Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Mystery shall we ponder in February?
The Case of the Velvet Claws by Erle Stanley Gardner 12 38.71%
Absolution by Murder by Peter Tremayne 5 16.13%
The Blackhouse by Peter May 11 35.48%
Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippmann 5 16.13%
Midnight Riot (US) / Rivers of London (UK) by Ben Aaronovitch 11 35.48%
Deadly Appearances by Gail Bowen 4 12.90%
Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey 12 38.71%
The Apothecary Rose by Candace Robb 6 19.35%
Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler 9 29.03%
Ovid by David Wishart 4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2016, 11:05 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A tie!

The Case of the Velvet Claws by Erle Stanley Gardner
and
Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
OH! That was for naught! The poll is closed, and I won't be able to vote in the runoff unless it's another tie. Well, be back soon with the runoff poll.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The runoff poll has been posted. There's no multiple choice voting in the runoff, as it is unnecessary.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
It was almost a 4 way tie even. I did not see that coming when I checked last night. That would have been interesting.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No, you were right the first time. This is the legitimate version of Brat Farrar, published by Simon & Schuster. The other is almost certainly a bootleg copy. I think those who sell the copyrights of others are scum; it's even worse than the darkside or a virtual trip to Canada.
I believe you are correct. And I agree about bootleggers completely. I'd far rather folks get the book from their library, or take a trip north, than feed the bootleggers. I didn't even see the more expensive version when I first looked, but saw what I expected - an inexpensive version of a book long past its payout date. That being said, I think S&S's price is frankly outrageous for a book they haven't had any costs on in well more than 50 years.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2016, 11:42 AM   #36
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What's so wrong with Canada.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 AM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
What's so wrong with Canada.
Nothing at all! But no, the Canadian book didn't get into this month's list, but it did get into my Calibre by way of the BC Library. Thanks!

And Canadians can freely download one of the two books that DID get into the runoff at FadedPage. So I have at least two good books to read this month, for a net cost of $0.00.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
You're looking at the wrong version. I see Brat Farrar for $2.99

However, that being said, I will happily read either for this month's book.
That $2.99 version is illegal. Simon & Shuster own the rights to the book in the USA. That's probably one of the versions from Project Gutenberg where it's PD such as in Canada. The real price is $11.99.

I will not vote for the Tey book just so nobody will be buying the illegal version.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2016 at 03:05 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:24 PM   #39
GA Russell
Opening Day June 6
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Ive read somewhere that Raymond Burr had come in to try out for the role of Alexander Hamilton, but once Gardner saw he he said Burr was a perfect Mason. I have a biography of Raymond Burr on my TBR list (Hiding in Plain Sight: The Secret Life of Raymond Burr by Michael Seth Starr), so I'll have to read that to confirm what I just wrote, but the rest of the cast of the TV series had their own secrets, such as the year William Talman (Hamilton) disappeared from the show for a year. He'd been fired by the studio for fear his extra-curricular activities could reflect badly on his credibility as an actor playing a District Attorney when he was arrested by the police who caught him naked at a pot party. He was eventually rehired.
1) Tom, have you been thinking about Broadway lately? We know you mean Hamilton Burger!

2) I read this many years ago: At the time Burr was starring in a CBS western radio show whose name escapes me (maybe Fort Laramie?). He tried out for the part of Burger, and to his surprise he was given the part of Mason. Since TV stars were able to arrange for actors to get occasional jobs on their shows, he announced the news to his radio colleagues, and said, "Gentlemen, we're all going to be rich!"
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:25 PM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Of course. The idea of Alexander Hamilton showing up naked at a pot party just boggles the mind.