriously must be about 13 therefore I will not use profanity or be horrible to yoU I will simply ask you to move along please
Deep down Rockdaman is a nice guy, way down deep -- once you peel away all those fruity layers. My guess is he will come around in about 2 years or so. After Steve Jobs is gone and Android has trounced Apple in the tablet space as well.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #41
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
When people think tablets, they think of iPad and Android. Very few people immediately think of HP's OS. Their offering would have to be very special in order to make a splash. Sadly, it is not.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #42
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodad View Post
When people think tablets, they think of iPad and Android. Very few people immediately think of HP's OS. Their offering would have to be very special in order to make a splash. Sadly, it is not.
I think it has a few distinguishing characteristics:

1) Touch to Share. If they can expand on it to share more than Web pages, it would be some pretty impressive technology.

2) Excellent integration of social media in the apps (e.g., posting pictures to FB or Twitter).

3) Super-fluid multitasking management.

In other words, the OS itself is really slick. They don't seem to have skimped on the hardware, either. What the TouchPad will really live or die by, though, is the apps. WebOS has really suffered from lack of app support.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #43
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Those are good characteristics, but none of them are going to drive people to their device and away from market leaders. I agree about the apps, though. I have a rommed Nook Color and I'm dying for decent tablet-formatted apps. It seems like most of the Android apps are about the same quality as the first generation iOS apps. It will take time, I know.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #44
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Those are good characteristics, but none of them are going to drive people to their device and away from market leaders. I agree about the apps, though.
I think the multitasking has the potential, at least, to sway some people. If the ads showed someone, for example, going through a Web page while they're videoconferencing without having to switch between windows (i.e., while both were in card view) that would be kind of impressive. But yeah, the problem is apps. It's difficult to distinguish WebOS with multitasking when you don't have that many great apps to multitask with.

Quote:
I have a rommed Nook Color and I'm dying for decent tablet-formatted apps. It seems like most of the Android apps are about the same quality as the first generation iOS apps. It will take time, I know.
Android has the advantage of having a lot of mindshare with developers. I doubt it'll take long for the majority of apps to be rewritten to take advantage of both the smartphone and tablet form factors. Unlike with WebOS, Android has really taken off w/ developers.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #45
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
After Steve Jobs is gone
Please stop saying that. May he and everyone else have a long, long life.

Quote:
and Android has trounced Apple in the tablet space as well.
I wasn't aware they had been trounced in the phone space. Have people stopped buying iPhones? It's not a trouncing until that happens.