Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Definitely wait or buy another product.
Totally disappointed that the cheaper and smaller K3 has more features than the bigger and expensive KDXG. The K3 has more and better PDF support than the KDXG...Won't buy it a second time
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
sendoushi
sendoushi began at the beginning.

Device: none
But some features... like the pdf support can be improved by firmware.
About other device... a 10''... there isn't anything good around... from what i see. Hanvon would be wonderful, the new color one but that will be expensive and won't come near the market until end of the year.

when do you think that amazon will come out with a new dx?
sendoushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #18
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Definitely wait or buy another product.
Totally disappointed that the cheaper and smaller K3 has more features than the bigger and expensive KDXG. The K3 has more and better PDF support than the KDXG...Won't buy it a second time
I have a first generation DX and have been very happy with it. There may be better tech on the horizon, but that's always the case with developing technologies. Given their release schedule over the last few years I would expect to see an announcement, if there is going to be one concerning the DX, coming around June or so and an actual release in late summer, early fall.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
sendoushi

Hmm... From the rumors i here... new design would be nice... wifi version too but... I don't think that i'll wait until end of the summer. Too much time... I prefer to buy now and if the new dx really takes some nice stuff maybe i sell the one i have and buy the new but... i don't think that worths the wait...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #20
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I've really been wanting the DXG to be offered for Refurb - maybe if they come out w/ a new model over the summer I'll get my wish.

I really can't give you much advice other than, if you really want one then buy it. Amazon Development keeps a pretty tight lid on what is coming up right up until about a month or two before the announcement. There are usually a couple of "leaks" then to start generating talk.

But overall, none of us can tell you the when-s and what-s of the next Kindle Generations and you can drive yourself nuts trying to time it.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I have a first generation DX and have been very happy with it. There may be better tech on the horizon, but that's always the case with developing technologies. Given their release schedule over the last few years I would expect to see an announcement, if there is going to be one concerning the DX, coming around June or so and an actual release in late summer, early fall.
There is already better tech available at Amazon...look at K3.
It's clear that Amazon won't improve the KDXG firmware to include at least the same features as the K3. Maybe they save those for the next DX.

There are other 9" Zoll devices already available.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
DXG pdf handling can be improved- this is proven by Duokan- so memory isn't a limitation on that front.

Touch screen? I doubt it. Look at the display on any touchscreen e-ink reader out- they are all glossy and poor contrast. E-ink pearl with amazon's matt glass (or whatever it is) cover is the best looking, most readable display available- why would they wreck it by adding touch capability?

I can see adding wifi, and I can see updating the 'joystick" to the K3 type- both would be improvements.

I can survive without wifi- a USB cable works fine, and Duokan takes care of adding additional formats and better pdf handling for now, so they would have to make some really awesome updates for me to want to switch to a new model.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
sendoushi

I agree with your statement that there are already better tech avaiable at amazon and that they're saving it for the next DX but to wait until end of the summer? Well I prefer to buy it. It already has pearl eink right? So... what technologies (already avaiable) could make the DX better? WIFI? I don't care about it. New design? That would be good but... i don't want to wait until the end of the summer for it... doesnt worth it. What else?

EDIT: Going with Mark opinion... I don't think the new design is worth the waiting. About wifi... same! Duokan? Hum... I have to inform my self about that!

Where can I find those Zoll devices?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #24
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rehorst View Post
Look at the display on any touchscreen e-ink reader out- they are all glossy and poor contrast. E-ink pearl with amazon's matt glass (or whatever it is) cover is the best looking, most readable display available- why would they wreck it by adding touch capability?
Have you checked Sony's PRS-x50 models ?
They have pearl AND touchscreen and it's great.
They use a better touchscreen technology than others.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #25
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Have you checked Sony's PRS-x50 models ?
They have pearl AND touchscreen and it's great.
They use a better touchscreen technology than others.
If it only offered a way to darken the font contrast and have more font size choices, it would be perfect....but alas it doesn't and it was returned for the Kindle that does....But overall, as in build quality and touchscreen, very nice machine....
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote