Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #286
Lurchmonster
Lurchmonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Why would you want it set to PDOC?
Because the Kindle 2 only puts things in the "Personal Docs" catagory when the CDETYPE flag is set to PDOC. Otherwise it defaults everything to the books catagory. Adding the ability to Calibre to be able to set that flag enables you to be able to keep your own files and your books seperate.
Lurchmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #287
jlinden
Connoisseur
jlinden began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle DX, Sony TS-1, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox M96
mobi's left aligned

Hi,

It seems that I am practically the only one who takes offence at justified (i.e. right aligned right margin) mobi's or prc's. I personally think it is horrible.
Even on my Kindle DX gaps appear in the text which distract me very much.
So I'm trying to format all my mobi's and prc's (which all show fine on my Cybook) for left alignment (i.e. ragged right margin). The only way that seems to work is to convert them to ePubs, edit them in Sigil, and then convert them back to mobi's . Often. I loose the Table of Contents with this procedure.
There must be an easier way !! I started with extra CSS's in Calibre but I cannot get it to work. Please.. can someone put me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Jan
jlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #288
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Have you checked the dont justify box in the conversion options? And update tot he latest calibre (there were some justification related fixes recently).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #289
jlinden
Connoisseur

yes I have (to both questions)
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #290
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Opena ticket and attach a file that shows this behavior on conversion
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #291
jlinden
Connoisseur

Kovid,

I don't know what you changed in version 0.6.37 but all of a sudden my mobi conversions from .prc are formatted perfectly !! I already converted three books successfully. In version 0.6.36 the same books caused problems...

Thanks a lot! This is great.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #292
Chang
Connoisseur
Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Chang is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I bet I'm not the first one with this problem but I just couldn't find solved answer for this problem.

I have scandinavian letters (äöäöäöä) in my TOC on EPUB file and those work fine. When I convert my EPUB to MOBI, it loses the scandinavian letters and adds question marks in their place. For example, "ly?nti" when it should be "lyönti". Scandinavian letters works fine in the content and this problem occurs only in TOC. What might be the problem?

Last edited by Chang; 02-16-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #293
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

the device you're using to view the mobi file doesn't use a unicode enabled font to render the table of contents.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #294
davidgee
davidgee began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
Characters nor displaying correctly

I'm trying to read some texts which contain the ancient Sanskrit language which uses "diacritics" (accents and dots above and below the characters). When I use Calibre to convert the pdf documents for reading on Mobireader, these characters are wrongly produced (for example "Krsna"- with dots below the s,n and a- becomes Kåñëa). Can anyone help me please?
davidgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #295
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgee View Post
I'm trying to read some texts which contain the ancient Sanskrit language which uses "diacritics" (accents and dots above and below the characters). When I use Calibre to convert the pdf documents for reading on Mobireader, these characters are wrongly produced (for example "Krsna"- with dots below the s,n and a- becomes Kåñëa). Can anyone help me please?
I'm guessing that the PDF i displaying the text with a custom embedded font. If that's so, you're not going to get a correct conversion to Mobipocket, which can only display a document with one font.

You might be able to convert to an ePub, which could embed the special font.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #296
davidgee
davidgee began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Touch Pro2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm guessing that the PDF i displaying the text with a custom embedded font. If that's so, you're not going to get a correct conversion to Mobipocket, which can only display a document with one font.

You might be able to convert to an ePub, which could embed the special font.
Thanks for your reply. When I convert to epub I have the same problem of characters not displaying correctly. But what did you mean by saying it could "embed the special font"? Do I have to do something to get it to do this?
davidgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #297
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgee View Post
Thanks for your reply. When I convert to epub I have the same problem of characters not displaying correctly. But what did you mean by saying it could "embed the special font"? Do I have to do something to get it to do this?
If I've guessed right, then the Sanskrit text is being displayed in the PDF in a particular font, that doesn't have the usual character encoding. Which is why they look wrong when displayed without that font.

If you look at the PDF attributes with (say) Adobe Acrobat, you should be able to find the name of the font that's being used. The first step is to get a copy of that font, and confirm my guess.

You then need to code up the text that should be in that font with something like an html span, e.g. <span class="sanskrit">SANSKRIT TEXT HERE</span>, and then in the CSS specify that the sanskrit span should use the sanskrit font. And then you need to embed the sanskrit font in the ePub - there are messages here on Mobileread on how to do that.

And then you need to make sure you have permission to distribute the font in your epub...
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #298
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Table of Contents in other languages

Hi,

Does anyone know if is possible to put the description "Table of Contents" in another language? (as a parameter setting somewhere in Calibre)
This description is showed by eReaders and it is more user-friendly to put it in the same language as the eBook it is connected to.

For example:
  • Inhoudsopgave (Dutch)
  • Inhalt (German)
  • Sommaire (French)
  • etc.

Thanks!
netman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #299
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use the --toc-title option. I don't recall what the equivalent GUI setting is, but look under MOBI Output in the conversion preferences.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #300
netman49
Publisher
netman49 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-650, iPod Touch, iPad
Thanks Kovid, I overlooked that option.
Gert
netman49 is offline   Reply With Quote