Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #31
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Dunno if this has been posted yet, but this deserves discussion in the aftermath of the Borders meltdown:

http://www.northshire.com/blog/?p=4159

Some of the comments really laid into the Kindle lady, but I've been guilty of using B&M stores as showrooms too. In fact, I much prefer browsing in bookstores-but buying ebooks online. Anyway, discuss ( hoping to keep the discussion insult-and DRM-debate free).
This is an interesting topic. I have used physical bookstores like the lady in the OP but, since I only recently got into eBooks with the purchase of a Kobo, I would go home, go to Amazon.com and get the book for a less expensive price. One exception is books I really, really wanted right away, like Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard book and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I will wait for most other books until I can get an inexpensive, used copy off of Amazon marketplace.

Another exception is graphic novels. The prices on used graphic novels aren't as discounted for some reason as they are on regular books. And remember you have to add $3.99 to the price of any Amazon marketplace purchase. I don't mind spending a couple of more bucks to support a business that employs local people, etc. but I let my principles go when I can get a good condition used hardcover for $1 plus the $3.99 shipping.

All this has nothing to do with eBooks. I have been at the eBook thing for less than a month, so I can't say how it will affect my book-buying patterns. Come to think of it, I actually got my hardcover of Discovery of Witches and my last Locke & Key from Amazon.

Next time I buy a physical book or graphic novel, I'll make a point to go to the Local BAM, even if it costs a bit more. They've been there for over 15 years and I would hate to see them close. Plus, like I say, they employ local people and pay local taxes. Anyway, interesting topic.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #32
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess you don't have a problem with book shelf space like I do, covingtoncat. Have approxiamtly 2,000 dead wood books hanging about in the basement all over several book shelves. I had to go electronic out of necessity due to the space that the dead wood ones have been taking up.

You are right Richley, the big box book stores took over the music and movie market many years ago. Due the the technological shift away from big box stores as initated by Amazon and itunes I would imagine that all of the music will be downloaded in the near future rather then being bought at neighborhood stores.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I guess you don't have a problem with book shelf space like I do, covingtoncat. Have approxiamtly 2,000 dead wood books hanging about in the basement all over several book shelves. I had to go electronic out of necessity due to the space that the dead wood ones have been taking up.

You are right Richley, the big box book stores took over the music and movie market many years ago. Due the the technological shift away from big box stores as initated by Amazon and itunes I would imagine that all of the music will be downloaded in the near future rather then being bought at neighborhood stores.
Heh, well. I used to have that problem. Not to the extent of 2000, though. I've actually gotten rid of a lot of dead wood books over the last 7 years due to moves. Stuff I really, really like, I'm still going to want in dead wood format, if only so I can share them with friends/family. One way I got rid of some of my dead wood, other than Goodwill and the library, were by giving some to my cousin's family. I'm book buddies with her husband and the oldest girl is a big reader. They lost all their books in the Big K. Another is the used bookstore. I have swapped out paperbacks there. You get about 1/2 as many as you trade in, so it is a net loss of books.

The only stuff I'm currently collecting in dead wood is anything by Gaiman, Jasper Fforde, the Bill Willingham Fables graphic novels, Joe Hill's Locke & Key graphic novels, Justin Cronin's The Passage and any sequels, Deborah Harkness' Discovery of Witches and any sequels, and Kevin Hearne's Hounded and its sequels. Oh, I should add Lev Grossman's Magician King will be a dead wood purchase because I have The Magicians in that format and, if I feel a nonfiction I read is really important, I might get it in dead wood.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 04-08-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo, additions
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #34
Kiteology
Kiteology began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, PC, iTouch
Just as this forum's name does not have the word "book" in it, I question whether the "literature" store of the future will have what we now refer to as "books" in it as well. Don't get me wrong, horses did not disappear with the coming of the automobile and I suspect the same repositioning will occur with books. I don't think the question should be "What are book stores good for?" But rather "What will book stores evolve into?"
Kiteology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #35
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I used to use my bookstore (Borders is all we had) to check out new releases and browse books I wanted to look for at the library. I never used staff personnel to help me with those selections, I think that's pushing it.

I would buy non-fiction from Borders at times, but never fiction. I used the library for books I didn't feel the "need" to own.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #36
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
I still use it for alot of stuff. It's lightned abit tho. Like I still browse for books I wanna buy, or check out. Cos the book might not be at my library, or available in ebook version. HP for example. I also read there, and there's the coffee like others said. Then I like being among other geeks there. I don't hang there as much as I used to, but I won't stop until they're just all... gone.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #37
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Barnes and Noble seems pretty welcoming to e-books. You can go in there with your Nook and browse their e-book titles for free, up to an hour each I think.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #38
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I tried the used book store route some time ago, get so little for the books its was not worth the cost of the gas to get there. The basement of my home was turned into a library which is threatening to take over the whole foor. Had to go electronic out of necessity.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote