Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #361
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Just a quick note to say that I've been using the release version of 2.0 and it seems to be working very well. I had a few glitches right after installing, but they haven't repeated.

Oh--I remember one thing--for some reason there were book entries in the library for a couple of titles, but no actual book files. Freda didn't like that, and crashed. Took a few times before I figured out the problem.
Thanks for the report. I'm not sure how Freda could get into a state where it has library entries for non-existent book files - but I'll look into it, and at least make sure that in that case Freda (1) tidies up the library (2) doesn't crash.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #362
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
I just checked out the latest WinCE build and I love it! It's surpassed AlReader as my favorite reading software.

I'd like to make one suggestion/request. The option to show the remaining battery percentage at the bottom. WinCE devices don't have a meter on the status bar so seeing this inside the reader is a HUGE convenience.

Thanks again for the awesome software!
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #363
DarkJoker
DarkJoker began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Apptodate support in Freda 2.0

Hi Jim,
you did a fantastic job with Freda 2.0. It's one of the best ebook reader programs I know (and I use a lot of them).

You introduced apptodate support in Freda 1.0, which I used sometimes. Apptodate was unable to update Freda 1.1 to Freda 2.0 (what IMHO is OK for a new major release), but I'd like to know if you are going to support apptodate with the 2.0 release line for minor fixes.

many thanks for your work
DarkJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #364
DarkJoker
DarkJoker began at the beginning.

Device: HTC HD2
Strange x-mas tree formatting in "Eternity's End"

Hi Jim,

I noticed a change in formatting after updating from Freda 1.1 to Freda 2.0. I like the books from starrigger, and his "Eternity's End" novel looks strange in Freda 2.0. I'm only able to get a centered formatting of this book - independent of the setting "Force alignment". I can't remember the settings I had for this book in Freda 1, but it definitely looked better. Is there something I'm missing? You can find the book at starriggers site.

many thanks in advance
DarkJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #365
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post
Odd. I am looking into it.
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 05:35 AM   #366
emai7s2
Connoisseur
emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.emai7s2 trips the light fantastic.

Device: Palm & PPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Freda v2 is now ready for general release.
I deleted Freda v. 1.1 from my Dell Axim X50v running WM2003SE and then installed Freda version 2.0. Version 2 won't even launch on my Axim - I just get a series of error messages.

I then deleted v. 2.0 and reinstalled v. 1.1, and everything seems to work fine again.
emai7s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 AM   #367
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emai7s2 View Post
Version 2 won't even launch on my Axim - I just get a series of error messages.
My guess is that this is because you need an updated version of the .Net Compact Framework on your Axim (if you can give more detail about the errors messages, I can verify that suspicion). v1.1 of Freda would work with version 2 of the .NetCF, but v2.0 needs version 3.5 of the .NetCF.
The solution is: look on Microsoft's website for ".Net Compact Framework Redistributable". Follow the link to download and install version 3.5. Try running Freda 2.0 again.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #368
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoker View Post

Hi Jim,

I noticed a change in formatting after updating from Freda 1.1 to Freda 2.0. I like the books from starrigger, and his "Eternity's End" novel looks strange in Freda 2.0. I'm only able to get a centered formatting of this book - independent of the setting "Force alignment". I can't remember the settings I had for this book in Freda 1, but it definitely looked better. Is there something I'm missing? You can find the book at starriggers site.

many thanks in advance
Hm. Maybe I should take a look at that, too.

Yes, I see what you mean. I have Freda set to force left alignment, but Eternity's End still displays with everything centered.

It looks correct in the Calibre viewer, for what that's worth. And thanks, DarkJoker, for bringing it to our attention!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #369
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Jim -- I don't remember if this issue has been raised already or not. I've got some stuff I recently acquired in epub, and it displays fine in both ADE and in Calibre viewer. But Freda squishes out all the blank line spaces and crams the text together. Is this an issue you're already working on? I can email you an example, if you like.

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #370
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Jim -- I don't remember if this issue has been raised already or not. I've got some stuff I recently acquired in epub, and it displays fine in both ADE and in Calibre viewer. But Freda squishes out all the blank line spaces and crams the text together. Is this an issue you're already working on? I can email you an example, if you like.

Thanks.
No I am not aware of that issue with Freda. Possibly it might be a CSS (style sheet) issue - the default Freda setup will ignore all but the first 100 rules in a style sheet, to avoid performance issues. You can override this behaviour by changing the 'Max rulesets in stylesheet' setting ('0' means 'read the whole style sheet, no matter how long it is').

In any case, please email me an example (home@jim-chapman.net) and I will take a look. It may take me a while, as my top priority just now is to be ready with the Windows Phone 7 build in time for the WP7 launch in October ...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #371
jacka123
jacka123 began at the beginning.

Device: Hp212
Jim, your epub reader looks grate, however, why I cannot download the cab file, it reported that the link has been lost.
jacka123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #372
Jim Chapman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacka123 View Post
Jim, your epub reader looks grate, however, why I cannot download the cab file, it reported that the link has been lost.
I just checked, and it looks like the links (at least the Dropbox) ones on http://www.turnip.demon.co.uk/jim/fr...l/download.htm are working at the moment. Please let me know if you're still having problems.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #373
jacka123

Hi JIm, I have got the Freda V2.0 and tried it out, it is perfect within the reader after doing some correct settings. however, I encountered some difficulties when lookup words using the dictionary POWERWORD: first the new word wouldn't past into the lookup window automaticly; second it seems that it wouldn't return to the reader from the DIC. It will open and load the dic as a new application into the memery and the dic. window disappearers in a split second or even wouldn't turn out any more while lookup a new word again. So could you please look into this and make the reader to send a copy of the new word to the clip board which allow it to be quoted by other application smoothly. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #374
jacka123

One more quesiton. How to set the Library appearance like this illustration below:

Last edited by jacka123; 09-28-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #375
Bald Eagle
Connoisseur
Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bald Eagle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra Colour
Hello Jim,

I'm trying to read 'Grantville Gazette 31' on my HD2. There pops up a message saying "Trying to recover memory..." which went away after a short while in the first story. It does not so in the second (Lion's Tower), obscuring the upper part of the screen which somewhat detracts from the reading experience.
Is there an option to turn it off?
I'm using Freda 2.0 build 104.

Thanks
Eagle
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote