Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #31
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
You don't pump wattage into anything, a device draws as much current as it needs... it's voltage that's crucial. A PSU that supplies 5V and has 10A available will still only supply what a device requires... if it's 2A then that's what it'll take, if 500mA then the same but if 15A then it'll take 10A and whilst it might want another 5A, it won't get them. It'll either burn out the PSU or, more likely with overload protection being common, just get the 10A (or it could just shut the PSU down) but you don't get 10A flooding into a device that needs 2A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
5 volts x 2 amps = 10 watts (for iPad according to earlier post)

5 volts x 0.7 amp = 3.5 watts (appx. what the Sony Readers use for charging)

If you try to pump 3 times the rated wattage into a device it is not going to go well. However, if Mr. Anal Retentive will stick with more standardized chargers for cellular phones which are typically no more than 4 watts then they should work, and ditto for AC adapters designed to accept USB cables.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #32
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
However, if Mr. Anal Retentive will stick with more standardized chargers ....
Hey, I appreciate your opinion that you think this thread is unnecessary...but then why keep coming back?

There's really no need to be rude to the OP. I personally appreciate having a dedicated thread - rather than having to sort through others that cover other topics. I don't want to spend $30 on an overpriced charger.

And before you tell me to use my iPod charger, I don't have an iPod, or any other Apple toy. So far, none of the gadgets I have use this new-ish tip. So I appreciate a list of available chargers that I might want to buy for less than Sony's, when the time comes.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #33
Cheeseandpickles
Banned
Cheeseandpickles began at the beginning.

Device: Prs 600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Hey, I appreciate your opinion that you think this thread is unnecessary...but then why keep coming back?

There's really no need to be rude to the OP. I personally appreciate having a dedicated thread - rather than having to sort through others that cover other topics. I don't want to spend $30 on an overpriced charger.

And before you tell me to use my iPod charger, I don't have an iPod, or any other Apple toy. So far, none of the gadgets I have use this new-ish tip. So I appreciate a list of available chargers that I might want to buy for less than Sony's, when the time comes.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

I really don't see why this is so hard for you lot.

It's been stated more than once that micro USB is a standard that all cellphones manufactuers have a agreed to support. Ergo, there is very little difference between each charger. If it is micro USB, it more than likely will work.

It is not the same situation as what we had with the psp chargers. Micro USB, both charging and transfer was designed to be a similar as possible, no matter what the device using it.

don't believe me? Read this:-

The cellular phone carrier group, Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP), have recently endorsed Micro-USB as the standard connector for data and power on mobile devices.[23] These include various types of battery chargers, allowing Micro-USB to be the single external cable link needed by some devices. As of January 30, 2009 Micro-USB has been accepted by almost all cell phone manufacturers as the standard charging port (including Apple, HTC, Motorola, Nokia, LG, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Research In Motion) in the EU and most of the world. Worldwide conversion to the new cellphonecharging standard is expected to be completed between 2010 to 2012. In addition, on 22 October 2009 the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) announced that it had embraced micro-USB as the Universal Charger Solution its "energy-efficient one-charger-fits-all new mobile phone solution", and added: "Based on the Micro-USB interface, UCS chargers will also include a 4-star or higher efficiency rating—up to three times more energy-efficient than an unrated charger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...cro_connectors

The only arguement for buying the Sony charger is that it may be optimised to charge the device faster. But to be honest, I doubt even that is significant enough to justify the $30 price tag when generic $5 charger will do the exact same thing.

Last edited by Cheeseandpickles; 09-25-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Cheeseandpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #34
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
USB Charger

Ok, I may have a line on some inexpensive USB chargers. A friend of mine has a business and sells stuff on ebay a lot. He recently got a big stash of USB chargers, both AC and automobile (12V) types. They are rated 5V @750mA. These chargers are made for use in the US.

I'm trying to get my hands on a PRS350 or PRS650 to test these chargers for him. If they work ok, what does everyone think would be a fair price for a pair of chargers (one each AC and auto)? BTW, other than helping out my friend and the Mobilereaders, I'm not getting anything out of this. This will be my good deed for the day

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Does anyone know what the current rating is on the official Sony charger?

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #36
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
You don't pump wattage into anything, a device draws as much current as it needs
But the device can only draw as much current as the source can provide. A device that needs 2A isn't going to get that from a 500mA AC charger.

Last edited by mwheinz; 09-25-2010 at 11:10 PM.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #37
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles View Post
And I don't see why you need to be a jerk who claims that all usb chargers are the same, in the face of many of examples of how this is not true.

Last edited by mwheinz; 09-25-2010 at 09:43 PM.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #38
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseandpickles;

It's been stated more than once that micro USB is a standard that all cellphones manufactuers have a agreed to support.
I'm not looking for a cell-phone charger. I'm looking for a wall charger I can plug the USB cable that came with the Reader into--something I can plug the OTHER USB-charged devices into as well, you know, to consolidate things instead of using up more outlets. So I keep visiting this thread to see if anyone's posted a link to one they've found that works. I'm not sure why you keep visiting this thread--too much time on your hands?

Last edited by hgwlackey; 09-25-2010 at 10:00 PM.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #39
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
I'm not looking for a cell-phone charger. I'm looking for a wall charger I can plug the USB cable that came with the Reader into--something I can plug the OTHER USB-charged devices into as well, you know, to consolidate things instead of using up more outlets.

OMG. I really have been clueless about this, haven't I?

I think I have one of those somewhere, bought for my Dell Axim at least a few years ago!

I'll have to give that one a try, if the new Sonys ever show up in my town.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:59 PM   #40
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
We don't require you to agree with each other, but we do require you to be polite. If you need to refresh yourself with the MobileRead Guidelines, they can be found at the link below:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
(This is the same as the "Guidelines" link at the bottom of every forum page)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #41
Nikko73
Enthusiast
Nikko73 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo Aura One (after Hanlin, Sony and other Kobo devices)
For those in Australia I can confirm that this model works:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...uct/View/E9553

Its a generic micro usb charger for mobiles and at $29.98 is $20.00 cheaper than the Sony branded charger. It does exactly the same thing i.e. charges the battery from a mains supply allowing you to read at the same time.
Nikko73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #42
Cheeseandpickles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
And I don't see why you need to be a jerk who claims that all usb chargers are the same, in the face of many of examples of how this is not true.
while I have no problem being seen as a jerk (its really not that serious mate)

I would love you to show one example of a micro-usb charger that doesnt work with the Prs-650.

dont worry, ill wait
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I'm not looking for a cell-phone charger. I'm looking for a wall charger I can plug the USB cable that came with the Reader into--something I can plug the OTHER USB-charged devices into as well, you know, to consolidate things instead of using up more outlets. So I keep visiting this thread to see if anyone's posted a link to one they've found that works. I'm not sure why you keep visiting this thread--too much time on your hands?
Yes, those things are very handy! Unless you can't find your cable

(I just had to go through my entire room to find a normal usb/mini usb cable!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #44
Cheeseandpickles
Banned

Quote:

My reasons for visiting this thread have gone from trying to be helpful, to laughing at the inane cluelessness of this board. Although you may have a genuine reason, one that actually makes sense, that is not what the OP was talking about and you damn well know it.

so carry on. Ill post if I bloody well feel like it, thank you very much.

Last edited by Cheeseandpickles; 09-26-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #45
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
But if you'd read/quoted my full comment (see below) then you'll see I covered that... plus with Sony eReaders, it is obvious that they can accept whatevers avaialble within their range. They get 500mA from a computer USB socket but charge at 2A from an external PSU (or, indeed 500mA... just takes longer)...

Previous Post: You don't pump wattage into anything, a device draws as much current as it needs... it's voltage that's crucial. A PSU that supplies 5V and has 10A available will still only supply what a device requires... if it's 2A then that's what it'll take, if 500mA then the same but if 15A then it'll take 10A and whilst it might want another 5A, it won't get them. It'll either burn out the PSU or, more likely with overload protection being common, just get the 10A (or it could just shut the PSU down) but you don't get 10A flooding into a device that needs 2A...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
But the device can only draw as much current as the source can provide. A device that needs 2A isn't going to get that from a 500mA AC charger.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote