Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #286
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If I had to choose between the Fire HD and the Nexus 7, I'd go with the Nexus.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #287
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm just catching up on comments and what is new and I'm itching to click on something that says "buy now". It doesn't matter which, I just have the itch to click.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #288
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
too bad no gps I was hoping for that
I noticed that omission too.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #289
realracer2
realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.realracer2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
They must be waiting for Bezos to write his usual full page speech before putting up the new Kindle and Fire.
realracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #290
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Is the Fire HD a quad-core?
Dual with vector-processing and high-grade GPU:
Quote:
The 4th generation OMAPs, OMAP 4430, 4460 (formerly named 4440),[11] and 4470 all use dual-core ARM Cortex-A9s. [12][13][14] 4430 and 4460 use a PowerVR SGX540 integrated 3D graphics accelerator which runs at a clock frequency of 304 and 384 MHz respectively compared to prior versions of SGX540 typically at 200 MHz making them theoretically much faster.[15] 4470 has a PowerVR SGX544 GPU that supports DirectX 9 which enables it for use in Windows 8 as well as a dedicated 2D graphics core for increased power efficiency up to 50-90%%.[16] All OMAP 4 come with an IVA3 multimedia hardware accelerator with a programmable DSP that enables 1080p Full HD and multi-standard video encode/decode.[17][18][19][20][21] OMAP 4 uses ARM-Cortex A9s with ARMs SIMD engine (Media Processing Engine, aka NEON) which may have a significant performance advantage in some cases over Nvidia Tegra 2s Cortex-A9s with non-vector floating point units.[22] It also uses a dual-channel LPDDR2 memory controller compared to Nvidia Tegra 2s single-channel memory controller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAP#OMAP_4

It'll do.
Besides, that screen!
(I had a great dell laptop that ran 1080p on a 17" screen and it was gorgeous. FireHD is 4X that. At 10% of the price.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #291
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
too bad no gps I was hoping for that
It wasn't mentioned, but perhaps when we see the specs (particularly for 4GLTE model) it will be there. I think there is a map app included and it wouldn't make sense to have one with no GPS or at least aGPS.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-06-2012 at 03:45 PM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #292
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Yeah, the slightly extra screen size is nice and so is the res bump but Being able to use my distance tool outside and having market assess is a must.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #293
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Definately pre-ordering a Paper Weight. The 8.9" Fire HD is interesting, but I'm not sure yet.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #294
MikeCL
Zealot
MikeCL began at the beginning.

Device: KKB-3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It wasn't mentioned, but perhaps when we see the specs (particularly for 4GLTE model) it will be there.
Wayy out of my price range.
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #295
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Put up the Paperwhite model pre-order and take my damn money, Amazon .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #296
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Interesting. If I found the Nexus 7 acceptable to me, then I'd find the Fire HD a slam dunk. ie. if I pretend that both have a microSD cardslot, which one would I choose?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #297
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Put up the Paperwhite model pre-order and take my damn money, Amazon .
It's up.

Kindle Paperwhite
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #298
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I'm just catching up on comments and what is new and I'm itching to click on something that says "buy now". It doesn't matter which, I just have the itch to click.
Welcome to the club! I've been checking the Amazon page before each thread I visit.

Oh, God, we're hopeless!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #299
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
Thanks for that.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #300
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Is the Fire HD a quad-core?
No. The OMAP 4470 is a dual-core ARM9 @ 45nm, which is getting a bit old.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote