Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #376
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I used PMN Caecilia 85 and 86: link
I notice with the font thing you need to supply 4 different fonts, namely:

regular
italic
bold
bold-italic

What did you use for those 4? Did you just use 2 fonts and have the regular and italic the same as bold / bold italic?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #377
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I notice with the font thing you need to supply 4 different fonts, namely:

regular
italic
bold
bold-italic

What did you use for those 4? Did you just use 2 fonts and have the regular and italic the same as bold / bold italic?
I like really bold text on E Ink screens as my eyes are not as good as they once were. So I used bold and bold-italic only when I created my files for the font folder.
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Regular.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 85
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Italic.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 86
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Bold.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 85
  • CaeciliaHeavy-BoldItalic.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 86

The caveat is you lose the ability to differentiate normal from bold text, but in the books I read that really isn't much of an issue. About the only text that is bolded are headings and those still stand out.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-03-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #378
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks what I figured, thanks for confirming!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #379
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wow, UPS arrives early for you! My guy doesn't show up until after 6.
I live in Mexico so I don't wait for the guy to arrive. When the truck pulls in from Puebla with my package I'm standing there waving and the UPS employees are all laughing. Of course, the UPS depot is only four blocks from my apartment.

My Kindle Basic took 38 hours to arrive. The bottleneck is, not surprisingly, the government part of the operation where the tax vampires in Toluca get their shot and Amazon pays a package deal so the packages zip through. The tax collectors still tore the box open but they didn't keep it for two days trying to figure out what it was. Now, I'm waiting for my case from Marware and it will take much longer while the tax collectors look at it.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #380
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Congrats on your new Kindle! If I live that close to a depot I would be there too when it showed up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #381
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I like really bold text on E Ink screens as my eyes are not as good as they once were. So I used bold and bold-italic only when I created my files for the font folder.
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Regular.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 85
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Italic.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 86
  • CaeciliaHeavy-Bold.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 85
  • CaeciliaHeavy-BoldItalic.ttf, used PMN Caecelia 86

The caveat is you lose the ability to differentiate normal from bold text, but in the books I read that really isn't much of an issue. About the only text that is bolded are headings and those still stand out.
I just use a different font family for bold and bold italic. This really makes those text stand out. Also breaks up the monotony and add some flair. The dictionary, for example, is easier to read because the words and definitions are very distinct.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #382
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I just use a different font family for bold and bold italic. This really makes those text stand out. Also breaks up the monotony and add some flair. The dictionary, for example, is easier to read because the words and definitions are very distinct.
That is what I did on my Sony 350. I used Arial Black for Bold. I don't think Arial Black has a Italic though. As far as that goes there might be and even bolder Caecilia available too. However, if the font is too bold (thick) then it becomes difficult to read as details get obscured.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #383
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question, Can I just drag and drop my personal documents and mobi books with mbp files into the new K4 and it keep my places in my books? I don't suppose I can transfer my collections?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #384
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
For the new owners: how is the navigation coming along?
There are a few pundits who claim that it must be a pain to navigate on the K4 . How do actual , regular human beings find navigating around, including searchingfor and accessing books, bookmarking, creating notes, etc. ?
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #385
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
That is what I did on my Sony 350. I used Arial Black for Bold. I don't think Arial Black has a Italic though. As far as that goes there might be and even bolder Caecilia available too. However, if the font is too bold (thick) then it becomes difficult to read as details get obscured.
I've having issues with this font thing for Calibre. Been trying it on my wife's Kindle Keyboard. Here is a screenshot of what the font selection looks like right after I restart the Kindle:

Why does it have those weird line spacing options?

Then I wait maybe 20 seconds and it reverts to this:

What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #386
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Totally off topic!
Blossom, I notice you are from East Tennessee. When you say the mail is picked up from JC, do you mean Johnson City? Just curious, I'm originally from Bristol. Always cool to run into people from that area!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #387
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
I've having issues with this font thing for Calibre. Been trying it on my wife's Kindle Keyboard. Here is a screenshot of what the font selection looks like right after I restart the Kindle:

Why does it have those weird line spacing options?

Then I wait maybe 20 seconds and it reverts to this:

What am I doing wrong?
Alt is the sideloaded font. I understand if you don't select Alt for Typeface it will revert back. Did you select Alt?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #388
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
Alt is the sideloaded font. I understand if you don't select Alt for Typeface it will revert back. Did you select Alt?
Yup, I selected Alt, and the font changes, but then when I go back to the font selection box it reverts to the original settings and I lose the font. It's very strange.

Also are those line-spacing options normal to show up like that?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #389
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
For the new owners: how is the navigation coming along?
There are a few pundits who claim that it must be a pain to navigate on the K4 . How do actual , regular human beings find navigating around, including searchingfor and accessing books, bookmarking, creating notes, etc. ?
Navigation is just like on the K3. Entering text is a bit sluggish, but I never enter that much text with my readers. A few menu items are different and it takes an extra click to start a highlight due to more menu options, but over all the experience is good.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #390
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Totally off topic!
Blossom, I notice you are from East Tennessee. When you say the mail is picked up from JC, do you mean Johnson City? Just curious, I'm originally from Bristol. Always cool to run into people from that area!
S
Yep! I live near Betsy town.

Ah you're in Charlotte! My hubby is from Fayetteville. So I use to live in Boone and we worked out of Charlotte. Also lived in Wilmington for awhile but the hurricanes came and I made for the Tennessee Hills!

I'm originally a midwesterner from St Louis, Missouri met a military guy online and married him. We moved several places till he separated in 2004 then we moved to NC and finally here to TN where the tax is high but the cost of living is low!

Last edited by Blossom; 10-03-2011 at 04:42 PM.