Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #31
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's one of Pocketbook's semi-hidden features, but it does exist
Settings - Context menu - Translation program
If you've already got the ColorDict app installed it will appear in the list for selection.

You also need to make sure 'Translate' is one of the visible items in your pop-up Context menu.
Settings - Context menu - Sort context menu items

Then, when you want to look up a word from a book: long-press the word and pick the 'Translate' icon from the pop-up context menu.
Oh my god... You are a lifesaver... Thank you!!

And I'm now rocking Adobe Garamond Pro on Pocketbook...
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424354142558.png
Views:	239
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	135026
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM   #32
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Perhaps someone can help me out with the frustrating book list on Pocketbook (PB). It uses the same file as CC, so it lists all the books I have on CC. Once I have read a book I'd like to remove it from PB. But if I do it will take it off of CC.

I tried making a directory just for PB, and CC adds it there, but if I run my finger too lightly down PB it loses all the books I have in it's directory. Other than physically copying a book to the PB directory (really a pita in Android), I don't know what to do.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #33
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Perhaps someone can help me out with the frustrating book list on Pocketbook (PB). It uses the same file as CC, so it lists all the books I have on CC. Once I have read a book I'd like to remove it from PB. But if I do it will take it off of CC.

I tried making a directory just for PB, and CC adds it there, but if I run my finger too lightly down PB it loses all the books I have in it's directory. Other than physically copying a book to the PB directory (really a pita in Android), I don't know what to do.
I'm the type of guy who likes to carry around his entire library so I don't really mind if Pocketbook and/or CC lists all of them.

But here is a solution that might work out for you. I wouldn't suggest opening Pocketbook on its own. Instead, use CC to browse your books. That's the main purpose of CC, to organize your library since CC does it better than any other app.

You can also create a dummy folder for Pocketbook so it won't add any books when you swipe down. (Again, just use CC to launch the books).

Question, though.

Why do you need to remove the books from Pocketbook?

It will depend on your needs. But since you already have CC installed, then you don't have to use your eReader app directly to open the books.

For me, Pocketbook and Moon+ are just there to read the books. I don't use them to organize my library.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #34
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
I, too, like to keep all my books in cc. However, I usually read 5-6 at a time, so I like them to be easily available in PB and don't want to have to remember which ones I've been working with. Sometimes I am trying new books and decide that I might want to read them later, but, there they are at the top of the PB list when I'd just like them to go away (PB shows only 5 books on one screen - maybe if there was a way to turn off the covers and just show the titles and authors). I just wanted to see if anyone had a work around.

Update: I just discovered how easy it is to mark just the ones I'm currently reading with the little heart and then remove the heart once done - gives me what I want by just looking at the favorites list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I'm the type of guy who likes to carry around his entire library so I don't really mind if Pocketbook and/or CC lists all of them.

But here is a solution that might work out for you. I wouldn't suggest opening Pocketbook on its own. Instead, use CC to browse your books. That's the main purpose of CC, to organize your library since CC does it better than any other app.

You can also create a dummy folder for Pocketbook so it won't add any books when you swipe down. (Again, just use CC to launch the books).

Question, though.

Why do you need to remove the books from Pocketbook?

It will depend on your needs. But since you already have CC installed, then you don't have to use your eReader app directly to open the books.

For me, Pocketbook and Moon+ are just there to read the books. I don't use them to organize my library.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:10 PM   #35
hleo12
Guru

Quote:
I, too, like to keep all my books in cc. However, I usually read 5-6 at a time, so I like them to be easily available in PB and don't want to have to remember which ones I've been working with. Sometimes I am trying new books and decide that I might want to read them later, but, there they are at the top of the PB list when I'd just like them to go away (PB shows only 5 books on one screen - maybe if there was a way to turn off the covers and just show the titles and authors). I just wanted to see if anyone had a work around.

Update: I just discovered how easy it is to mark just the ones I'm currently reading with the little heart and then remove the heart once done - gives me what I want by just looking at the favorites list!
Congrats!

It seems that PB is really shaping up to be a decent competition for Moon+, Aldiko, and Mantano. It even has Moon+ beat with DRM support.
Advert
Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 PM   #36
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
CC only needs Wi-Fi when you want to transfer books from your calibre library to your Android device, not when you're actually reading a book.

Quote:
You won't need your wifi to look at your books or read when using CC.

As mentioned above, you only need to be connected to a wifi network when you're transferring books from your computer using Calibre to your phone.

Once that's done, the books will be on your device and won't need wifi anymore.

Im just curious, what are doing doing when it is asking you to connect to a wifi network? 'Cause I haven't encountered that prompt while using CC.

Quote:
Just to clarify you won't need wifi to open books when using CC. Try the free version first.
One other time you would want to use wifi with CC is if you updated metadata in Calibre and want to see that metadata in CC. Then just connect wirelessly and metadata will be updated.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@peaceridge,
I use an alternative option to keep Pocketbook uncluttered.

Open Pocketbook (but don't open a book).
Open Menu (top right next to PB icon on my tablet) and select Settings.
Set Automatic scanning to OFF
Press 'Select folders to scan' and UNCHECK everything.

Then the only books PB knows about are those I open in PB via CC (or some other way).

Even if you don't do this, PB has 3 filters 'All Books', 'Recent Read' and 'Favorites'. Doesn't the middle one put your 5-6 ongoing books at the top?

ETA: D-uh! Although the above is true, it may only work for me because I delete books from the device as soon as I've read them

Last edited by jackie_w; 02-19-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Having a senior moment
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #38
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:

If you decide to go back to using CC to open, you can sort by date read. If you are in the Book Details page in CC you can also change the read date or clear it out if you open a book by mistake.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote