Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #31
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
As a test I just tried MobiDeDRM on an .azw book I bought after updating to 2.5.2, and indeed the script no longer works, with a "no key found, maybe the PID is incorrect" error. This was a book downloaded via computer for USB transfer to the Kindle in question.

I expected as much, but it's good to check these things out for oneself.
OTOH, if you using Kindle4PC -- even the latest edition -- and download NOT to your computer but to Kindle4PC -- then the non-script tool works fine. The only oddball bit is the title of the book in MyKindleContent -- at the file level, not what is displayed -- is the internal Amazon ASIN book number. But you can simply rename it and it works fine.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #32
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Good to know about K4PC! I'll have to start mucking around with that.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #33
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
On a risk-adjusted basis, I am obsessive-compulsive
Surely you mean compulsive-obsessive? I've often thought it ought to have the words in alphabetical order
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #34
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
OCD But you had me going, there!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #35
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Well, it took a little while, but I was able to install Kindle4PC, change the file to read only (darn, but they make it hard to see the actual program!) and decrypted a book and a sample I had downloaded. So, it looks like I am back in the book buying business, and can go back to whinning about not getting the update!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
So, it looks like I am back in the book buying business
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Well, it took a little while, but I was able to install Kindle4PC, change the file to read only (darn, but they make it hard to see the actual program!) and decrypted a book and a sample I had downloaded. So, it looks like I am back in the book buying business, and can go back to whinning about not getting the update!
don't forget to disable the auto-update setting in K4PC or there will be a risk they could change things in that quickly and easily.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
I get that with the new 2.5.2 bin, the scripts no longer work. But what I want to make sure I understand is this whole K4PC thing. Based on the comments are folks saying that you should (1) download a book to K4PC and (2) use the scripts on this version of the book to decrypt the book and (3)load the book onto my Kindle DRM free?

Hope I have this right, do I? If I have violated any board rules, Moderators please feel free to remove this post, didn't mean any harm. Sometime I am not sure what is legit to post here vs. what isn't.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 AM   #39
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Based on the comments are folks saying that you should (1) download a book to K4PC and (2) use the scripts on this version of the book to decrypt the book and (3)load the book onto my Kindle DRM free?
It is obviously possible to download a DRM-ridden version directly to your Kindle, but if you want a DRM-free version then the K4PC route you describe seems to be the best available today. There are several reasons why you might want to do this, for example: a) fix any formatting issues, or b) keep an archive copy that Amazon can't screw with, or c) also read on a device from another company.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #40
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
There's always going to be options. One thing growing up as a digital native has taught me is that hackers never stop. I'm frequently amazed at people who toil away at making content for free (both legally and illegally). There is almost always a fix on the horizon. I don't really find the K4PC option all that inconvenient, either. If you're stripping DRM then you're already on the computer. Even if you download a book to your Kindle while you're away, you can always open up the Kindle software when you get home or when connect your laptop to wifi somewhere and download and deDRM what you purchased on the go. Besides, I've been anxiously awaiting this update, so I'm certainly not going to pass it by when I have the chance to upgrade.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #41
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
How about this option?

I've been reading the above posts and have a another thought.

In theory, if one ensures the Whispernet remains off, manually downloads the 2.5.2 update and updates their device, Amazon would have no way of knowing that one's Kindle has been updated. As long as Whispernet remains off, I would think that any subsequent book purchases (downloaded to computer for transfer as opposed to device) would be DRM'd via the old PID scheme and, therefore, could still be liberated with tools mentioned. Of course, if/when Whispernet is activated that would presumably change everything.

Has anyone tested this yet?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #42
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I've been reading the above posts and have a another thought.

In theory, if one ensures the Whispernet remains off, manually downloads the 2.5.2 update and updates their device, Amazon would have no way of knowing that one's Kindle has been updated. As long as Whispernet remains off, I would think that any subsequent book purchases (downloaded to computer for transfer as opposed to device) would be DRM'd via the old PID scheme and, therefore, could still be liberated with tools mentioned. Of course, if/when Whispernet is activated that would presumably change everything.

Has anyone tested this yet?
That seems plausible to me.

BTW, who could have possibly foreseen this situation arising?
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #43
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
So - if you still have a K1 - in addition to a DX - and purchase a book and have it sent to the K1 - this book will still have the original DRM scheme and will be able to be de-DRMed using existing scripts?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #44
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So - if you still have a K1 - in addition to a DX - and purchase a book and have it sent to the K1 - this book will still have the original DRM scheme and will be able to be de-DRMed using existing scripts?
Yes. Actually, you can just save to the computer, telling it to create the book for the K1; you don't have to send it to the K1. (I do this all the time.)
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #45
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Is there a specific version of Kindle4PC that is required to do as discussed?

Last edited by Skydog; 06-15-2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: typo
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote