Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #331
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasW View Post
I haven't changed any values in the preferences away from default so I'm not really sure what the problem is. One of the books is in ePUB format, the other was an html format. This indentation problem seems to be present in the ebook reader within caliber as well, as seen in the screenshow below.

Any help is appreciated. I tried searching but had no luck, so sorry if this has been covered before.
This has been covered to death, check these search results.

Bottom Line is you need to edit the left margin in the .css of the epub to suit you before you convert it to mobi. You can either use Sigil or Tweak-epub combined with Notepad++ to actually edit the css file inside the epub file.

Typically you'll find one or two places where there is a 1em left and right margin defining the main paragraphs, changing just these one or two spots in the css to 0 is usually enough and leaves all of the special chapter, picture or blockquote stuff alone.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-20-2010 at 09:46 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #332
DallasW
DallasW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This has been covered to death, check these search results.

Bottom Line is you need to edit the left margin in the .css of the epub to suit you before you convert it to mobi. You can either use Sigil or Tweak-epub combined with Notepad++ to actually edit the css file inside the epub file.

Typically you'll find one or two places where there is a 1em left and right margin defining the main paragraphs, changing just these one or two spots in the css to 0 is usually enough and leaves all of the special chapter, picture or blockquote stuff alone.
Thanks, it worked perfectly.
DallasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM   #333
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is one reason why all my ePub are easily converted to Mobipocket if I wanted to do so. I like my ePub with no margins and thus, they don't have any left margin problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #334
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is one reason why all my ePub are easily converted to Mobipocket if I wanted to do so. I like my ePub with no margins and thus, they don't have any left margin problems.
You and me both. None of my epubs have a left or right margin on the main book content so if/when I need to convert to another format it should be painless.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #335
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
A number of months ago, I put in a request to fix a bug in Calibre (#4887) that I encountered when converting a PRC file to a Mobi file. Any paragraph beginning with an italicized word (and, I susbsequently found, one that was in bold type) would not be indented, but would be foreced to the left-hand margin. The problem has never been addressed.

I now have Calibre version 0.7.22, and have found all of a sudden that things have changed when converting these files. Regular paragraphs for most files are now indented 7 spaces and italicized-beginning paragraphs are indented 5 spaces.

For my purposes, this is a big improvement. But, for some reason in some files the former problem of no indentation of italicized-beginning paragraphs still exists, and the only variable I've found between the files, is the size of them. David Weber's "Mutineer's Moon," which is 0.4 MB in length, gives me the improved indentation, but Weber's "Empire from Ashes," which is 1.4 MB in length (and contains Mutineer's Moon as one of its novels) converts the old way, with no indentation of the italicized paragraphs (and all paragraphs that do get indented are indented 3 spaces).

I should say these are all files that are prepared the same way: using Book Designer to format them, Notepad to edit them, and Mobipocket Creator to create the PRC books.

I'd be interested in any ideas anyone has about the problem and suggestions about anything I can do to be sure that all paragraphs have some indentation. Sure, it'd be nice if they all had the same kind of indentation, for some is way better than none. If, as sometimes happens, the author has pages of italicized content, with no indentation it all blurs together as one block of italicized prose.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #336
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Nevermind. Turns out if you go to the "Look and Feel" controls and accept the indentation that you get if you put a check in the block to eliminate spacing between paragraphs, even in the long files you get the indentation I was referring to in the previous posting - 7 spaces in regular paragraphs and 5spaces of indentation in paragraphs beginning with an italicized word. Works for poetry quotes that are italicized, too. I'll just make it a routine to check that block when I'm converting.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #337
Lord Mountebank
Lord Mountebank began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook, kindle 3 wifi
Hi. I was wondering if there is any way to specify the mobi output encoding. I tried with the ebook-convert but it won't do it.
Lord Mountebank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM   #338
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBI files are always encoded in UTF-8
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #339
bucsie
Connoisseur
bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bucsie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes:
I tried to convert a PDF file to mobi, and the dialogue quotes were incorrectly translated. Opening quotes were changed to - and closing quotes to ||.
Anyone else experience that?

Also, I wanted to remove the header. The pdf to html source looks like this:
Code:
<hr>
<A name=4></a><b>Immortals After Dark Series – 02 – A Hunger Like No Other  </b><br>
<b>Page 4 of 360 </b><br>
I cannot comprehend the regex that detects headers, but it looks right, with the "a name" thing and all...

Last edited by bucsie; 11-07-2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add another issue
bucsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #340
WeibRabe
WeibRabe began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook + Kindle 3
I've got one problem when I'm trying to convert chm file to mobi by using Calibre. There are lot of <pre> blocks in chm file and after converting this <pre> blocks don't fit to Kindle 3. I mean that after converting and reading on Kindle 3 (in landscape mode) the lines in pre blocks don't fit to screen and ends of lines are not visible.
I've tried to add custom css -
Code:
pre {white-space:normal}
, but the result was awful. I've tried
Code:
pre {white-space:pre-wrap}
, but it doesn't work .
Maybe there is another way to 'cook' pre blocks for Kindle?
WeibRabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #341
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
not that I'm aware of
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #342
isci1
isci1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which program converts .xml or .html to .tex?
isci1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #343
hywel.antonio
hywel.antonio began at the beginning.

Hi,

I have converted an HTML into mobipocket file. However, I noticed that the Table of Contents is located at the end of the file. Is it possible to move the TOC to the start of the file?

Thank you
hywel.antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #344
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywel.antonio View Post
I have converted an HTML into mobipocket file. However, I noticed that the Table of Contents is located at the end of the file. Is it possible to move the TOC to the start of the file?
Since Mobi doesn't have an internal metadata way to deal with a table of contents it stores the TOC it uses for the Kindle at the end of the file. If you want a inline TOC at the front you have to put that in manually. But since the TOC is already accessable via the standard go to feature it isn't needed.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-17-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #345
hywel.antonio
hywel.antonio began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Since Mobi doesn't have an internal metadata way to deal with a table of contents it stores the TOC it uses for the Kindle at the end of the file. If you want a inline TOC at the front you have to put that in manually. But since the TOC is already accessable via the standard go to feature it isn't needed.
Hi Dwanthy,

Thank you for the great help. I tried using the mobipocket creator at mobipocket.com and it looked as if the TOC was added at the start of the file. Is there a way we can do this with Calibre?

I like Calibre because of its features and supports ligature which mobipocket creator does not.

Thank you.
hywel.antonio is offline   Reply With Quote