Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 AM   #31
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
!!!!?!!!

I had no idea. But I'm waiting to start collecting graphic novels until they are made into ebooks and sold on color ebook readers. Like a mirasol or pixel qi device. Shouldn't have to wait more than a year or two, I hope.
I hope you can pony up the cash... I don't think those will be cheap at all. Are there any flagship graphic novels which are already digitalised?

Last edited by Logseman; 02-21-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I thought The Killing Joke by Alan Moore was killer! The Joker was never more twisted and menacing.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-21-2010 at 05:53 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #33
kad032000
Connoisseur
kad032000 doesn't litterkad032000 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Watchmen is, of course, a classic. Absolutely brilliant, as is so much of Alan Moore's work.

I don't know why your age would keep you from appreciating it. I was born in '86 but really all it takes is knowledge of the historical context.
I can only compare Watchmen to other graphic novels I have read.

Everything I've read/heard about Watchmen has given me the impression that what makes it brilliant is that it did things no other graphic novel had done by that time. I didn't read it until a year or two ago, and by then I had read so many graphic novels that had done so much more than Watchmen that I just didn't find it comparably impressive.
kad032000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
kad032000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Favorites released last year
Asterios polyp by David Mazzucchelli
Parker The Hunter by Darwyn Cook
I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't get into Asterios Polyp.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #35
kad032000
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Buffy season 8
Angel season 6
the 3 books between Firefly and Serenity
My sister reads the Buffy series. Do you need knowledge of the TV Series to appreciate it?
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #36
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
The walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore.
Depressing post zombie apocalypse - lots of content to keep you going for a long while - think it's supposed to be serialised on American TV sometime.
The Boys by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.
A new spin on the old 'who watches the watchmen' superhero romp.
Kick Ass by Mark Millar and John Romita JR.
'Normal' masked vigilante heroes - film version to be released soon.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #37
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Wanted
30 Days of Night
Walking Dead
Does anyone remenber Epic magazine? It was kind of the like Heavy Metal but less sex and more fantasy.

Last edited by Billjr13; 02-22-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM   #38
bilalamjad3
bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
my favorite first kingdom novel.
bilalamjad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #39
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Maus is simply groundbreaking. I bought it because I had the notion that antropomorphic animals and WWII could make a good mixture, but I didn't even know what it was about. When I read it I finished stunned, it's absolutely fantastic, how Spiegelman manages to squeeze out his own past, his own life and the one of his father, spoof his prior work, describe with detail but without being weary the life in the concentration camps, warm the coldest of hearts with the story of his parents' love... it's just pure bliss. It has its Pulitzer very well deserved.
That sounds interesting. I may have to check it out. I've never read graphic novels (*ouch* don't hit me... there is always a first time for everything.)

An author on MR put up his her episodes already formatted for our devices - loads already set up to be viewed in landscape. (Valentine: Supernatural Thriller graphic novel in 13 languages)

Alex de Campi (alexdecampi on MR) Author's website -
graphic novel series in multiple languages!
<Des BD traduites dans différentes langues pour Iphone, Android, E-reader et Kindle>

Is this the same type of graphic novels you are all talking about? **Be nice, I'm a newbie to this.**

Last edited by dreams; 04-07-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: oops his to her
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #40
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
The walking Dead by Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore.
Depressing post zombie apocalypse - lots of content to keep you going for a long while - think it's supposed to be serialised on American TV sometime.
I heard AMC is putting together a pilot for it.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #41
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Wanted
30 Days of Night
Walking Dead
Does anyone remenber Epic magazine? It was kind of the like Heavy Metal but less sex and more fantasy.
I read Epic before I ever heard of Heavy Metal, and I was deeply saddened when it ended.

In ongoing webcomics (which is being turned into graphic novels) one of my current favorites is Freakangels by Warren Ellis. My other fave in this form is Shadowgirls.

I really love Planetary, but I only have the 1st 3 of those in tpb. Mouseguard is simply jaw-droppingly incredible.

Fray was also a really fun read.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:53 PM   #42
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
My sister reads the Buffy series. Do you need knowledge of the TV Series to appreciate it?
I think so. There is a good reason why I referred to them as seasons, not as standalone novels.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #43
alexdecampi
alexdecampi doesn't litteralexdecampi doesn't litter

Device: none
(psst - dreams - I'm a "she" not a "he")

- Alex de Campi, creator of Valentine
alexdecampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #44
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad032000 View Post
No-- you need knowledge of the TV series to hate it. Buffy the TV series had very clever writing and dialogue. The comic Buffy Season 8 is just plain crap. You can see how hard it tries to sound like the characters from the series (except when it veers the characters into whole new directions that are both insulting to the character of the character and to the intelligence of the reader, like Buffy's new Special Friend, and Zander's Old Buddy) but really is just a weak imitation. It is bad fanfiction.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #45
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdecampi View Post
(psst - dreams - I'm a "she" not a "he")

- Alex de Campi, creator of Valentine
Oops, fixed it -.-
Quote:
An author on MR put up his her episodes already formatted for our devices - loads already set up to be viewed in landscape. (Valentine: Supernatural Thriller graphic novel in 13 languages)

Alex de Campi (alexdecampi on MR) Author's website -
graphic novel series in multiple languages!
<Des BD traduites dans différentes langues pour Iphone, Android, E-reader et Kindle>

Is this the same type of graphic novels you are all talking about? **Be nice, I'm a newbie to this.**
I wonder how it looks on the iPad?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote