Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #31
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Geraldine Brooks, The March. People of the Book was also a great read.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #32
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There are a couple of books that I put on the masterpiece list that may not quite get to school text lists. I'm wondering if others agree:

Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Bel Canto - Ann Patchett
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon

The reason I haven't included them, is that I wasn't sure what teachers would get out of the books to teach other than that they are brilliant.
I don't believe Martel or Haddon could be classed as masterpieces, personally, though both are excellent (if simple) reads. But maybe as I get older I am too demanding, and rarely come across a modern book I would class as classic material.

Haven't read Patchett, so I can't comment on that.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #33
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
I think Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell will definately be a classic, but that's one of only a small handful of books written since 1960 or so that should be.

I don't know if you consider 1960 to be contemporary or not, but if so, another that comes to mind is A Canticle For Liebowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr.

Before 1960 I'd have to go back another decade or so to some of CS Lewis' books, most of which are already classics.

Another possibility for something more contemporary might be Orson Scott Card's Ender Quartet.

Last edited by Ransom; 06-13-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #34
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Haven't read Patchett, so I can't comment on that.
I haven't read any of her other books, but if you ever have a copy of Bel Canto lying around, do yourself a favour and give it a read. I loved this book.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I haven't read any of her other books, but if you ever have a copy of Bel Canto lying around, do yourself a favour and give it a read. I loved this book.
Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough, I do have a copy, but have never been tempted to read it before.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #36
Joonbug1
Groupie
Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joonbug1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bill Watterson - Calvin & Hobbes Collection
Joonbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:17 AM   #37
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
I second that. Bel Canto was an excellent read. I don't know that I'd say it will be a modern classic, but it is well worth the time to sit down with it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #38
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I've always wished people would take note of some of John le Carré's novels, other than simply The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. He's written some great stuff, especially for anyone interested in the literature of the Cold War. A Perfect Spy gets my vote has his magnum opus. Pretty much anything he wrote from the mid-70s to the late-80s is brilliant. He's actually a very good stylist.
I've read all John Le Carre's novels. The one I like most is Absolute Friends. IMO, his masterpiece.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Jacqueline Susann
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #40
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Richard was talking to me last night and told me that his books 'In Watermelon Sugar' and 'Trout Fishing In America' really needed to be added to this list.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #41
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I've always wished people would take note of some of John le Carré's novels, other than simply The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. He's written some great stuff, especially for anyone interested in the literature of the Cold War. A Perfect Spy gets my vote has his magnum opus. Pretty much anything he wrote from the mid-70s to the late-80s is brilliant. He's actually a very good stylist.
"The Little Drummer Girl" (I think it was called). An absolute masterpiece.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:05 AM   #42
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
"The Little Drummer Girl" (I think it was called). An absolute masterpiece.
Yep, a great read; one of his best. I like how he handled the training in the first half of the book. If he hadn't done it that way, it would have been extremely dry. I haven't seen another author use that technique.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote