Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadine37 View Post
how do you disable updates?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37&postcount=7
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #32
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Silly question...how do you pay for apps on AppBrain? When I list the apps, it says "Total Price: $4.68" but no button or anything to pay.

I am looking on the website from a computer BTW.

Thanks!

I downloaded a paid app, SlideMe, a bit ago and didn't even realize it was supposed to be a paid app until I started looking at the AppBrain website! It seems to work fine...

Last edited by noaxis2; 01-26-2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: more information
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #33
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Appbrain directs you to the Market.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #34
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
It is available on the website now for those interested (who haven't yet rooted) Pinch to zoom was a nice addition! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35607

Software Updates - Version 1.1.0
Barnes & Noble is providing a minor update to NOOKcolor firmware that will improve NOOKcolor's Wi-Fi connectivity; improve Home and Shop performance; add the ability to pinch and zoom in browser; enhance the reading experience for magazines and children's books; add a text banner to easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me™ books; and other general bug fixes and performance improvements. The software update is available immediately via a manual download here and will also be delivered via an automatic download for devices connected to Wi-Fi®, over the next few days.
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #35
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Also you might want to go back to stock and update to 1.0.1 (I can put the image file on dropbox if you need it) , root that and stop autoupdate from functioning
I was going to do that today, but I didn't have the time. I might do it tonight.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #36
jenniren
Nook Newb

Looks like the other site is already at work hehehe...

Steps to manually apply 1.1 on top of rooted 1.01 (and retain root)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930460
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 AM   #37
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Don't come around for a day or so...and this pops up.......personally.....the update doesn't do much for me.....don't see a need for the 1.1 update.......static wifi fixed my only issue.......no added feature in this for me......

Hopefully the disable auto update thing works.......if not...and it goes back to stock.......I'll re-root....or I'll just do whatever SCION thinks is best.....if I've learned anything......it's do what those who know do......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 AM   #38
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Looks like I need to just turn off my WiFi for the time being. I really kept intending to flash back to stock and re-root (the auto resets are really annoying) but I want to do it on my own time, and not because the update might force me to any moment now.

I'm also curious as to what the update would actually do to my root. Thinking about just letting it update and going from there.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 AM   #39
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Read Write View Post
Looks like I need to just turn off my WiFi for the time being. I really kept intending to flash back to stock and re-root (the auto resets are really annoying) but I want to do it on my own time, and not because the update might force me to any moment now.

I'm also curious as to what the update would actually do to my root. Thinking about just letting it update and going from there.
I'm on 1.0.0 with OTA cert renamed and I've never had any problems. I don't see any need to update yet since none of the updates has had anything notable in them.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #40
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
It's been hinted for a while at the B&N Developer forum that 1.1 was also going to include the ability for Devs to use the NC for testing, rather than having to develop through an emulator. So far no word over there as to what is actually in 1.1, besides what you folks have already pointed out.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #41
jenniren
Nook Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Hopefully the disable auto update thing works.......if not...and it goes back to stock.......I'll re-root....or I'll just do whatever SCION thinks is best.....if I've learned anything......it's do what those who know do......

True dat! lol I shut off wifi just to see what develops over the next few days, but yeah. Worse comes to worse back to stock and re root - or whatever SCION and the other wise ones of this board thinks is best.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Hello, good people, new user with a question here.

Not sure if this has any bearing to my question in terms of warranty, (I doubt it) but I'm in Canada and brought over a NookColor from the US recently. (Love it) As always, with new gadges that I buy, I upgrade the firmware right way and of course, I did the latest update manually.
Now, I see that the reader can be hacked, and as an enthusiast, I have the urge to do so but I noticed that rooting the Nook reguires the older firmware. Here's the question: What would you advise me to do? Flash back and apply the previous update, then root? Leave things as is and manually apply the root as described at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930460 OR just wait until an updated root version is released?

I am quite comfortable with such procedures by the way, just not very familiar with this particular unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #43
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Hello, good people, new user with a question here.

Not sure if this has any bearing to my question in terms of warranty, (I doubt it) but I'm in Canada and brought over a NookColor from the US recently. (Love it) As always, with new gadges that I buy, I upgrade the firmware right way and of course, I did the latest update manually.
Now, I see that the reader can be hacked, and as an enthusiast, I have the urge to do so but I noticed that rooting the Nook reguires the older firmware. Here's the question: What would you advise me to do? Flash back and apply the previous update, then root? Leave things as is and manually apply the root as described at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930460 OR just wait until an updated root version is released?

I am quite comfortable with such procedures by the way, just not very familiar with this particular unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Hi Apoc. I think the only solutions that currently exist are to roll back to 1.0.1 via sdcard and root OR wait for a 1.1.0 Autonoot. Also I havent heard of anyone reporting that they attempted to rollback to 1.0.1 so that might not be an option either.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #44
jenniren
Nook Newb

I would wait until the "wizards of rooting" come up with an auto nooter for 1.1 myself, then root. Knowing them, it will only be a matter of days lol! That is just my humble opinion! You will LOVE the rooted nook!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #45
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
I would wait until the "wizards of rooting" come up with an auto nooter for 1.1 myself, then root. Knowing them, it will only be a matter of days lol! That is just my humble opinion! You will LOVE the rooted nook!
I agree. I had mine rooted this morning and I went back to 1.0.0 to see what this updae was like. So far I like it. I will probably re-root once an autonooter for 1.1 comes out.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote