Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #391
Nilea
Nilea began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
YES!!! I believe that is it.. Thank you so much!!

Nilea
Nilea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #392
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilea View Post
YES!!! I believe that is it.. Thank you so much!!

Nilea
You're welcome!

I vaguely remembered reading it from many years ago and enjoying it (unusual for me; sci-fi isn't normally my preference).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #393
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I am looking for a book about a man that grew up in California and became a movie director. The story is told in the form of a series of interviews with friends and associates. The story becomes increasingly bizarre and is frequently very funny. I read it about 12 years ago. The main characters name had something to do with with Shark or Sharkey I seem to remember.

A long shot but here is to hoping
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #394
T3_reader
Enthusiast
T3_reader began at the beginning.

Device: IPad & Android phone
Years ago I read a funny book about a southern hillbilly who gets drafted. In the army his best buddy comes from a family of career soldiers. They do a lot of stupid things, much to the annoyance of their sergeant. Wrecking his car by washing it with seawater is one of the things I remember. It is an old book, maybe from the 60's or so. I have always wanted to reread it because it was such an hilarious story.
T3_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #395
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Was it "No Time for Sergeants" by Mac Hyman? It was made into a movie with Andy Griffith and Nick Adams.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #396
T3_reader
Enthusiast
T3_reader began at the beginning.

Device: IPad & Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Was it "No Time for Sergeants" by Mac Hyman? It was made into a movie with Andy Griffith and Nick Adams.
Yup - thanks for coming up with the title. The search in second hand book stores can now begin as there doesn't seem to be an ebook version.
T3_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #397
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Once I've read a science-fiction novel and the only thing I remember is the following:

In the story there is a sphere (the size of a moon?) which drifts trough space. Whenever it encounters a planet with intelligent/space-faring beings it destroys them or the planet (not sure which). However, the sphere 'guarding' the earth/solar-system is malfunctioning. When the humans stumble up on this sphere they start to investigate it.

Does anyone know the name of the novel?
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #398
icnacnud
icnacnud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Desperately seeking title or author

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out the title and/or author of a book I read a long time ago. Any help would be much appreciated as the inability to figure this out is driving me crazy!

The book is a post-apocalyptic novel (I believe part of a series, perhaps a trilogy but not sure) that is set in the Pacific Northwest (I believe Seattle) and involves a young (teenage?) girl as one of the main protagonists along with an older, street smart type guy whose somewhat of a father figure. The only other detail I can remember is that the book ends with a sequence in a stadium (Qwest Field? not sure). I think it was by a fairly well-known fantasy author.

Here's hoping someone has an idea for me. Thanks in advance!

icnacnud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #399
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can name that book in 7 words.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #400
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by icnacnud
This is my first post here. I have been scouring the internet trying to figure out the title and/or author of a book I read a long time ago. Any help would be much appreciated as the inability to figure this out is driving me crazy!

The book is a post-apocalyptic novel (I believe part of a series, perhaps a trilogy but not sure) that is set in the Pacific Northwest (I believe Seattle) and involves a young (teenage?) girl as one of the main protagonists along with an older, street smart type guy whose somewhat of a father figure. The only other detail I can remember is that the book ends with a sequence in a stadium (Qwest Field? not sure). I think it was by a fairly well-known fantasy author.
That sounds exactly like the first book (Armageddon's Children) in Terry Brooks' Genesis of Shannara trilogy... everything fits perfectly.

Well, almost perfectly. I wouldn't exactly consider 2006 "a long time ago", but maybe that's just me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #401
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymartin213
I am hunt for is a fantasy-book. I seem to name that it participating a soft missy called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone see which fact that could mayhap be?
Oh, for god's sake! Is this even a serious request? Especially given the irony that part of the poster's name (Martin) is the last name of the author who wrote the work he/she is "looking" for.

We've all been waiting for a long time for the latest book, but no one has forgotten.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #402
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymartin213 View Post
I am hunt for is a fantasy-book. I seem to name that it participating a soft missy called Arry, or Weasel, or Nymeria, or Nan, or Cat (of the Canals), or even sometimes Arya. Anyone see which fact that could mayhap be?
You must already know the answer, but that's A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #403
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
ooh, was so upset that i didn't see this before D;

erm, what i'm looking for is a fantasy book, the title is strictly one-word and may or may not start with the letter F. main protagonist may or may not be gay, but i think he is
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #404
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
ooh, was so upset that i didn't see this before D;

erm, what i'm looking for is a fantasy book, the title is strictly one-word and may or may not start with the letter F. main protagonist may or may not be gay, but i think he is
That's not a whole lot of information to go on

The only fantasy book/series I know with a gay protagonist is Melusine.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #405
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I remember a new release that came out either in 2009 or 2010 and every time I saw the book in a book shop I wanted to read it but I never got around to it and now the title of the book and the author allude me! I wanted to find out and see if I can get it in eBook form.

Anyway all I can remember is it might of been written by a lady with the first name Jean. The plot took a different twist on the Beauty and the Beast story. I think a young girl goes to some castle on a mountain and the Lord and everyone in his castle are under some powerful spell and he is in *beast* form. The girl is supposed to be there to do some work in his library or office and there is a mirror that she can look in to and she sees the *beast*.

I think the words blood or beast maybe in the title and the cover picture is of a beautiful young girl in medieval fashion looking at something.

That's all I can think of.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths