Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Yeah I have to say syncing speed would be low on my list of things that would matter when I bought a ebook reader. I suppose if one had a extremely slow sync speed, but as of yet none of the ebook readers that I have, have that slow of a sync speed!
I'm assuming that synching means synching among different devices so that you can start reading on one device and finish reading on another. With that understanding, I have never synched my Sony Reader; either I read the book on the Sony or I don't read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Once again people think having a lot of memory is important, while I like having a SD card slot, I think its pretty much a consensus that keeping more than 50 or so books on ones reader becomes frustrating and difficult when it comes to sorting.
My Sony has an SD slot and I've never used it (well, once, to try some music). I generally read a book and then delete it; very few novels are worth rereading. I keep about 150 books on my device and after deleting a few, I add a few. If I can't find several books to read among the 150 on the device, I should shoot myself for having loaded them on in the first place.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #17
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Consumers Reports is overrated
I'm a subscriber to CR and I agree it has its faults but I have found it to be the best source for information on big-price objects like autos and appliances, as well as on more esoteric items like paints.

The one thing that annoys me is that ratings are often not regularly updated so the review may refer to items that are no longer available.
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I also don't get the importance of synching. Whenever I finally get the new Astak that's coming out soon, I don't plan to read the same book on both of my readers at the same time. I usually have several books going at the same time anyway.
I read on my iPhone and my Sony and it does get to be a pain in the rear end when you have to switch back and forth. I can't take my Sony 505 wherever I go, but my iPhone is always with me. My wife reads on her K2 most of the time but if we're out and about with the kids she'll want to read the same book on my iPhone. She's always in sync and never has to hunt down where she left off. She loves the sync feature!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
I saw the review too and it was obvious shill review for Imax anything other than Imax was a fail. Consumer reports USED to be a great magazine about 10 years ago but that was before the started take ads and switch from subscriber funding only and started begin sold over the counter in supermarkets. Lately all they will advise a excellent product is most expensive (and not necessarily best) solutions for anything. For me the aluratek libre pro is the best e reader solution reguardless of what consumer reports bought and payed for apple shill might say.
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Consumer reports USED to be a great magazine about 10 years ago but that was before the started take ads and switch from subscriber funding only and started begin sold over the counter in supermarkets.
Consumer Reports doesn't accept ads and has been sold at newstands for at least 25 years. Are you confusing CR with some other consumer magazine?
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #21
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1xxx View Post
Consumer reports USED to be a great magazine about 10 years ago but that was before the started take ads and switch from subscriber funding only and started begin sold over the counter in supermarkets.
Consumer Reports doesn't accept ads. Neither does ShopSmart, it's sister magazine that is featured at supermarket checkouts.

It's major competitor does accept advertising, but I can't remember the name (Consumer Something, Reviews Something?). Plus, of course, all the tech mags for each electronics genre accept ads.

I do have to agree that CR isn't very up-to-date in this internet age. I let their sub lapse years ago, when I started reading gadget blogs/sites and got things like handson VIDEO reviews.

The only real value I see in CR is in their longevity/warranty/quality/service ratings (especially for cars). That's something that a tech site can't provide, with it's "latest & greatest, right-now" emphasis.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 05-10-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: wrong name of competitor
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #22
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Consumer Digest is the one that takes ads.

I don't always agree with CR mainly because what I consider important isn't necessarily the same as CR. Our last three automobiles were purchased based mostly on CR.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #23
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I don't trust people who review toasters and microwaves. And when they test cars, they never test the upscale versions of American cars against the Japanese ones.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote