Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Delete from SD card

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Yep. Went through the update process and it's still on 1.9.11... Annoying. Oh, well, as long as it didn't actually screw anything up, I'll be happy - 1.9.11's been great so far, except for being unable to delete content from the microSD card without hooking up to the computer and doing so via Calibre or the filesystem, of course.

EDIT: My microSD's a 4GB with nothing special about it. Only problem I have related to it is the one I just mentioned.
Since you mention being unable to delete from the SD card, I'd have to say I have the same situation.. I'm just resorting to removing the file manually by connecting directly to a computer or using a microSD card reader.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #32
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
My mistake.

Last edited by The Terminator; 10-13-2011 at 10:33 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've managed to get Desktop 2.1.3, and have watched as the 1.9.12 upgrade gets downloaded.

Upon disconnect, I am prompted to do the upgrade, and, when the upgrade finishes it shows the release notes from 1.9.11.

I get the same result if I do a WiFi based sync on the Touch itself.

Ideas?
YEAH.... I can now report that my WiFi based update worked; now running 1.9.12.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #34
Dave@Kobo
Dave@Kobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by register512 View Post
Well, so far 1.9.12 has turned out to be an absolute piece of crap for me. I've installed it twice, and had two completely separate sets of bad experiences with it.

The first time, I simply attached to Kobo Desktop, let it download the update, and added a few new books to my Touch. Then ejected, and let it do the upgrade. After that, I couldn't read more than about two pages in any book, because the Touch would suddenly show the "folded corner" in the upper right, and return to the home screen. Then I'd have to switch back to the book I was reading, and repeat the experience after one or two page turns. After 15 minutes of that, it was time for a factory reset and re-installation of 1.9.10.

The second time, I decided to break things into smaller steps, so I re-registered the Touch, re-installed 1.9.12, and then ejected and let updates happen. I then added a few books, and re-inserted my SD card. I started browsing my library, and everything seemed fine. However, if I put it aside for a few seconds, it completely locks up. It ignores all forms of tap or swipe, and presses of the home button. I have to slide the power switch, and let it sort itself out.

Therefore, I'm now back to 1.9.10, and everything is stable as it used to be.

I don't know if the problem is because of the SD card, although that didn't cause me any trouble in past releases. I keep the books I'm waiting to read on the main memory, and I store older books on the SD card. It's a 16GB card, so there's plenty of room to build my entire library onto it.

Under 1.9.10, I suffer from the "dead tap" problem, but I've gotten used to that. As well, my SD-based books don't always show up correctly on the home screen, but I have no problems accessing them from the Library list or the Shortlist, so I can take that as just a quirk of handling.

As a software developer, I have to say that it certainly doesn't seem like much QA was done on this release. I thought the new tunable-tap locations were a good thing, but they certainly seem to be a potential cause of the dead screen that I get.
Have you tried just side loading the content on the device's onboard and see if that works? I'd be curious if it's a problem with the case of reading a book on an SD card or with the content.
Dave@Kobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

SD problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
His "Problem" is that he can't delete books off his SD card.
Oh, sorry, thought his problem was that ebooks located on his SD card would allow 2-3 page turns before closing automatically.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xennex1170 View Post
Oh, sorry, thought his problem was that ebooks located on his SD card would allow 2-3 page turns before closing automatically.
That's the problem that's the showstopper for me, not the delete problem. Sorry I wasn't a little more clear on what I was complaining about! The delete problem is no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
It would be nice to know if there is some sort pf pattern or commonality for those instances in which it is a problem?
Good idea! I'm using a Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6 (Class 6) bought from NewEgg. Nothing odd on it as far as I know.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #37
Dave@Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by markemark View Post
That's the problem that's the showstopper for me, not the delete problem. Sorry I wasn't a little more clear on what I was complaining about! The delete problem is no big deal.

Good idea! I'm using a Transcend 8GB Micro SDHC Flash Card Model TS8GUSDHC6 (Class 6) bought from NewEgg. Nothing odd on it as far as I know.
Can you try my suggestion to register512?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #38
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Some of the new features only work on Kepub books. I downloaded a freebie to test it out. The features are fabulous on the Kobo book I downloaded. However, they don't work on my personal collection.

However, I do like how you can search now, by pressing on a word in a book - that feature works for all books! I also like the various ways you can change the "touch" settings for page turning. Nice job!

I am happy with the upgrade for what it's worth. But I hope the annotation/highlighting feature will eventually work for my Gutenberg e-books.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #39
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
YEAH.... I can now report that my WiFi based update worked; now running 1.9.12.
Same here. Whatever was wrong they fixed. Can't wait to start using annotations and checking out the new features!
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #40
register512
Kobo Touch User
register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.register512 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Actually I was having the "close after 2 or 3 turns" on a book that was loaded into the main storage. My SD card was installed, but not being used.

My card is a Patriot Memory Class 10 16GB. It works perfectly with 1.9.10, although I haven't tried to delete books from it by using the KT. I always manage everything from Calibre, and I typically just keep adding books, since the amount of storage I have will likely let me keep a copy of my entire library on the KT.
register512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #41
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Has anyone tried the different page turning options available now?

After spending almost 3 months wishing for a left handed turn I now find that I have successfully trained myself to do it the old way and with the new setting when I turn the page without thinking about it I turn it backwards! Aren't I clever!

I'm sure it won't take long to retrain my little brain but I wondered how others were going?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #42
Dave@Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by register512 View Post
Actually I was having the "close after 2 or 3 turns" on a book that was loaded into the main storage. My SD card was installed, but not being used.

My card is a Patriot Memory Class 10 16GB. It works perfectly with 1.9.10, although I haven't tried to delete books from it by using the KT. I always manage everything from Calibre, and I typically just keep adding books, since the amount of storage I have will likely let me keep a copy of my entire library on the KT.
Would you be willing to provide me a link to the book?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 PM   #43
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Kobo View Post
Can you try my suggestion to register512?
I tried your suggestion but no joy. I copied an epub (and not one already in the sd card's memory) to Kobo's main memory and it still kicked me back the home screen after about 4-5 taps.

Shut it down. Removed the sd card. Powered back up and didn't get kicked out.

Shut it down again. Reinserted the sd card. Powered back up and the problem is back again.

Edit: Also reinserted card while in a book. The KT immediately went back to the home screen (don't know if that's by design or not).

Last edited by markemark; 10-13-2011 at 10:03 PM.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #44
Dave@Kobo

Quote:
I tried your suggestion but no joy. I copied an epub (and not one already in the sd card's memory) to Kobo's main memory and it still kicked me back the home screen after about 4-5 taps.

Shut it down. Removed the sd card. Powered back up and didn't get kicked out.

Shut it down again. Reinserted the sd card. Powered back up and the problem is back again.
Have you experienced this with multiple books or does that only happen with that one book?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Has anyone tried the different page turning options available now?

After spending almost 3 months wishing for a left handed turn I now find that I have successfully trained myself to do it the old way and with the new setting when I turn the page without thinking about it I turn it backwards! Aren't I clever!

I'm sure it won't take long to retrain my little brain but I wondered how others were going?
I like the lefty option, though I am right handed.

Simply put, I have the Kobo Touch Bookstyle cover and I like holding the Kobo in my left hand, with the case folded over so the pockkets are on the back. My fingers slip in to the "slot" on the back, and my thumb rests on the Kobo's screen.

Now with the left-handed option, my thumb can easily turn the page.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote