Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM   #31
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I think the problem is buying on the weekend. I bought the gift card last weekend on Friday night, and my account showed that it couldn't be processed. I was all set to call and complain on Monday, when, lo and behold, it showed up Monday morning. Same thing happened last year with this promotion.

But I have had no problem with BN gift cards that I purchased on nonweekends, even going through Ebates.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I think the problem is buying on the weekend. I bought the gift card last weekend on Friday night, and my account showed that it couldn't be processed. I was all set to call and complain on Monday, when, lo and behold, it showed up Monday morning. Same thing happened last year with this promotion.

But I have had no problem with BN gift cards that I purchased on nonweekends, even going through Ebates.
Thanks for the feedback. Happy to report I received my GC yesterday afternoon without needing to call B&N. I reckon you're right and the issue with the delay is probably because it's the weekend.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This applies to people who shop at B&N on a regular basis. If you don't, then these are false savings.

Nook Tablet = $249 - $25 - $10 = $214

* discount is limited to one new device per new or renewal Membership term only.
^ using the $100 gift card for the Nook purchase and applying the eGift Card to a future purchase.
Note that the Member discount won't work for any current member or existing member who used the previous discount on another device. Instead, you have to wait until your current term renews (or join again with a new name, which costs $25). B&N updated their web site and has quit claiming you get it for $25 less.

On the other hand, you can buy three gift cards for $100 each, pay for the device and then the extra $30 on hand with what is left after taxes from the $300.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #34
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
B&N added this statement recently.

Quote:
Note: Benefits apply to new membership enrollment June 6th, 2011 and later.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Note that the Member discount won't work for any current member or existing member who used the previous discount on another device. Instead, you have to wait until your current term renews (or join again with a new name, which costs $25). B&N updated their web site and has quit claiming you get it for $25 less.
Yep, that's what the fine print says.

Quote:
On the other hand, you can buy three gift cards for $100 each, pay for the device and then the extra $30 on hand with what is left after taxes from the $300.
The fine print also says one GC per customer:

Quote:
BN.com: Earn a Free $10.00 Barnes & Noble eGift Card with purchase of $100.00 worth of Gift Cards and/or Barnes & Noble eGift Cards at Barnes & Noble.com. This offer is valid on purchases of Gift Cards and/or eGift Cards totaling $100.00 in value in a single transaction only at Barnes & Noble.com. This offer is also valid on purchases of customized Barnes & Noble Gift Cards totaling $100.00 in value in a single transaction initiated through links on Barnes & Noble.com and processed and fulfilled by Cardways.com. This offer can be redeemed once per customer and per billing address.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #36
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The fine print also says one GC per customer:
Possibly at ebates. Not in store!

Or at least, not my my store.... They just changed the $10 amount on the added gc to $30 (confirmed via a printout of the balance).
Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Or at least, not my my store.... They just changed the $10 amount on the added gc to $30 (confirmed via a printout of the balance).
That's cool. It makes the deal even sweeter.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #38
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:

The fine print wasn't on ebates, it was on B&N's website. Hmm, so you got the bonus $10 (x3) gift certificate right away? Wonder if I should give the local B&N a visit to buy some more gift certificates. Recently joined a bigger library which has a lot more than the 250 ebooks my other library had so I'm well under my ebook spending for this year (can't say the same for readers/devices).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #39
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
The fine print wasn't on ebates, it was on B&N's website. Hmm, so you got the bonus $10 (x3) gift certificate right away? Wonder if I should give the local B&N a visit to buy some more gift certificates. Recently joined a bigger library which has a lot more than the 250 ebooks my other library had so I'm well under my ebook spending for this year (can't say the same for readers/devices).
Yes, got the card right away. First thing I asked was if you bought three g/c @100 each, did you get $30 in bonus and the gal said yes. They have $10 bonus cards sitting there in a stack, but she did an override on the amount when running up the purchase.

Of course, it's only a great deal if you spend money there anyway (I do, even if it's mostly coffee and magazines). What's left of the main g/c can probably go for ebooks.

I did buy a "new" B&N membership (with the g/c, but then got the same $25 off the tablet), essentially at no charge. That gave be a bit over 6 more months of discounts there.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Yes, got the card right away. First thing I asked was if you bought three g/c @100 each, did you get $30 in bonus and the gal said yes. They have $10 bonus cards sitting there in a stack, but she did an override on the amount when running up the purchase.

Of course, it's only a great deal if you spend money there anyway (I do, even if it's mostly coffee and magazines). What's left of the main g/c can probably go for ebooks.

I did buy a "new" B&N membership (with the g/c, but then got the same $25 off the tablet), essentially at no charge. That gave be a bit over 6 more months of discounts there.
Did you do Ebates (or something similar)?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Did you do Ebates (or something similar)?
No, I've never joined ebates (no patience, I guess); I don't do any of the bing promos either (and wonder what percentage really gets paid on some of these).

I just walked into the store and bought three gift cards, got the $30 bonus. I could have then walked out, but I did buy the tablet (and the membership) - taxes are 10% here, which leaves a bit over $60 on the gift cards.

The browser, btw, keeps offering to open things in new windows, but apparently has only one. I may have to give in an root or dual boot this one, as it is so much more limited than the Fire or the Asus tablet I'm trying to compare it to.

If you want to edit a blog post on blogger, though, none work well (unless you have very, very simple needs -- including not highlighting something to do a link) and you are better off with the iPad (w/ a keyboard) or a netbook.

Netflix is about the same on the Fire and Tablet. Reading is about the same (except the Fire lets me read Kindle and nook books - after installing getjar - but the nook is locked to it's own store).

The fire also lets me read epubs (aldiko), but I have to download with a PC first, then save the epub to dropbox (the iPad can handle an ACSM file, can't get the fire to trigger aldiko with it, though).

If I want a library book and only have a tablet, Kindle is much easier to deal with; however, I've heard I can install the overdrive app on the Fire, so will try that next.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:52 PM   #42
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
If you don't want to bother with ebates or a BN membership, Discover Card is offering 15% back now for BN, including Nooks, if you buy online through them. The nice thing about Discover cashback now is that you can link up your Amazon account with it and pay for Amazon purchases with any cashback balance.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote