Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #31
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Seriously: Soles and dollars are both legal tender here.

Don
You mean like shoe soles?? Because I'm sure the sole of a good shoe is worth more than an American dollar at the moment.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #32
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Factoid: Coins are most often free of germs, although they may be dirty or greasy. Germs don't stick to the metal very well. Paper bills are wretched. I remember a while back reading that 80% of $20's had fecal matter. Are people eating their money or something?

/me suddenly reeeeally glad i've almost entirely switched to using my bank card to pay for things, since they have that built-in savings plan, and that for my smaller purchases i mostly use coins.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Factoid: Coins are most often free of germs, although they may be dirty or greasy. Germs don't stick to the metal very well. Paper bills are wretched. I remember a while back reading that 80% of $20's had fecal matter. Are people eating their money or something?
You have the wrong orifice, my friend....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #34
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

Don
Ewww! Ewww!! EEEEWWWWWWW!!!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #35
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:

Don
Just on day 1, but it's the correct one on day 2.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #36
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:

Don
Is fecal matter white?
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #37
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Is fecal matter white?
No, the white stuff is cocaine. Back in the 80's, $20's were handled so much by dealers that it was screwing up the sniffer dogs' efficiency because everyone was carrying the bills around. It seems to always be $20's that are must disgusting.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #38
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I loved visiting my Grandma because she always had pennies for me to wrap. Any time I visited her, I made a beeline for the coin bowl (pausing, of course, to give her a big hug first). There was something oddly comforting about counting out all the coins into little stacks and then dropping them into the crisp paper sleeves.

My dad kept a quart jar on his dresser and dumped his pocket change into it every night. Of course he often forgot to sort out the other stuff from his pockets so counting the coins usually turned into a treasure hunt. Nuts, bolts, metal washers, and ball bearings...sometimes a couple of marbles or odd little gears or bullets (especially during hunting season). One time I was so disgusted by the dirty money that I dumped the coins into a bowl of warm water and floor cleaner. They came out shiny and lemony fresh.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #39
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Coin washing is an occupation

The St. Francis Hotel in SF has been washing their coins for a long time. Click on this link to watch how they do it. (you have to watch a short commercial in the video before you see how it's done.)

http://cbs5.com/goodquestion/coin.wa....2.798317.html

I often have dreams about finding money, mostly coins, and I'm scrambling to pick up as many as I can before anyone else notices them. I always wake up before I can spend any of it.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 01-02-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Remembered dream
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #40
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
My husband works at a High School in a reasonably affluent suburb. Lots of the kids can't be bothered with small change and just drop it on the ground at the canteen line.
Geoff is the Head of the Support Unit (Special Ed Kids - very low I.Q.s). One child in the unit found enough money during one year to pay for his camp excursion.
Since that child has now left school the cleaner picks up all the coins and gives them to Geoff for the Unit.

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #41
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
It seems to always be $20's that are must disgusting.
Probably because of the higher denomination 20's take longer to circulate to the point of needing replacement then 1's, 5's and 10's. So bacteria has more time to grow on it. mmm yummy...

Though in the end you are probably better off letting your kids lick their money then washing their hands with anti-bacterial soap constantly. Chances are the kids will grow up with strong immune systems as apposed to the bacteria. That's why when my kid was old enough to swim I just took him down to the creek once a week and threw him in. 'Just avoid anything rusty or sharp'...
(So no one things I'm that horrible, that was meant to be a joke, but I'm bad letting people know when I'm kidding, sorry )

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 01-03-2009 at 04:59 PM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #42
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I started in June, after I found 31 cents in one day. So I started looking actively for change on the ground, and cataloguing it.

Yes, I have issues.

Anyway, I thought you might find this interesting. Since June, I found at total of $13.47.
Breakdown:
240 pennies
18 nickels
44 dimes
15 quarters
2 dollars (it would have been three if I had fought a kid over, but alas, I have morals. Stupid things, morals)

Since October (since the recession really started full force), I've noticed a mass drop in pennies. I thought this was interesting. A lot of people intentionally throw pennies on the ground, but now some are thinking twice (in my opinion).

I enjoy this way too much

mmmmmm....

are you going to declare this on your tax form ?

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #43
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
mmmmmm....

are you going to declare this on your tax form ?

Man what would I file that under?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #44
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I don't know your IR forms, but the UK have one that says "any other undeclared income...."
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote