Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
This is one reason I am interested in the 800. For the first time, an irex reader will use standard USB to charge...which means that in an emergency (like in a plane halfway over the atlantic) if the reader battery goes dead, I can use one of the USB battery rechargers I carry around for my other gadgets.
Erm... the DR1000 charged from USB.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #32
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
really? I didn't realize that. But I'll still wait for the 800, that screen size seems ideal to me, a nice balance between large enough to actually *read* on and small enough to fit in my purse.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
With PDF reflow and ePub zooming, a 5" screen is large enough to read on.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #34
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
really? I didn't realize that. But I'll still wait for the 800, that screen size seems ideal to me, a nice balance between large enough to actually *read* on and small enough to fit in my purse.
The screen size is perfect for a "good for everything" compromise. I read a lot in bed before sleep, and holding up a DR1000 or a Kindle DX or the proposed QUE would be torture. I'm still waiting for word on the DR800. Doesn't look like Santa will be putting it under the tree though. Oh well, I wasn't going to put up a tree this year anyway.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #35
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
My only disappointment was Irex's early abandonment of product support.
Not sure I'd really put it that way. The iLiad came out in 2006, right? Any other companies still supporting their 2006 model?

Quote:
And why NO WORD at all from IRex?
I agree with you there. It would be REALLY nice to get an update from them. I've tried contacting the people there that I know, but haven't heard anything back yet. Didn't you mention in other threads on here that you've had email exchanges with iRex management before? Have you tried asking them for any information?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
After having owned the iLiad and the larger device for a short period of time the way I would recommend approaching an iRex purchase is to ignore any reference to future enhancements. If it doesn't have the features you want either choose another device or wait until they have added the features.
That's the advice I like to give, regardless of what company we're talking about. Make decisions based on what it will be capable of at the time you purchase it. If you are relying on future promises for what you consider to be required features, then it's a good idea to wait. No matter what company, plans can change and those "promises" may never happen.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
The biggest thing with iRex that seems consisted from model to model to model is that they haven't got a bloody clue when it comes to batteries and power saving. The DR would have irked a lot of people, but fared a lot better IF they'd issued it with a user replaceable battery. People would have stocked up on relatively inexpensive spares and battled on.
What he said!

The one thing that I find encouraging about the DR800 is that it does have a replaceable battery. Whether that means keeping a spare on hand, or else (like they do with PDAs and phones) somebody down the road will likely come out with an "extended" battery that fits the device. Kind of like what users have come up with for putting larger batteries into the iLiad, but it should be a lot simpler on the DR800 because of the built in access.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #38
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
With PDF reflow and ePub zooming, a 5" screen is large enough to read on.
Well, yes and no. If you are a very fast reader, like I am, a small screen has you spending more time waiting for page turns than you spend reading. This can get a bit annoying. It's a tradeoff between portability and usability...and I hate seeing readers that sacrifice screen size to put in buttons and keyboards.

The irex 800 looks like it has a decent size screen and very little wasted space, which is very appealing to me.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #39
jboardman
Zealot

I am a fast reader also. The 8.1" screen seems to be the perfect size/weight ratio.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #40
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Not sure I'd really put it that way. The iLiad came out in 2006, right? Any other companies still supporting their 2006 model?
Sony is still supporting the PRS500.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #41
jboardman
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
They did.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #42
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I am a fast reader also. The 8.1" screen seems to be the perfect size/weight ratio.
That's the allure to me for the iRex and why I was so interested in it. But the more that is reported (or not reported) about iRex, the more uncomfortable I am with the idea of buying an iRex device. So now I'll take a look at replacing my 505 (well, handing it down to my wife who would like it as it still works flawlessly after 2 -- or is it 3? -- years) with the 900. I would have gone for the 600 but I really want a device that will let me change my New York Times subscription from p to e but give me the same paper, letting me download it wirelessly at breakfast.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #43
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore
They did.
The difference is that Sony is offering an ePub upgrade to the PRS500, a product they stopped selling in 2007 and IREX has long stopped offering upgrades to the iliad, a product they still sell as new.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
steffi
Enthusiast
steffi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Are we expecting this in December still? It's still probably better than the Que for what I'm looking for.
steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
mdibella
Groupie

iRex has been responding to this question with deafening silence...