Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #31
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour. Not a Western but set in the 13Th century Europe and Middle East. I think it is his best book and still do even after reading it numerous times.
Apache
Sounds like a great read definitely will add this to my library.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Well, I recently read The Crimes of Jordan Wise by Bill Pronzini. It is a rather noir tale of embezzlement, lust, and murder. The Cohen brothers should make the movie.

If you want humor, I second the Carl Hiaasen reccomendation. Any of his, really.

Oh, Medicus by Ruth Downie is a book I recently purchased as a pbook at a secondhand bookstore. I haven't read it yet but it looks good and the Kindle edition is $7.19, which isn't bad.

From Publishers Weekly
The salacious underside of Roman-occupied Britain comes to life in Britisher Downie's debut. Gaius Petrius Ruso, a military medicus (or doctor), transfers to the 20th Legion in the remote Britannia port of Deva (now Chester) to start over after a ruinous divorce and his father's death. Things go downhill from there. His quarters are filthy and vermin-filled, and his superior at the hospital is a petty tyrant. Gaius rescues and buys an injured slave girl, Tilla, from her abusive master, but she refuses to talk, can't cook and costs more to keep than he can afford. Meanwhile, young women from the local bordello keep turning up dead, and nobody is interested in investigating. Gaius becomes a reluctant detective, but his sleuthing threatens to get him killed and leaves him scant time to work on the first-aid guide he's writing to help salvage his finances. Tilla plots her escape as she recovers from her injuries, and just when Ruso becomes attached to her, she runs away, complicating his personal life and his investigation. Downie's auspicious debut sparkles with beguiling characters and a vividly imagined evocation of a hazy frontier. (Mar.)
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #33
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Blindness by Jose Saramago. Then try Seeing, also by Mr. Saramago. Best books I have read in a long, long time.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 AM   #34
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I was thrilled with Maria Dahvana Headley's Queen of Kings
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post

Looking for some amazing reads, any suggestions?

Please NO sci-fi or fantasy.

Thanks in advance.
Well then....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Road - Cormac McCarthy (or anything else by him)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #37
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How about something by John Irving. I'd start with A Prayer for Owen Meany, or The Cider House Rules, or A Son of the Circus.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How about something by John Irving. I'd start with A Prayer for Owen Meany, or The Cider House Rules, or A Son of the Circus.
Excellent suggestion! Also his new one (though I wouldn't call it "Amazing" it is excellent) - "Last Night in Twisted River"

Which makes me think of E. L. Doctorow - 'Homer & Langley'
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5324182.shtml
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #39
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One of the best reads I read last year was The Gifts by Linda Prather.

http://www.amazon.com/Gifts-Jacody-M...6201214&sr=1-1
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #40
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The Road - Cormac McCarthy (or anything else by him)
A bit of warning here.
Some people, including myself, find the book extremely ... disturbing. I know, I know, ... a good book definitely shouldn't leave you indifferent, but The Road was a bit too much for me - to put it very diplomatically. When I read a book I want to be entertained and amazed. I do not want to feel "emotionally shattered" (a very fitting description, IMHO, shamelessly stolen from a review on Goodreads).
Perhaps you should read some positive *and* negative reviews first.

Many of the books suggested in this thread do not appeal to me, and I guess, that you wouldn't like books that I personally find amazing.

It might be a good idea to go to Goodreads site, register AND fill in your rating for the books you like and dislike. Then you can use their recommendation system, or you can read books that other people (that like the same books as you) rated high.

Last edited by kacir; 01-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
A bit of warning here.
Some people, including myself, find the book extremely ... disturbing. I know, I know, ... a good book definitely shouldn't leave you indifferent, but The Road was a bit too much for me - to put it very diplomatically. When I read a book I want to be entertained and amazed. I do not want to feel "emotionally shattered" (a very fitting description, IMHO, shamelessly stolen from a review on Goodreads).

Many of the books suggested in this thread do not appeal to me, and I guess, that you wouldn't like books that I personally find amazing.

It might be a good idea to go to Goodreads site, register AND fill in your rating for the books you like and dislike. Then you can use their recommendation system, or you can read books that other people (that like the same books as you) rated high.

Well since you now veered off topic..... WARNING! WARNING! Some people find The Road full of hope.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Wouldn't you classify "The Road" as SF, though?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #43
kennyc

No more so than many other similar books. There is nothing in the book that makes it science fiction in the traditional sense.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd classify it as SF because of its post apocalyptic setting, just as I would Neville Shute's "On the Beach".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #45
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
A bit of warning here.

Thanks for the warning about The Road. My husband watched the movie and was telling me what is was about when I was skimming over channels. I couldn't even listen to his entire description as it was so disturbing. I can't read anything where children (even fictional) suffer.

I had completely forgotten about Goodreads. I am a member there but have never explored all of what they have to offer.

To everyone who has offered suggestions: Thanks, there are some of these on my TBR list now.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote