Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-22-2023, 08:46 PM   #31576
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The question is "which football"?

It amuses me to yank the chains of British English speakers who insist that "soccer" is an Americanism by reminding them that the word was invented in the UK
Footy football - "soccer" - as it were. Jonathan Wilson has covered the sport for The Guardian for years. His book is one of the best ever on the evolution of tactics. It was not meant to be a non sequitur. I posted it in direct response to you reading an Arsenal (booo) book.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:21 PM   #31577
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Footy football - "soccer" - as it were. Jonathan Wilson has covered the sport for The Guardian for years. His book is one of the best ever on the evolution of tactics. It was not meant to be a non sequitur. I posted it in direct response to you reading an Arsenal (booo) book.
Thanks. I thought it was most likely you meant "real" football, but I've learned never to assume.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 04:04 AM   #31578
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I just finished 'Sea of Tranquility' by Emily St John Mandel. After about a ]1/3 in, I started to pull the cord and read something else. All these disparate stories with no seeming connection. I pushed through. I'm glad I did. Shortly after this point, it started to make sense, and then about 1/2 way in it became clear. Very imaginative.

Now I've started Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams. A spy thriller.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 04:49 AM   #31579
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just started the series Project Paper Doll...
https://www.goodreads.com/series/812...ect-paper-doll

Coming up to the end of the first novel and I am enjoying it. Likeable characters, a good pacing with the mystery and suspense.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 05:58 AM   #31580
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Someday the Rabbi will Leave by Harry Kemelman. Part of a re-read of this excellent set of mystery novels.
Very enjoyable indeed.

Next up: Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwall. I think this is a stand-alone.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #31581
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Gallows Thief by Bernard Cornwall. I think this is a stand-alone.
And a most enjoyable post-Napoleonic romp in London it is.

Next up: Project One by E. C. Tubb
Old 10-24-2023, 12:55 AM   #31582
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I am reading Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, a popular novel by Gail Honeyman.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 04:51 AM   #31583
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewis78 View Post
I am reading Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, a popular novel by Gail Honeyman.
I enjoyed that book, a friend of mine had me read it, even bought it for me if I'd read it.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #31584
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I enjoyed that book, a friend of mine had me read it, even bought it for me if I'd read it.
Yeah, I liked it too.
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 02:22 AM   #31585
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Project One by E. C. Tubb
A collection. OK. Early SF, some of it not really SF, just in an SF setting.

Next I read The Rise by Ian Rankin. One of Amazon's First Reads for October, and an enjoyable short story it was too.

Followed by another First Read I could get this month, The Village Healer's Book of Cures. I abandoned this. I didn't believe in the characters, and it has too much fantasy for a historical, and I wasn't convinced by the historical detail.

Next up: Nerve by Dick Francis. His second thriller.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:06 AM   #31586
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Nerve by Dick Francis. His second thriller.
I realised I needed to read a book for a book club: Who Are We Now? by Jason Cowley. A rather rambling exploration of modern-day Englishness.

Now back to Nerve...

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-29-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 04:41 AM   #31587
Quizlit
Enthusiast
Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quizlit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite 4
Currently reading Revenge by Yoko Ogawa, an enjoyably strange set of interlinked short stories.
Recently finished the The Employees by Olga Ravn and Glory by NoVoilet Bulawayo, didn't love either of those. The recent one I enjoyed more than expected was Western Lane by Chetna Maroo, recently shortlisted for the Booker Prize.
Quizlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:43 AM   #31588
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
One third through Sticky: The Secret Science of Surfaces by Laurie Winkless and really enjoying it. Writing good popsci is an art, trying to be neither too dense and dry nor too fun and frothy. Winkless has nailed it so far at least, the science is presented simply but with no forced attempts at jokiness and with copious references to additional reading on the subjects discussed.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:31 AM   #31589
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I have started reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Dee Brown) in paperback. I bought it almost 20 years ago.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:52 PM   #31590
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am reading starling house. its slow paced but good. i am also reading SEED about some demon like creature terrorizing a family. Short novel but excellent!
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote