Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #31
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Kaser doesn't show any such specs on their site, but I sent them an email.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #32
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I was surprised to see a flash drive so big so fast and so cheap! I guess you're one year ahead of us mogui.

Say! do you see a $200 flexible A4 colo(u)r eink device in that time zone of yours?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #33
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
Kaser doesn't show any such specs on their site, but I sent them an email.
Thank you... ^_^

I wondering since the batpack in the Asus is a 2 parallel 2 serial configured... Not sure how long it can run at 1/2 amp { max USB } draw.

Be nice if it can handle the newer SD HD modules... Just caught a 16GB one...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:24 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing View Post
Any specs on power requirements??? Max via USB is around 1/2 amp at 5 volts..
There are not very many 1.8" drive vendors. Tom's hardware has a recent review of the Toshiba 100 GB drive, and about a year ago they reviewed 30-40 GB drives from Hitachi and Toshiba. Power Draw (Max/Active/Idle/Stand-by) is about 1.8/1.1/0.4/0.07 W.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #35
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There are not very many 1.8" drive vendors. Tom's hardware has a recent review of the Toshiba 100 GB drive, and about a year ago they reviewed 30-40 GB drives from Hitachi and Toshiba. Power Draw (Max/Active/Idle/Stand-by) is about 1.8/1.1/0.4/0.07 W.
Since they normaly run at 5v that about

I = P/E

MAX: 360ma
ACTIVE: 220ma
IDLE: 80ma
SB: 14ma

Thank you for the information! ^_^
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 07:57 PM   #36
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I was surprised to see a flash drive so big so fast and so cheap! I guess you're one year ahead of us mogui.

Say! do you see a $200 flexible A4 colo(u)r eink device in that time zone of yours?
Lest I be accused of having been gulled, I should qualify my purchase decision. I was wandering the floor of Fry's with cash in my pocket. A dangerous situation. I had intended to buy the largest thumb drive I could find. Thumb drive, USB key, flash drive and so on -- we call them a you pai in China, pronounced yo pie. It is easier to remember you pai than to have to choose from all the English synonyms.

I asked a clerk where the you pais were. Of course I used an appropriate English synonym. He led me to a dim section of the underlighted store. I was wishing for a flashlight. Preferably head-mounted. The 8 Gig you pais were $90. Right next to them were these Kaser Portable Vault drives. I made the unquestioning assumption that they too were flash devices. Since they were very light and compact and the smallest one was almost twice the capacity of the largest you pai for almost $30 less, well, it was an easy choice. In fact I bought two of them because one of the ladies in my household is a computer science major.

Now about the A4-sized eReader. Of course they are all over the place here but they only display upside down in Chinese. They are in every supermarket right next to the synonym rolls.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #37
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I also asked Kaser in my email if the drives time out and spin down when not being accessed. This is an important consideration for those of us who wish to avoid torque pollution.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:54 AM   #38
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I also asked Kaser in my email if the drives time out and spin down when not being accessed. This is an important consideration for those of us who wish to avoid torque pollution.
USB by def's has a shut down feature built in... Be interesting if it does have it.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:38 AM   #39
mogui
eNigma

The drive in the Kaser Portable Vault is a Toshiba MK1504GAL. From Toshiba's user manual:
Quote:
INTRODUCTION – MK1504GAL (HDD1285)
General Features
• 1.8" sized drive
• 1 Platter
• 15 Gigabytes*
• 5mm High
• 15ms Average Seek Time
• ATA (2 - 5) Interface
• Ultra DMA 100
• 512KB Buffer
• Rotational speed of 4,200rpm
• MTTF 300,000 Hours

SPECIFICATIONS – MK1504GAL (HDD1285)
General
Model MK1504GAL (HDD1285)
Interface ATA-2/3/4/5
Functionality
Formatted Capacity 15.0GB*
Rotational Speed 4200rpm
Avg. Rotational Latency 7.14/ms
Spin-up Time 3.5sec (typical)
Buffer 512KB
Seek Time Average Maximum 15 26
Internal Transfer Rate 125.5 ~ 253.1 Mbits/sec (max)
Host Transfer Rate Ultra DMA mode PIO Mode 100Mbytes/sec 16.6Mbytes/sec
Interleave Factor 1:1
*Toshiba defines a megabyte (MB) as 1,000,000 bytes and a gigabyte (GB) as 1,000,000,000 bytes.
Internal Drive Characteristics
Number of Disks 1
Number of Data Heads 2
Track Density (TPI) 3,039 (77.2k)
Logical Cylinders 16,383
Logical Heads 16
Logical Sectors/track 63
Bytes per Sector 512
Logical Blocks (LBA) 29,297,520
Reliability
Preventative maintenance None
Non-recoverable read errors 1 error per 1013 bits read
Electrical
Voltage 3.3V 5%
Power Consumption
Start 1.2W typ
Seek 1.4W typ
Read/Write 1.4W typ
Sleep 0.08W typ
Energy Consumption Efficiency 0.027W/GB avg
Shock
Operating 1,960m/s2 (200G)(2msec)
Non-Operating 9,800m/s2 (1000G)(1msec)
Physical
Height 0.2" (5.0mm)
Width 2.13" (54.0mm)
Depth 3.09" (78.5mm)
Weight 1.8oz (51g) typ
The drive is very close in size to a PCMCIA card. This model drive is used in the iPod.

Last edited by mogui; 06-15-2007 at 03:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 AM   #40
Nightwing
Addict

Also use in a few other units...

Nice work! ^_^
Old 06-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #41
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Has anyone added Kohjinsha to the list yet? Seem to be a good choice.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #42
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy! View Post
Has anyone added Kohjinsha to the list yet? Seem to be a good choice.
1000 USD makes it cheap, but ultra-cheap?
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #43
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Has anyone seen anything else mentioned about Microsoft SideShow devices?
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #44
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
Has anyone seen anything else mentioned about Microsoft SideShow devices?
There is an existing thread: More E Ink: Ricavision eReader for Vista is introduced.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:26 AM   #45
Nightwing
Addict

I have cooked up a crew paper model of the 701... Its in Publisher format.. Very crude but really helps in making up your mind....

Would any one like it???

Could try to convert it over to 4 Jpeg's. It takes four 8.5 x 11 sheets to make it.