Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #31
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The "scandal" here isn't that they're providing this service for a fee, but that they are providing the service at all while saying doing it at home is illegal.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #32
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Even at no-dollars it would still be too much, unless you value your time as worthless. I don't get in my car and drive down to a Chapters to get my ebooks, and I'm certainly not going to waste my time going to a store to get a digital copy of a movie I already own, in an inferior format/quality to what I could get if I bothered to rip it myself.

WB's proposed system is basically asking me to pay money to have my time wasted; it's about as far divorced from the reality that the rest of us live in as it's possible to be.
The reason I'd pay a nominal fee is that I DO value my time--I'd have to first teach myself how to strip the DVDs--I don't know how to do that. So I see the system as a way to save some time, if it's priced low enough.

Seems like it's the same as paying for a paper book to e-book conversion--I'd weigh the price of the service against the time it would take to do it myself.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The reason I'd pay a nominal fee is that I DO value my time--I'd have to first teach myself how to strip the DVDs--I don't know how to do that. So I see the system as a way to save some time, if it's priced low enough.

Seems like it's the same as paying for a paper book to e-book conversion--I'd weigh the price of the service against the time it would take to do it myself.
This is the old and weak "I don't want to fish because it would take too much time to learn" excuse. Someone who has a need for this service and wants to process more than 1 or 2 DVDs can probably learn how within 15 minutes by using a google search as a starting point. This is less time than it would take to drive to the store (and better for the environment).
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
This is the old and weak "I don't want to fish because it would take too much time to learn" excuse. Someone who has a need for this service and wants to process more than 1 or 2 DVDs can probably learn how within 15 minutes by using a google search as a starting point. This is less time than it would take to drive to the store (and better for the environment).
Well, golly gee, I guess I'm just stupid then. Thanks so much for pointing that out.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
Isn't the choice to learn how to do something yourself or pay somebody else to do it for you purely a personal one?

I recently paid people to paint my house, despite the fact that I actually could do that myself. So what? That was my choice and I stand by it as valid.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #36
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
The "scandal" here isn't that they're providing this service for a fee, but that they are providing the service at all while saying doing it at home is illegal.
This.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I've already beat the movie studios. I no longer buy DVDs. I stream movies from Netflix and various free sites. If the movie I want isn't available at these sites, then I don't watch it and continue searching until I find one that is.

There is no such thing as a must watch video, must read book, or a must hear song. There are always other choices.

Monkey consumer 1; digital providers 0
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But it would be totally unnecessary service if not for the DRM that they themselves chose to use.

The only reason there isn't an incredibly easy-to-use DVD 'convert for iPod/iPad' option in iTunes is because of the DRM and the DMCA.
This is exactly the problem. DRM is holding back technological innovation and fair use. Imagine if CDs were copy protected and you couldn't rip them to play on mp3 players. How much longer would it have taken for ipods and mp3 players to take off?

You should be able to buy a DVD player or a DVR with a DVD drive that rips your DVDs for you and stores them on an internal HDD. Or itunes should be able to rip the video and put it into itunes (for you itunes people). Etc. It shouldn't take any tech saavy whatsoever (just like ripping CDs with itunes or other audio programs takes almost no effort).

But thanks to DRM and the DMCA we have none of the convenient, easy programs or devices that we have for music and for CDs.

Instead, you drive your car to a store where they will convert it to some DRM'd files that you can play on some devices. While insisting if you use software for the same task, it's illegal. That's brilliantly moronic.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-06-2012 at 05:21 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #39
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Instead, you drive your car to a store where they will convert it to some DRM'd files that you can play on some devices. While insisting if you use software for the same task, it's illegal. That's brilliantly moronic.
Its not moronic, its surprisingly capitalistic. After all, we're in a system where the only thing that matters is the C-level executives' greed, and how many politicians they can buy off to keep the masses down and ignorant.

Anyway, what they're doing is like that car company (Scion?) that put tamper sensors in their cars' engines so any "unauthorized" activity under the hood would make the car unable to start. Naturally, unauthorized activities include changing the oil and replacing the battery and plug wires- which are all things you're normally able to do in your driveway. Or how Windows 8 is likely to be non user serviceable; to install updates, the Check Computer light comes on and you have to pay $100 to Geek Squad for an OS ROM flash.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #40
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Its not moronic, its surprisingly capitalistic. After all, we're in a system where the only thing that matters is the C-level executives' greed, and how many politicians they can buy off to keep the masses down and ignorant.

Anyway, what they're doing is like that car company (Scion?) that put tamper sensors in their cars' engines so any "unauthorized" activity under the hood would make the car unable to start. Naturally, unauthorized activities include changing the oil and replacing the battery and plug wires- which are all things you're normally able to do in your driveway. Or how Windows 8 is likely to be non user serviceable; to install updates, the Check Computer light comes on and you have to pay $100 to Geek Squad for an OS ROM flash.
You also have to see the other side of the coin. We sell machinery and quite often the customers try to have some third rate hack repair the electronic control elements. They substitute parts with the wrong specs, or do a lot of other stupid things. After that doesn't work people come back to us and complain about problems they are having and expect us to take care of it. And unlike for consumer products you depend on repeat business and cannot just tell them "forget it, just buy a new one".

So I can at least feel some sympathy with some attempts to prevent "unauthorized" access for physical goods. It often means a lot of additional service costs that you cannot charge for.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #41
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You also have to see the other side of the coin. We sell machinery and quite often the customers try to have some third rate hack repair the electronic control elements. They substitute parts with the wrong specs, or do a lot of other stupid things. After that doesn't work people come back to us and complain about problems they are having and expect us to take care of it. And unlike for consumer products you depend on repeat business and cannot just tell them "forget it, just buy a new one".
When the warranty expires, do you multiply the cost of repair by three or five the way a car dealership does? And does that include doing work that a "third rate hack" can do successfully and reliably, like changing the oil?

Quote:
So I can at least feel some sympathy with some attempts to prevent "unauthorized" access for physical goods. It often means a lot of additional service costs that you cannot charge for.
Nope, still no sympathy.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've already beat the movie studios. I no longer buy DVDs. I stream movies from Netflix and various free sites. If the movie I want isn't available at these sites, then I don't watch it and continue searching until I find one that is.

There is no such thing as a must watch video, must read book, or a must hear song. There are always other choices.

I do the same thing, as I'm extraordinarily price sensitive.

Monkey/Bird Consumer 2; Digital Idiots 0
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Monkey/Bird Consumer 2; Digital Idiots 0
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #44
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post

Karma points headed your way for this post.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #45
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
While insisting if you use software for the same task, it's illegal. That's brilliantly moronic.
It's about companies wanting to seize control over what you do with a product after you buy it, wanting you to basically pay over and over again for the same thing. A bizarre form of planned obsolescence.

To me, modifying something you already own is no different than baking your own chocolate chip cookies instead of buying them from the store. If I am doing something myself, I don't need the service.

I own the thing, it's mine, the original seller can just buzz off.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote