Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #31
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Not actually, they don't have.
At the very fact have.
This is still a beta Firmware, which is working constantly, 1-2 days will be the last beta version, then goes official.

Links on the Firmware support DRM here (with a fully working vocabularies in PDF and EPUB):

Pocketbook 360
http://rapidshare.com/files/30933188..._de_191109.rar

Pocketbook 301+
http://rapidshare.com/files/30933296..._de_191109.rar

Last edited by Forkosigan; 11-21-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #32
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Evenn then, if res goes in factors of 8, then 10 (binary) would STILL be an error....
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unless you're counting in binary .
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #33
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Not actually, they don't have.
Yes, they do. I have a Pocketbook 360 and with the beta firmware it does support DRMed EPUB and PDF. I'm reading a couple library books I have checked out. The final release version will be issued shortly; for those who don't want to wait, the beta firmware is available on the Pocketbook forum. It is extremely stable; much more so than the final firmware for the Gen 3.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #34
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Beta firmware is not official firmware. Does Adobe certified theses firmware ? If not they are not allowed to sell or distribute it
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Our good friend Kurt, from BooksOnBoard, informs us that Bookeen appear to have snuck out a new model of the CyBook, apparently without telling anybody!

The new model, the CyBook Gold
Great. Just a few days ago I was wondering, because in some Spanish websites I saw a Cybook offered which said to support EPUB... I hope that means the firmware update is closer
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #36
WDecraene
Zealot
WDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enoughWDecraene will become famous soon enough

Device: A FREE (!!!) replacement cybook gen 3
Quote:
Such as what, for example? I did buy a Gen3 on the day that they were released, and I'm scratching my head trying to think of any bugs that were present then that were not fixed in one of the 3 or 4 firmware updates there have been since then. Can you name some?
Well, MY major issue with my gen 3 is: screen freezes. Happens unfortunately very regularly. I then lose my position in the book I'm reading which is verrry annoying.
WDecraene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:43 AM   #37
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Beta firmware is not official firmware. Does Adobe certified theses firmware ? If not they are not allowed to sell or distribute it
As far as I know, Pocketbook has submitted their FW to Adobe and is waiting for final approval. Wondering how they could test a beta if they're not allowed to distribute it!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #38
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Adobe has already given official permission to use the ADE in Pocketbook. Now certified additional functions Beta Firmware, which do not exist, or is there a lesser extent, those of competitors. For example the increase and the text and images in Reflow.

Pocketbook now has the right to sell their devices with ADE.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #39
tknterry
A Literate Human
tknterry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS-505
Why is it only 8 level greyscale? Current e-ink technology supports 16 levels. I do not get it. And it costs much more than the Kindle 2. Who is going to buy it?
tknterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #40
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Quote:
No, but I bet a lot of Kindle owners would happily pay $100 for folders. The Bookeen devices are one of the relatively few that actually have them.
Well, no. Only the Opus has it, so its not "devices" but "device". I don't think that the few lucky ones who could attend the meeting in Paris to have the update for their Gen3 counts.
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneb View Post
Well, no. Only the Opus has it, so its not "devices" but "device". I don't think that the few lucky ones who could attend the meeting in Paris to have the update for their Gen3 counts.
Sorry, you miss my point, which is that this new device has folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknterry View Post
Why is it only 8 level greyscale? Current e-ink technology supports 16 levels. I do not get it. And it costs much more than the Kindle 2. Who is going to buy it?
The number of grey scales depends on the controller not the screen, and Netronix are using an Epson controller for this device which supports 8 grey scales (it's the same controller used by many other devices, too). Current technology actually supports up to 32 grey scales - that's what the iRex DR1000 has.

Who would buy it? Perhaps someone who wants excellent ePub support. Bookeen seem to have pretty much the best ePub implementation around at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #43
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The number of grey scales depends on the controller not the screen, and Netronix are using an Epson controller for this device which supports 8 grey scales (it's the same controller used by many other devices, too).
The Epson can support 16 grey scales, e.g. in the Kindle 2 and the Nook. However, 8 grey scales is also a common choice for the Epson, e.g. the Sony PRS-600 and the Hanlin V5. The EB-600 is the low end of the Netronix line and I think part of the reason for 8 grey scales is cost (less memory for the display) and part is product differentiation. High end (and higher cost) devices will have 16 grey scales. Low cost and $350 devices don't go together, but the Gen3 has always used low-end hardware and charged a premium for its software.

Note that 8 grey scales is significantly better than 4 for images, but there may be diminishing returns going from 8 to 16 grey scales. With anti-aliasing, fonts can look washed out on a 16 grey scale EInk device - although this can be fixed by choosing less sensitive fonts (or using 4 grey scale anti-aliasing).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #44
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
What? Are they kidding. That's $100 more than a Nook, Kindle or EZ Reader, $50 more than a PRS-600. The Astak Mentor is $239. Isn't that basically the same device?
Guess the euro / dollars conversion is just as weird as the dollars / euro one.

Quote:
Who would buy it? Perhaps someone who wants excellent ePub support. Bookeen seem to have pretty much the best ePub implementation around at present.
It lacks hyphenation, and seams slower the the sony.

But, the trick to diminish the problem that is ade page number is nice
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #45
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
The number of grey scales depends on the controller not the screen, and Netronix are using an Epson controller for this device which supports 8 grey scales (it's the same controller used by many other devices, too). Current technology actually supports up to 32 grey scales - that's what the iRex DR1000 has.

By whose standards? I *have* a Cybook Gen3 and I do *NOT* have *ANY* ePub support - nor do I have the promised-for-more-than-a-year folder management support. Oh! Right! I have to shell out for a brand-new unit to get that!

Well, I still don't have decent folder management, nor do I have direct ePub support, but with my brand-spanking-new Kindle 2 I have a quality device that is simple to use and is worth having.

Of course, if I simply *must* have ePub support, I could always sell my older Gen3 and buy a Nook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote