Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #31
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Iphone numbers definitely will go up with Verizon. But long term it is no contest with a single device with a small screen against all those choices offered by Android.

And, at least here in Asia, Apple service absolutely stinks to high heavens.
Technically there are three or four* basic devices running iOS, one of them with a large 9.7" display. But still you're right in that Android has more hardware options.

*Depending on whether you count appleTV.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #32
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Technically there are three or four* basic devices running iOS, one of them with a large 9.7" display. But still you're right in that Android has more hardware options.

*Depending on whether you count appleTV.
Don't forget Google TV and other appliances with Android... I was just comparing phones, of course, since that is the subject of the thread.

Give it 2 more years and we will have the Ipad being only a minor player in the tablet business. Apple will still make good money, of course. They just won't be a dominant force.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #33
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Apple will be second tier again as they have been on the computer side. A single hardware manufacturer with a single OS cannot stay on top of the market when competing against many manufactures using an OS that an be customized to suit its use. Apple hit the market at just the right time with the Iphone, competing with Rim which was a great business phone but boring and Windows mobile which had a lot of potential but was kludgey and web browsing sucked. That market doesn't exist any more.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:44 AM   #34
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
How will Verizon getting the iPhone affect this? I know I will be trading in my Droid.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
How will Verizon getting the iPhone affect this? I know I will be trading in my Droid.
Would you really want a phone that will only work in the US? Don't you ever visit other countries?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #36
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would you really want a phone that will only work in the US? Don't you ever visit other countries?
Yes. Not recently.
Verizon has the best reception and plan for my everyday use. Why would I trade that on the chance I may go to another country for a couple of weeks

Last edited by BenG; 01-09-2011 at 12:19 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #37
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Don't forget Google TV and other appliances with Android... I was just comparing phones, of course, since that is the subject of the thread.

Give it 2 more years and we will have the Ipad being only a minor player in the tablet business. Apple will still make good money, of course. They just won't be a dominant force.
I think two years may be optimistic. I've been really surprised by how weakly tablet makers have responded to the iPad - the Galaxy Tab seems decent enough, but it's expensive (costing as much or more as an iPad while having a smaller screen)...and there's still no wifi-only model. Maybe things will change with Honeycomb. But I think that the real issue is whether iPads and iPhones are more like computers - in which case Apple will drop down to second place - or are more like the iPod and other "appliances," in which case Apple may become dominant.

And I don't think we know the answer to that question yet.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM   #38
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Wouldn't you want to buy a car with the steering wheel on the left hand side to make it easier to drive when you visit other countries? Sorry couldn't resist.

Roaming charges are so high for me it would be cheaper to buy a separate phone for when I travel.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:22 PM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
Roaming charges are so high for me it would be cheaper to buy a separate phone for when I travel.
I agree; data roaming charges are crazy. Best thing to do is to buy a local SIM and put it into your phone, but of course you can't do that with a CDMA phone .

Perhaps I'm way off base here, but isn't CDMA a dying technology? I was under the (very possibly mistaken) impression that GSM and its successors had taken over now?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That's what I thought too Harry til I switched to Android and Verizon and found out they were still on CDMA.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's what I thought too Harry til I switched to Android and Verizon and found out they were still on CDMA.
Oh yes, I know that Verizon are still a CDMA network . What I meant was why would someone sign up with Verizon when world+dog is now GSM? Is it simply that they have better coverage than GSM providers in some areas of the US?
Old 01-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I did it because they are the only ones offering the Droid X.

My coverage was fine with AT&T and GSM
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I did it because they are the only ones offering the Droid X.
That is of course an excellent reason!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #44
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The danger that I see Android running into is that there are too many releases coming out and too much churn. People are frustrated with Apple for this and they're only releasing once a year. Techies and gadget lovers want the latest and greatest but the mass market doesn't like their phone being obsolete in 6 months.
I think apart from a few people who want their smart-phone to replace their PSP for gaming and those who do buy as status symbols, high-end devices have got to the point where you can do anything you want with them.

Now that you can word-process, watch video, browse the real web, use the device as a fully functioning GPS system and read all the news you want using RSS, what would it take to make the consumer really desperate to upgrade more often than every 2 years? Especially since you can root and have full control which version of the OS you have on the device - gone are the days when the manufacturer could deny you a firmware upgrade to force you to upgrade your hardware.

You see dual core smart-phones coming with massive screens and HDMI output. At that point, you're getting closer to a tablet PC than a smart phone, in my opinion. Sure, they look attractive, but I think battery-life, heat and portability may be a significant issue with some of the next generation of devices.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #45
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Actually, Harry, very few Americans have passports - 30% or less, I think - a fact brought up by Canadian border towns whose businesses feared the loss of business. Now you need a passport to return to the US by air (or boat?), or at least a special drivers license to return by car. So you can leave (I don't think Canada requires a passport for entry), but you can't go back.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote