Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
"Home Alone" in UK.

Don't think I want to use up 2.8 - 4.7 GB of my iPad memory for that !
You don't have to download it to get it. Buy it for free and it'll be in Apple's cloud waiting for you to download (to your computer or idevice) anytime you want to watch it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 AM   #32
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
You don't have to download it to get it. Buy it for free and it'll be in Apple's cloud waiting for you to download (to your computer or idevice) anytime you want to watch it.
Well that would mean wasting my free iCloud space on it, then my iPad space on it whilst it is downloaded.
Plus I've seen it umpteen times already on television.

If it was something reasonably new that I hadn't seen maybe I would download it.

....actually on thinking about it, is there a way to download it to iTunes on my pc and store it there ?
Then when I want to view it, transfer it from there to my iPad.

What a shame it's not something I want to view !

Last edited by mXb; 01-01-2014 at 07:54 AM.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Day 7 for the US is an app - Rayman Jungle Run

Reading the reviews reveals a lot of dissatisfied customers. Evidently, there was a recent update that wiped out all progress and now wants money to unlock levels that had been previously unlocked.

What's with a paid app demanding money after the purchase in order to unlock levels? I thought paid apps came complete. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Sheesh... what a rip-off!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #34
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
Well that would mean wasting my free iCloud space on it, then my iPad space on it whilst it is downloaded.
Plus I've seen it umpteen times already on television.

If it was something reasonably new that I hadn't seen maybe I would download it.

....actually on thinking about it, is there a way to download it to iTunes on my pc and store it there ?
Then when I want to view it, transfer it from there to my iPad.

What a shame it's not something I want to view !
It doesn't use your free iCloud space. Yes, once you buy it you can download it via iTunes to your pc and then transfer it to your iPad, like any other purchase from the iTunes Store. Since you don't want to watch it, this is all moot.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #35
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Day 7 for the US is an app - Rayman Jungle Run

Reading the reviews reveals a lot of dissatisfied customers. Evidently, there was a recent update that wiped out all progress and now wants money to unlock levels that had been previously unlocked.

What's with a paid app demanding money after the purchase in order to unlock levels? I thought paid apps came complete. Am I wrong in that assumption?

Sheesh... what a rip-off!
Same here in France. And lots of angry comments too.

Why do they ask you to pay again for an app you already paid? Because the price you paid in the first place is simply not enough for the developer to make a living, never mind a profit in the case of a corporation. If they tried to sell the app at a reasonable price, they would fail because of the huge number of free or ridiculously low priced apps. So they do as everyone else does and sell at a ridiculous price with very limited functionalities (or levels in this case apparently), then sell you the rest as in app purchases.

The whole business model of the App Store is distorted and just plain wrong.

And I hate how autocorrect adds capital letters to App Store. It doesn't do that when I type android.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

In the Android store, Mantano has done something almost as bad. They now have a free version, a mid level pay version, and the full pay version. Apparently they keep taking away features from the free and mid level versions with new updates, forcing some to have to buy the full pay version. It might not be unethical, but it is a crappy way to treat their customers IMO. Plus if you want to use their cloud you have to pay for a separate subscription.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #37
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I had a Rayman game back when we first got the Wii. It was so dang frustrating, I will never buy anything with Rayman in the name ever again.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Lots and lots of paid apps are now offering in app purchases as well as having the initial cost.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Lots and lots of paid apps are now offering in app purchases as well as having the initial cost.
That's crazy! What a scam! It's a good thing the free apps satisfy me. Whenever the ads or in-app purchase pop-ups get to be too much, I delete the app and find another one.

It reminds me of that junk they sell on TV that costs $10 plus processing and handling ($7.95). Act now and they'll give you a free one; just pay more processing and handling ($7.95). By the time you're done, you've spent $26 for a $10 purchase. The scam lies in those processing fees.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #40
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Be careful how you download the App that has "In App Purchase".

I had trouble unlocking the extra bits when I paid for the in app purchase and Apple couldn't help nor the app developer.

It turned out that it was due to the fact that I downloaded the app to iTunes on my pc, then transferred it to my iPad and paid for the in app purchase from the iPad via it's wifi.
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #41
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Rayman Jungle Run is great. You don't NEED those In-App Purchases, but it's an option. I got it as a free app of the week from Starbucks last year.

I have never even seen it pop up to ask me if I want to purchase them.

The game is beautiful, way different than the other Rayman games, and quick paced.

I don't like IAP as much as anyone else, but I see no reason to complain about it. Especially when they're not in your face.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #42
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I don't like IAP as much as anyone else, but I see no reason to complain about it. Especially when they're not in your face.
The people who are complaining say that they lost their progress with the latest update, and that the app offers to pay for levels they have already passed. That seems a good reason to complain to me... Did you install the latest upgrade?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #43
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

And today's gift in France is a mini album by Stromae, which will give me an opportunity to sample his work. He is a big success here I understand. All three songs are remixes though (two of them based on the same original song).
Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
And today's gift in France is a mini album by Stromae, which will give me an opportunity to sample his work. He is a big success here I understand. All three songs are remixes though (two of them based on the same original song).
Here in 'merica, we get some good ole southern boys - Kings of Leon

Ain't never heard of 'em; till now
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #45
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I like Kings of Leon, so that was a nice one. Grabbed it, but haven't listened yet.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote