Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #31
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Really, no Malcom X?
Seriously one of the best books I ever read.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That photo of Harpo (Arthur Adolph Marx) uploaded by Hamlet53 brings to mind an excellent autobiography written by his brother Groucho. Groucho and Me by Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx tells the story of The Marx Brothers and Groucho's rise to fame from their humble beginnings. It also tells of their not always so honorable methods of getting ahead and some of their not-so-honorable sexual escapades.

.....By this time you are probably aware of the fact that the brothers were congenital liars. You mustn't be too hard on us because we had discovered early in life that steady and consistent lying was the only road to survival.
..........— Julius Henry "Groucho" Marx, Groucho and Me (1959).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that pretty much all modern "autobiographies" of famous people are ghost written, do you think that he might extend his selection to biographies? There are a lot more biographies around than autobiographies.
I'll let Julius defend himself on that count:

.....There is nothing ghostly or ghosted about Groucho and Me. The "Me" is a comparatively unknown Marx named Julius Henry Marx. Groucho and Julius are one, but not the same.
..........Ibid.

He was a largely self-educated man who loved books, and was somewhat proud of his ability to write despite his lack of a more formal education.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Continuing the chain . . .

This reminded me of the autobiography (together with Rowland Barber) of Harpo Marx titled Harpo Speaks. Excellent book. The story of how, after the Marx Brothers had stopped making films, Harpo (The silent one) was a guest speaker at an event and would not stop talking is alone worth the read. That and Harpo explains the origin of his trademark “throwing a gookie.” ---->
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gookie.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	69186  

Last edited by Hamlet53; 03-29-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #34
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

An autobiography that I really enjoyed was A Reporter's Life by Walter Cronkite; once known as the most trusted man in America.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
Really, no Malcom X?
Seriously one of the best books I ever read.
30 posts before you and you're stunned that there are great biographies not yet mentioned?

My wife suggests Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #36
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Simply a strong suggestion.
And yes I am stunned, Its the only book Ive ever read that I think everyone should read, at least us Americans anyway.

Last edited by BenBanned; 03-30-2011 at 11:56 PM.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 AM   #37
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Autobiography of Malcolm X (as told to Alex Haley) is an important book. I've quoted from it more than once in the quotations thread. I highly recommend it, although I wouldn't say it's the only book all Americans should read.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-31-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Add last clause.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 AM   #38
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
A biography which I can recommend is "What's it all About" by Michael Caine.

He was born in The Elephant and Castle, one of the meanest and toughest

areas in London, and grew to be one of the best actors on the screen.

It's funny, and brutally honest.

I am sure that it must be available as an e-boook, as I have his latest book

called "The Elephant to Hollywood" on my Kindle.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:26 PM   #39
thepict
thepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enoughthepict will become famous soon enough

Device: iphone
May I recommend the FRY CHronicles by the Talented Mr S Fry.
Bill
thepict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #40
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepict View Post
May I recommend the FRY CHronicles by the Talented Mr S Fry.
Bill

+1

I am in the middle of reading his book now, and I am finding very, very good.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobiographies, autobiography