Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
And would probably explain why the problem is hard to find.
Developers rarely use Special Offers enabled devices for development and testing.

Also, I suspect geekmaster's speculation that the internal control variables moved or changed format between PW-3 firmware versions (maybe in preparation for the White PW-3 release).

Hmm...
We probably need a "White PW-3" factory initial update image (I already have a place in the "credits" for that person).
Ah, so, the light dawns.

These 'Recovery' format packages are not signed.
Their components are signed, but the overall package is not.

If we find a 'general purpose' (handles all internal data formats) kernel/initramfs image (I.E: u-image) -
We can re-package the 'Recovery' format packages with our choice of (Amazon signed) components.

Problem solved if so (or as Branch Delay liked to say: "Game Over").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #32
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... If we find a 'general purpose' (handles all internal data formats) kernel/initramfs image (I.E: u-image) -
We can re-package the 'Recovery' format packages with our choice of (Amazon signed) components. ...
Or at least we make some special-case packages with model-specific kernel/initramfs (borrowed from compatible update packages), if a 'general purpose' version is not available.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Or at least we make some special-case packages with model-specific kernel/initramfs (borrowed from compatible update packages), if a 'general purpose' version is not available.
Ah -
Maybe supply the initial factory 'recovery' package with the u-image file from the most recent, per model, release?
Hoping it would be backward compatible.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #34
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
... Hoping it would be backward compatible.
Testing will reveal that.

I wish I had more time to work on this. My insurance company claims they do not cover any new treatments that are known to be effective, nor even have any "in network" renal oncologists (who specialize in the type of cancer that took up residence in my bones). I have to research and fight doctors and insurance companies every step of the way, in a battle of life and death (just to get an average four extra months of life HOPEFULLY before my hip breaks from degeneration).

Y'all please learn from my experience, and DO NOT take tylenol and ibuprofen at the same time (you must alternate them to prevent kidney cancer). Tell those you love to avoid taking them together too, and why. I hope to make a lasting difference in this world, and if that is preventing a few cases of cancer here and there, that will make me happy.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-07-2016 at 12:59 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:56 PM   #35
paspas
Enthusiast
paspas began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
First six characters of serial number:G090G1
Firmware version before you started this procedure:5.7.4 i believe

Feature related:
Was this Kindle registered with Amazon? yes
Was this an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? no
Was a passcode set? no

Special sub-steps:
Did you clear the passcode before the downgrade? yes
Did you do the 'Reset (to factory results)' sub-step? yes

Internal data related:
Using the Kindle's Cloud Account or local or both? local
Where you using collections? yes
Where you using bookmarks? yes
Where you using annotations? yes
Native language in use: spanish

Kindle Hung:
What is the filename of factory initial update that was used? update_PW3_5.6.1.1_initial.bin
Which mirror did you get it from?http://www.mediafire.com

Approximately how long did the downgrade process run? 10 minutes
What was showing on the screen when it 'hung'? loop with bar progress several times

When the USB cable was connected, Kindle to PC, could you see the storage on the Kindle? yes
What sort of response did your PC make when you plugged in the Kindle?I was able to access the drive
Did using a USB-2 vs a USB-3 port on the PC make a difference? no
Was this same cable and same port working normally before the downgrade? yes

Normally, a Kindle is re-booted without any USB cable connected.
Leave the USB cable connected, Kindle-to-PC, re-boot Kindle (hold power button 40 seconds or more, ignore any pop-up panels seen).
What was the result? Same as above or Different (describe please).Same if I attempt to reboot with or without USB connected

What OS and OS version in use on your PC: ubuntu 14.04
USB-2 or USB-3 ports, or both? both

Recovery:
If your PC could 'see' the Kindle storage (even briefly) try putting a file named:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
(all caps, no extension, no contents)
into the top level of visible USB storage.
Then use the power button to re-boot the Kindle
describe the result here: I've the same answer, loop in progress bar and need to repair code: 2

Does the 'hung' Kindle boot far enough to show the main screen, can you access the search bar? no

If i delete system a document folder, will it help?

Thanks for you help.
paspas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #36
knc1
Going Viral

Recovery section of trouble report form updated.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:01 PM   #37
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paspas View Post
- - - -
If i delete system a document folder, will it help?

Thanks for you help.
No.

See just edited recovery section of trouble report form.

Last edited by knc1; 07-07-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #38
paspas
Enthusiast

i've download firmware 5.8.1. put it on my kindle an after reset it works again. No jailbreak

Thank you
Old 07-07-2016, 02:15 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by paspas View Post
i've download firmware 5.8.1. put it on my kindle an after reset it works again. No jailbreak

Thank you
Just hang in here, you can jail break once the problem is solved.
It should not be long (as in, later today).
Old 07-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #40
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Tallied results from the first three reports
Spoiler:
First six characters of serial number: same
Firmware version before you started this procedure:
5.7.4 5.8.1 5.8.1
Feature related:
Was this Kindle registered with Amazon? yes,
Was this an ad supported (Special Offers) Kindle? yes,
Was a passcode set? no

Special sub-steps:
Did you clear the passcode before the downgrade? yes,
Did you do the 'Reset (to factory results)' sub-step? yes,

Internal data related:
Using the Kindle's Cloud Account or local or both? cloud, both
Where you using collections? no,
Where you using bookmarks? Different responses
Where you using annotations? no
Native language in use: English

Kindle Hung:
What is the filename of factory initial update that was used? Same
Which mirror did you get it from? Different

Approximately how long did the downgrade process run? (best guess) different times
What was showing on the screen when it 'hung'?
Different screens
When the USB cable was connected, Kindle to PC, could you see the storage on the Kindle? Different responses
What sort of response did your PC make when you plugged in the Kindle?
Did using a USB-2 vs a USB-3 port on the PC make a difference? no
Was this same cable and same port working normally before the downgrade? yes,

Normally, a Kindle is re-booted without any USB cable connected.
Leave the USB cable connected, Kindle-to-PC, re-boot Kindle (hold power button 40 seconds or more, ignore any pop-up panels seen).
What was the result? Same as above or Different (describe please).
Different responses

What OS and OS version in use on your PC: different OS 2 win 10 one mac
USB-2 or USB-3 ports, or both? Unknown

Recovery:
If your PC could 'see' the Kindle storage (even briefly) try putting a file named:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
(all caps, no extension, no contents)
into the top level of visible USB storage.
Then use the power button to re-boot the Kindle
If that didn't fix it, or the search bar command for the jb does not work -
re-install the factory initial firmware package again (to fix things the flag file function broke).
describe the result here:
Different results.

Does the 'hung' Kindle boot far enough to show the main screen, can you access the search bar?* no

same download, all special offers, no search bar
Different starting firmwares. Different download places. 2 different OS.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 03:59 PM   #41
paspas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Just hang in here, you can jail break once the problem is solved.
It should not be long (as in, later today).
Sure, it is not urgent

Thank you very much for everything!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #42
bloodien0se
bloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hey Guys,

Been away for the past day and a half or so. I've noticed a lot of work has gone into the guide and main thread, but haven't seen if there's been any suggestion for the issue that jprince and I have landed on where we are stuck in error code 2/boot loop without ability to access storage after the first DO_FACTORY_RESTORE attempt.

If there's any ideas on how to fix without resorting to serial port at this point, let me know.
bloodien0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #43
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodien0se View Post
Hey Guys,

Been away for the past day and a half or so. I've noticed a lot of work has gone into the guide and main thread, but haven't seen if there's been any suggestion for the issue that jprince and I have landed on where we are stuck in error code 2/boot loop without ability to access storage after the first DO_FACTORY_RESTORE attempt.

If there's any ideas on how to fix without resorting to serial port at this point, let me know.
Do the downgrade again.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #44
bloodien0se
bloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfoldedbloodien0se reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Do the downgrade again.
Forgive me, but how do you perform the downgrade without access to USB storage or the home screen?
bloodien0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:24 PM   #45
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@bloodien0se: Could you recap exactly what steps you took for me, please?

With a few extra questions: which FW version you started from, which PW3 variant that is (check the S/N wiki), and how much free space you had on your device?

I'll have to double-check, but I think error 2 is the fairly straightforward "something went wrong" one, which either means something stupid or something very bad hw-wise .

EDIT: Yep, that's the basic "woopsie" error, which (I guess) means something really failed to flash at one point, which is never good in these circumstances...

I'll add to my initial questions: how well charged was it? But the updater should already take care of not trying anything on too low a charge...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-08-2016 at 04:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downgrade, hung kindle, jailbreak