Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #286
marcalans
marcalans began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
Problems with Read Aloud in Cool Reader

I can't get the Read Aloud feature to work in CoolReader 3.0.46-10 with Android 2.3 on a smartphone and TalkBack installed and running under Accessibility options. Finding help is virtually impossible. As long as the Accessibility option is activated and running TalkBack and a TTS engine is running, the Read Aloud feature should work, right? Is there something I'm missing here?
marcalans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #287
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayo View Post
When reading an ePub file on Cool Reader for the PC, page breaks are showing up correctly where they are supposed to.

However, when reading the same file on Android, Cool Reader is *not* honoring the page breaks, and the text is just running all together - and looks horrible.

How can I get Cool Reader for Android to respect page breaks the same way the PC version does?
CoolReader has the ability to use custom CSS styles but it seems they do not work in Android version.

You can put some css files into some folders in your public partition but, as said, it seems CR is ignoring them and using its internal odd ones.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #288
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
CoolReader has the ability to use custom CSS styles but it seems they do not work in Android version.

You can put some css files into some folders in your public partition but, as said, it seems CR is ignoring them and using its internal odd ones.
I can't seem to get the css override to work. I am afraid to call it a bug. I may not know what I'm doing.

If anybody has it working would they please pass the info along, including some real life examples.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #289
Cayo
Enthusiast
Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Cayo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post

Any chance this will be fixed soon?
Cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:33 AM   #290
Jayelbird
Jayelbird began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Feature request

Deleted

Last edited by Jayelbird; 06-24-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Jayelbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #291
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you go into CoolReader's OPTIONS menu and tap on the wrench shaped icon in the top right corner you should find in the resulting list an option to "Override system backlight timeout".
It should yes, but on my Asus Transformer it does not work :-( Honycomb 3.1 after the last update of coolreader it stopped working. I do not know if anyone else is having this problem but it is kinda distressing.
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #292
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
On my Adam with Honeycomb I can't get Cool Reader to go totally full screen (and hide the task bar or whatever you call it at the bottom). Is this something that Google's made impossible, or will there be an update that does this?
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #293
Roos
Groupie
Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Roos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
On my Adam with Honeycomb I can't get Cool Reader to go totally full screen (and hide the task bar or whatever you call it at the bottom). Is this something that Google's made impossible, or will there be an update that does this?
Nope, not possible, but it would be awkward when the controls went missing, it is the setback for no buttons (i would not mind the usual android hardware button setup) but alas..
Roos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #294
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
OK, thanks. No awkwardness for me, I have used it full screen up to now, by using the middle field to open the menu. Too bad they didn't make that possible. Then again maybe somebody hacks a solution to that sooner or later...
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #295
book1
book1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
2 page mode, space between pages

Hi!

I recently found Coolreader and have been running it on a tablet. I usually use the landscape 2 page mode. I find the page separation/gap between the 2 pages, a little less. Is there any way to increase/customize this gap?

thanks
--
book1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #296
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by book1 View Post
Hi!

I recently found Coolreader and have been running it on a tablet. I usually use the landscape 2 page mode. I find the page separation/gap between the 2 pages, a little less. Is there any way to increase/customize this gap?

thanks
--
Increase the left or right margin that should work
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #297
ryublu
ryublu began at the beginning.

Device: Yarvik 310
This is probably a stupid question but no matter how I search I can't seem to find an answer, so I'll just ask and hope that someone can help.

On the Android Market page for Cool Reader it states (twice, I think) that you can read DOC with it, yet as I look around in other places - like this thread for instance - I find no mention of that. Can anyone tell me if it does?

I am specifically looking for something which will allow me to read my big and lovingly assembled library of Word files on a tablet. Cool Reader sounds perfect for nearly everything else, it would be so great if it could. ^_^
ryublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #298
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is able to open doc files but I don't have any doc books to try I tried it on a document it opened properly. I don't think it will support all the formatting that word supports but it does open the files.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #299
ryublu
ryublu began at the beginning.

Device: Yarvik 310
Thank you Dopedangel for your help!
Well that sounds great so far... reading these files without having to print up a forest is the main reason I wanted some kind of e-reader in the first place... and as for formatting, I hope it will be able to handle bold/italics, ("") and (...) as these are what might be in my files other than plain text. (I imagine there might be some wonkiness on headlines, possibly, but if the title of a story gets messed up when I open a file and I can still read the rest well enough, I certainly won't complain) I've already realized that I'd need to add a few fonts myself, but from what I gather that isn't very difficult.
Cool Reader it is, then. ^_^ Wonderful!
( Now all I need is to figure out which comic reader to choose for my jpg and png manga, and I'll be all set for when I actually get my mobii. Progress! XD )
ryublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #300
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryublu View Post
Thank you Dopedangel for your help!
Well that sounds great so far... reading these files without having to print up a forest is the main reason I wanted some kind of e-reader in the first place... and as for formatting, I hope it will be able to handle bold/italics, ("") and (...) as these are what might be in my files other than plain text. (I imagine there might be some wonkiness on headlines, possibly, but if the title of a story gets messed up when I open a file and I can still read the rest well enough, I certainly won't complain) I've already realized that I'd need to add a few fonts myself, but from what I gather that isn't very difficult.
Cool Reader it is, then. ^_^ Wonderful!
( Now all I need is to figure out which comic reader to choose for my jpg and png manga, and I'll be all set for when I actually get my mobii. Progress! XD )
Instead of using doc files I would recommend first converting your books to rtf then using calibre to convert to epub IIRC calibre does support converting txt files with _ * for bold and Italic etc it might work for doc as well.
You could update your library as well as add metadata and covers to your ebooks.

Tags
cool reader, fb2 epub rtf chm fbreader